Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Does anyone have any practical experience or applied techniques for this?

I’m reading a bunch of online ‘advice’ on how ‘theoretically’ it’s done, but really want to establish techniques or principles that have been pressure tested and found effective…

Thanks everyone!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Its in the realm of drinking toilet water. I have a TDS-3 meter. yes no maybe. Boil it for 20 minutes to be sure.

If this advice is no good…. lol

* its your pool. A public pool…. eweeeeee

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the input, I await other replies…

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Toby C – I have a pool, it’s winter and there is no way I would drink my pool water without boiling it first or running it through one of my purifiers. It is not being circulated so no oxygen is being added to it either. Mice, the odd snacks and other things some how always find their way in there under the cover and die. Unh. It is loaded with ‘shock’ at the moment, the ph is out of whack, so it is not a thick green/black soup when it is opened back up in the spring.

When we had a storm a few years ago before I got the solar generator to run the well pump, we did need to use the pool water. But it was summer, the water was chlorinated, ph balanced, and the solar equipment I use in it kept it skimmed and circulated. I still ran it through a purifier. Always better safe then sorry with water.

Here’s what the government says: ‘You should always view your pool as “backup” water; keep the water treated; you never know when it will be needed! The maintenance of the free chlorine residual will prevent establishment of any microorganisms. The maintenance level should be kept about 3-5ppm free chlorine. (See Water Purification for detailed information on purifying pool water.) If other stored water stocks are not available, remove the necessary pool water and boil it or just treat with chlorine to the normal 5ppm. It is best to err on the side of caution.

Covering the pool at all times when not in use is a very good idea. Try to keep the cover clean and wash the area you put it on when removing it from the pool.’

One bad episode in SAmerica years ago (I avoided the water but forgot about the ice in a drink and wasn’t sure I’d live to regret it)) makes me overly cautious with water.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby C, Use a good water filter. This website has a cheap way to make a very good water filter. http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/Default.asp

Profile photo of dreamerhps
    dreamerhps
    Survivalist
    member2

Great information tweva! I have a pool and have thought this would make an excellent water supply backup in the event that my supply runs out. Never thought about keeping the pool going throughout the year. We live in southeast Georgia and it’s really warm most of the time, so this should not be a problem to do. Thanks again for the info.

Profile photo of TheyCallMeMoose
    TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

i have a water bottle from Thermos attached to my bug out bag that i intend to use JUST for this… its called a Thermos Tritan…it says the filters filter out chlorine, so i have it for that application.
    heres a link on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Certified-Tritan-Filtration-22-Ounce/dp/B00KBUGQJS

now it does say “reduces” contaminants such as chlorine, not exactly sure what that means but if im out of water and all i have left is my swimming pool, id like to have this bottle
    i really really hope this was helpful, i just saw the topic and said hey i have a bottle for that! may have to re evaluate my plans but i felt like the input would be nice :)

"I'd be a dumbass if i didn't plan for EVERY contingency"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

callsign_moose Better then that is the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter and it is cheaper $19.95.

http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Lifestraw-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B00N9GFMR8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TJHW4N69NYQM41QSYHQ

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

If you are using an activated carbon filter it should work….. but if you really really want to be sure.

Can the water in a pressure cooker. Filter then can. There isn’t much that won’t kill including spores.

Profile photo of foodforthought
    foodforthought
    Survivalist
    member2

Agreed. if you strain it, filter it , and cook it, you should be safe. Any combination of that (and iodine tabs) should be sufficient.
    I was worried about cleanliness when i started saving water, but then i realized that you can clean it, and built myself a Berkey.

upward and onward

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

For any non-clear water, I suggest first putting it through something like coffee filters so as to strain out some of the sediment. The good filters will last longer that way. My daughter & her hubby are getting a Big Berkey from me for Christmas being it isn’t likely they could make it to my place. My son & his wife are getting the Berkey Sports bottles with extra filters, being they would be coming to my place, but I want to make sure they have something for short term usage. I’m keeping a Berkey Sports bottle in my truck as one of my BOB preps.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, Great idea to first put the water through a coffee filter. Brulen a pressure cooker can help but it will not clean the water of chemicals like a Berkey will. If you do not have the cash for a Berkey you can build out a system like this one, http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/Default.asp Just make sure you buy food grade buckets.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.