Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dtrammel
    dtrammel
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hello everyone, my name is David Trammel. I’m 56 and currently living in Saint Louis, in the state of Missouri, US. I’ve lived here on and off all my life, but travel extensively, living both in Florida and California during my life. I am single with no children.

Currently I work at a company that sells raw metal to companies, as a machine operator but have worked in various manufacturing fields. I did spend 10 years working in Hollywood in movie special effects from the mid 90s to 2004. I think of myself as a craftsman, someone who is comfortable working with his hands.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I first got into survival and preparedness in the early 1980s. In a bit of teenage angst, I had joined the US Army in 1976, spending 4 years in. I was stationed in Augsburg, West Germany and then Ft Lewis in Washington State. That was the height of the Cold War.

I went back to college after getting out. There I meet several others, who were like me concerned we might face a nuclear war, and we decided we would survive it if it came. So we did alot of preparedness and planning. We used the popular role play gaming at the time to simulate our actions if it had happened. Our group had access to a 400 acre BOL where we taught marksmanship and gun training, and had several dozen people, each of which kept a BOB and weapon in the trunk of their cars.

When the Berlin Wall fell in 89, I let alot of my preparedness slip, but the last few years I have made it more a priority.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I’m a long time reader of John Michael Greer, who write the incredible peak oil blog, The Archdruid Report. Peak Oil is the concept that resources are getting scarce, not just oil but everything from clean water, to fertilizer and that as they do the world is going to get alot harsher. Something that will much conflict and strife, but which will take place over decades even centuries.

It doesn’t mean that there won’t be sudden instances of localized violence and domestic disturbance as things slowly come apart. There will, and we need to be prepared for those as well.

Unfortunately, guns and more active prep like what Selco teaches can have a polarizing effect on the discussion on a forum, so there we don’t talk about the harder side of preparedness on that site, or its daughter forum Green Wizards. That’s why I’m glad to see this forum, where we have someone who actually saw raw side of humanity and is willing to share his observations.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

I’m a “Survive In Place” person. I have no plans to Bug Out unless its a natural disaster, like a tornado or nuclear accident. We have several reactors west of us here in Saint Louis. Even local civil disturbance I expect will be short before the authorities reassert control. The advantages of being in the Heartland of the US.

What I do expect is that the US will slowly over the years get harder and harder to live in. Become a third world country like Argentina, where the ultra rich get all the privileges and the rest of us struggle to make it day to day. I even see the possibility of the rise of an ultra conservative, even fascist political party here that takes control.

For the most part I’m preparing to keep my head down and under the radar.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“Fortune favors the Bold, Chance favors the Prepared”

It was on the t-shirt a demolitions company gave me once, lol. If you want someone who understands what is really important, talk to a person who blows things up for a living.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

“I’ll see you when I get back.”

I’m a firm believer in reincarnation, its the only way I can resolve the bad things I see in day to day life. I think I’ll keep coming back until I’ve learned all the lessons this life has to offer so I’m not scared of my own mortality. That doesn’t mean I won’t be screaming as Death comes for me, just screaming with a smile until my magazines run dry and the slide locks back.

I look forward to the discussion here

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Hello David, glad to have you here!
    I also believe that we are slowly going down in whole series of bad things, sooner or later one event will push us over the edge into the chaos.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi David,
    welcome to the community. It’s funny that a demolition guy handed you this t-shirt but considering the kind of job they do, they deal with a lot of collapses daily :)

One of the best things in recent years was that I came to terms with my own mortality. I will do everything I can to survive but Im not scared of dying and that helps me to keep a cooler head when it matters most.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Hi David.
    ““Fortune favors the Bold, Chance favors the Prepared” – I like that one. Most people seem to think that if they ignore things and bumble along in their lives everything will work out okay. Be prepared is not crazy, but about as sensible as one can get. Welcome to the forum.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of dtrammel
    dtrammel
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

The demo guy was rigging some minor pyro for some B-Movie I was doing props for. We got to talking as we waited for them to film the sequence. The company I worked for didn’t do explosive effects because you really get under the microscope from the Feds when they let you buy high explosives lol.

The t-shirt is long gone but I always keep that log in mind. To me it says that if you are the first one to jump in, often Fortune will reward your boldness and you’ll get through it somehow BUT the ones that have taken the time to do a bit of preparedness, are the ones that can take a chance encounter or lucky break and win in the end.

I’d rather be prepared than bold everytime.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I think it also matters how often it is ok to fail. When it comes to business, being bold makes sense, but you don’t die as a result. It is all a matter of common sense and assessing risks. I think by learning to make better decisions you can really improve your chances to survive a lot, but this area isnt as sexy as tacticool gear of course.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Georgethreshman
    Georgethreshman
    Survivalist
    member2

Disasters take many forms and require different actions. Last week a steel shed I kept some survival supplies in collapsed from weight of snow. It was reinforced but roof weak. I also lost my car but have a back-up. Learn to be flexible. Prepare for worst, hope for best & help others while ur still alive. Was eating my survival supplies. .rice, beans, pasta sauce, hot sauce for a month helping homeless friend during cold winter. He has home now but helping me with the shed. Another friend helping me get my reserve car on road.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

David,
    Glad to have you here!
    I’m prepping for a nuclear disaster/attack as well, so I’d like to hear you share your knowledge sometime!
    Hannah

Georgethreshman
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi David
    Im working on YouTube project regarding how to determine amount of radiation they are getting. Hope by May it will be ready.
    George

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

welcome

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome you have had an interesting experience this lifetime!

Georgethreshman
    Survivalist
    member2

When SHTF triage your problems & work on the most serious first.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.