Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

So many people think making yogurt is a mystery, and believe they must buy all kinds of specialty yogurt makers… Not so. Take a gallon of milk (whole milk is best), bring it to scalding (bubbles just starting to form) while stirring constantly to prevent burning on the bottom. Remove from heat, cover it to keep alien bacteria/yeasts out, and let cool to nice and warm, but not hot. (Ladies, think baby bottle temp.) When it is at proper temp, mix in one cup of live culture yogurt (from the store or your fridge). Put in a warm, draft-free place as if you are raising bread. (I use my unlit oven.) I do this in the evening after supper, and let it ‘work’ until morning. Just before breakfast, I open the oven and voila! Nice, thick, creamy yogurt. About 1/4 the price of store-bought.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I heard about this last year and was really amazed :)

That means unlimited yoghurt! I heard some people keep this going for several months with one yoghurt and just use fresh milk.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

This sounds awsume Wild!! I have a four year old who can live on yogurt! Does what jay was mentioning work as well?

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Don’t know if I’m misunderstanding Jay.  As far as I know, you have to scald the milk each time, not just use ‘fresh’ milk, so alien bacteria and possibly enzymes don’t interfere with the yogurt bacteria.  But yes, you can continue to use your own culture for as long as it works.  Unlimited supply…

Sometimes it get contaminated and you have to get new culture from the store–or someone else.  My only problem has been that using older culture, it sometimes gets a “gooey” consistency like okra. Nothing wrong with the taste.

However, if you let it ‘work’ too long before popping in the fridge, it will get quite sour instead of the initial creamy taste.  And sometimes separate a little.  BUT this is how many poorer countries keep their milk without refrigeration.  In India, they mix chopped raw onions and spices with it and use it as a side dish during meals–call it “raita”.  They also use yogurt, watered down and called ‘buttermilk’, on plain rice for a ‘poor man’s meal.”

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

My girl does this …………..I wont eat it .

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Ha Tolik!  Neither will Bushrat.  He squinches up his face when he sees me eating it.  He’ll only try the commercial stuff with sweetener and fruit from the store.  I grew up on yogurt (before yogurt was ‘cool’) so it’s part of my life.  Plus, all those good bugs in the GI tract keep bad ones out.

But remember this is the way to keep dairy nutrients when you have no refrigeration…

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL , that is true , I guess I will have to learn to eat several things she makes that I normally wont eat . I will eat the store made stuff , all day long , but the home made is a different story . It’s like cheese , if you saw how some of it was made ………….you might not eat it , and I love cheese . the sharper , the better .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.