Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I have some recipes for foods that are self-perpetuating, or magical in other ways, which people might be interested in trying.

1) One already mentioned in another post that is an easy veggie to grow is the mung bean (not really self-perpetuating, but you get a crop every week for not a lot of work and even if there’s no sun and no dirt available). If you are interested in trying your hand at it, here are some simple instructions:
    – Put 1-2 T. of the dried mung beans (can be found in bulk at most grocery stores) into a narrow glass jar. What I use, and which works well, is one leftover from Lipton instant tea, but most any will do.
    – Cover the beans with water and let them soak overnight. The next day, drain off the water.
    – Thereafter, every morning and night, rinse the beans/sprouts in water and drain. It helps to prop the glass jar up in a shallow bowl, like a fancy soup bowl, because then any water drains down toward the neck, but your beans don’t fall out.
    – Cover the bean jar with a towel or other cloth, the rest of the time when not doing the 2x/day rinse. In 5-7 days, the jar will be FULL of mung bean sprouts, which are high in vitamins and give you fiber, too. Of course, they are low-calorie, so if you are relying on them as a food source, or for a number of people, you will have to make a lot, and maybe a few jars per day, per person, so that you can have them every day when you start harvesting. On the plus side, they are generally very inexpensive to purchase, unlike the finished product that can run $12/lb.

2) This yeast bread is no-knead and develops flavor alcohols for what is essentially a perpetual deliciously-aged loaf of homemade bread. I posted this link instead of the perpetual yeast-making link I originally intended (which is a sourdough bread), which is also helpful but I cannot find the link just now. I will post when I do, or welcome someone else’s best easy recipe for starter! http://jezebel.com/5881847/how-to-make-easy-fast-foolproof-bread-from-scratch.

3) Similarly, this is an incredibly easy recipe for Greek yogurt overnight — a gallon for just the cost of a jug of whole milk! Best of all, since it makes yogurt, you can use starter from this yogurt in the next jug of milk, and thus it works a lot like the yeast bread in making its own cultures. I should mention that I haven’t tried this one yet, but I understand that it works as stated:
    – Buy 1 gallon of whole milk. Heat it to warm – about the temperature for a bottle (that is, you can dip a finger in without burning yourself; about 100-110 F.).
    – Dump 3-4 T. of Greek yogurt into the milk.
    – Let it sit unrefrigerated overnight (if you can keep it somewhat warm, like in a closed oven or microwave, that is even better, but just on the countertop is fine, too).
    – The next day, you will have a full gallon of Greek yogurt to use. It is not sweet, it’s the real stuff, so you will want to flavor as suited to your tastes if that is too unfamiliar to you.

I got this yogurt recipe from a Reddit user named MustardKetchup (probably not his real name…). Also there was a nice-sounding usage suggestion to go along with it: stuff prunes (dried plums) with almonds, then soak in the yogurt for several hours or overnight (make the yogurt first, so this would be the next night that you do it, not the same night). The next day you have a sweet, nutritious treat for breakfast that is sort of puddling-like and very tasty.

Profile photo of sootsme
    sootsme
    Survivalist
    member1

If you are doing sprouts, and you do have dirt, your sprouts will have a much higher nutrient content, even though they are more work to rinse/clean.

Profile photo of instructor
    instructor
    Survivalist
    member3

I like that Anika thank you for sharing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.