Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

A while ago we had a discussion about drones but I can’t remember what thread that was on so I’m starting a new one.

I hadn’t ever seen one in real life until yesterday. I was doing a little work out at the edge of my hay field and a couple kids came onto my property to fly their drone. At one point it landed near me so when the kids came to fetch it I asked them how high it went (500′) and whether the camera gave good quality photos (yes). So now for possible future reference I know we have one in the neighborhood. I don’t know who the kids were though or where they live but it has to be somewhere in our little hamlet being they walked to my place.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

MB good that you didn’t just run them off for trespassing. If there are other flyers in the area they may know who and where they are. Might not hurt to check that relationship out further. As far as picture quality is concerned you probably really don’t want to know. Fortunately right now high quality(zoom capable) is still pretty expensive but like anything else it is getting cheaper with time. They will go considerably higher than 500′ trust me :)

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

matt76, I am OK with folks coming onto my property so long as they aren’t damaging anything, leaving a mess, or doing anything illegal. A baseball field on private property is a bit unusual but it predates me living here. It is mostly used by a kids league,and they maintain it. There is as well some casual use by others for a variety of purposes, and sometimes I see folks using the hay field off season to let dogs run around for example, and now the kids with the drone. A bit of a cultural time warp here I suppose.

Coming back to the drones, I will keep an eye out so as to determine who the kids are/where they live. Part of what I have done is make mental notes of who has what skills or assets should the SHTF and we as a community need to come together for mutual aid and support. Knowing someone here has a drone could come in handy.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

If you have the right drone , some are very good , some are not that great . For spotting , they are very effective , and if you get one with a good ceiling , very hard to shoot down . They are probably better now , but they used to have a pretty short flight time , say around 20 min. before you better think about bringing it back in .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

They are popular in Alaska. Here is another source of info

http://www.cbsnews.com/drones/

Info on recent developments at FAA and drones
    “FAA reveals drone registry to help stop reckless use”

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/faa-reveals-drone-registry-to-help-stop-reckless-use/

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi all! Happy 2016.

Already took 2 out last year sometime. Noisy, intrusive… We had a community meeting about them. They can scare your livestock like crazy. Wasn’t the good old government going/in process of registering them? Friend has a small about palm sized one – makes barely a whisper. Creepy as hell.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Yep. It’s now mandatory (and retroactive) to register all drone purchases. Pretty soon people will need a permit to own one, and keep log books on their use, just like “real” pilots. They’ll likely be required to take ongoing training in order to keep their permits active.

But I have to admit, I chuckled at your description of the little palm-sized one, as well as your comment about already taking out two of them last year. I’m curious about what they were apparently trying to do, and how you took them out. Any retaliation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.