Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I’ve put this thread up, not because we need even more things to be afraid of, but because I thought the linked website was pretty good because it offers some practical advice.

It shows how, using some simple measures and household tools, you can reduce the potential for damage to your possessions if a tremor or quake occurs. It’s good if your home survives the quake, but even better if your possessions aren’t broken or crashed on the floor.

http://www.eqc.govt.nz/sites/public_files/documents/quake-safe-your-home-2012.pdf

Quakes can not only move side to side, but up and down as well. They can hit hard at the start or build up in intensity in the middle or end. I was in a small tremor once and I saw the room around me flexing in a wave of motion; I watched it travel from one side of the room to the other and down the corridor in a pattern like an ocean wave and not in a sort of chaotic vibration. I expect there are people here who have been through more intense experiences.

For those who want some idea about what can happen in a quake, this video may be of help

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I was in the 89′ San Francisco quake. I was 3 stories up in a building when it hit. I saw the same ripple you did except I was looking out the window and it was the whole ground that was doing it. It boggles the mind to see something you consider so solid rippling like liquid. It was terrifying and awesome all at the same time. There are a few different lines of thought on what to do in an earthquake. One I found interesting is called the triangle of life. I can’t remember the guy’s name that wrote it. I will see if I can find it. His point was to get next to something large and sturdy not under it. If there is a collapse the object may get crushed but will create small triangles of space right next to it. If you are under the object you get crushed but if you are next to it you may very well wind up in one of those triangle spaces. I will see if I can find the article. It was very interesting.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

Interesting this post. I was woke up by a 6.0 at 3:20 in the morning last night. Shook for about 20 seconds which doesn’t seem like long but by earth quack standards it is. Some areas out here got quite a bit of damage.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

It’s one of those oddball co-incidences that happen in life, in that I started a thread about quake preparedness without knowing one had happened in California.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great post Elijah. Some good information on that site. We are building in a earthquake heavy zone and in fact were just a few miles away from one of the heaviest earthquakes ever recorded here a few months ago. That was 6.4 and the earth was shaking pretty strongly.

We planned for that and build several smaller houses that are connected but do not share the same foundations. That way they can move freely and do not break so easily. We also build with high quality steel roof to have a less top heavy place and avoid debris falling on our heads. We got through this whole ordeal without any damage.

Always important to really know the natural hazards in the areas you live and travel to.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I was in a small EQ while sitting in my car parked. The ripple in the ground effect is weird. I thought I was going crazy or having a medical problem. But I felt it first before I saw it, it took me a while to realize what was happening. It’s funny now. Although it did make me realize how many unreinforced old stone buildings there are around here. Someday ….. Bam and down they come. Just like Napa only most of the people inside will be killed. these buildings will just crumble. I tell my wife and she laughs … We don’t have EQs around here lol.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.