Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    AncientVoice
    AncientVoice
    Survivalist
    rprepper

This is not my recipe but I make it regularly and enjoy it. It’s a hard crusted, dense bread. The 2 most important parts? It’s EASY and tastes good! Most of the ingredients should be on hand in the pantry.

This recipe is all over the internet and other forums, but having the recipe in your personal folder makes for easy reference. Again, it’s EASY and it may introduce a new tool (baking) to your knowledge and skill base.

Ingredients:
    3 cups all-purpose flour (or half & half wheat/all purpose)
    1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon yeast
    (“instant” yeast works better but regular yeast is OK)
    1 1/2 cups tepid (lukewarm) water

Cook time:
    28 minutes total at 500*F

Instructions:
    Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, yeast) in bowl and mix together. Add 1.5 cups lukewarm water and mix. Use your hands (God’s first eating and mixing utensils) but you can use a rubber spatula if you like. You don’t need to mix very long, just long enough for it all to come together into dough, only about 20 seconds or so. Scrape around the edges and bottom of the bowl to make sure all the flour is mixed in.

Cover with plastic wrap, tinfoil, dish towel, etc. and let sit for 12-18 hours. I’ve let is set less with quick rise yeast. Longer is OK. I’ve let it go 24 hours before and still turned out great. The dough will triple or more in size during this period.

After 12-18 hours has passed, turn out the dough onto a well-floured work surface. It’s going to be really sticky so flour it well. Flatten it out into a 12″ or so circle, fold it in half, then grab the two “corners” of the half-circle and fold them into the center.

Preheat oven to 500* with the empty dutch oven/stockpot and lid inside. You want the container to be piping hot when you put the dough in.

I’ve only used a dutch oven to cook this. I’m sure other covered, oven safe containers will work. You might want to dust the bottom before placing dough in for baking.

Once oven is preheated, place the dough with the seam of your folds UP inside your stockpot, cover with lid, and bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove lid and bake for another 13 minutes.

If you want to mix things up a little, add 1/4 cup honey to the recipe.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.