Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ok after talking with my brother and his girl friend. We have come down to google maps. I am asking if you feel up to it, to take a look and think about what you would do.

This is the rough address ( Chalkers Place, St Johns Newfoundland.) His job is to get two boys ages 7 and 9 plus his girlfriend to “(Ferry Ramp, Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s, NL), “. It may not look to bad,

#1 But this will be on foot.
    #2 Chalkers place, is classed a housing development.
    #3 They are moving through intersections and business areas then a highway and that just gets you out of the city. Then you need to travel through country on a busy road to get to the Ferry!.
    #4 They don’t own any guns.
    #5 They are mostly healthy, other then he has a bad hip, which does slow him down slightly.But he is 5’8 , and 250 lbs and fairly fit. She is 5′ 10, and skinny. The boys are average boys, one having adhd and is a pain in the you know where. The other is alright as long as you can keep his mouth shut, lol.

Google will show most of the trip for you to give you ideas of what they will need to travel through.
    You your self can make this as hard on your self as you wish or as simple.
    Just remember Newfoundland weather is Stupid crazy.

map

just to add this is a 6-8 hour walk in good weather for a normal healthy person. they will also be carrying backpacks w/ sleeping bags and one tent. And also will have with them a 45 lb well trained Siberian husky

You will be greeted by a family boat and family once you make to the ferry

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Knowing how bad St. John’s has become over the last couple of years, I don’t envy them one bit.

If I were to do this, what I’d want to do is cover as much ground as possible at first in the shortest amount of time to get out of the city. St. John’s isn’t south central LA by any means, but over the last few years it’s become pretty sketchy, so I’d want to get out of that as quickly as possible. For your brother, that may be a problem due to his hip.

Best bet, in my opinion, is to travel fast an light, and to be in the grey man mode, as to not draw attention to yourself. Depending on the situation, however, stealth might be key. If that were the case, travelling at night, being rather slow and deliberate with your movements would be best. Noise/light discipline would be a must, especially early on in the city and the outskirts. Lay low during the day, keep watch of potential threats, y’know, the basic tacticool stuff lol.

No fires, no white lights, no loud talking, commo gear, if available, would have ear bud or the like, as to not make a sound when you’re receiving. It would suck, a lot, and take much longer, but it’s often better to be safe than sorry.

If it was me, however, with no other tag-a-longs, I’d be scootin’ out of there as fast as humanly possible. But I’d much rather take a truck lol

(also, I have a very limited background in tactics/movements like this, but I have knowledgeable friends who have given me a few tips. Plus I read a lot)

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Yes Mr Red I believe as well it certainly wont be a fun trip for them. And from your point of view I gather slow and at night would likely work wonders for them. Taking a look at the maps on google he has several intersections that are hot spots as I would call it. They are large stores, gas stations and smaller stores that will likely be looter central.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

you might want to consider bikes, watching old viet nam footage i see bikes loaded with gear and men pushing them. your terrain may be too rough so fabricating even a two wheel dolly you pull might work.
    also instead of pack sacks, look at buck boards, or ruck sacks. that carry the weaght at the hips.
    maybe designating one of the kids as safety watch, puts pride and responsability in them. they might push harder.
    in the hills i have a two wheel dolly, larger wheels and spread a bit more. goes where i go except over large trees.as a two man system we tie a rope and one guy pulls the rope the other push’s or pulls the handles. works well.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

one thing for sure, when a kid breaks down its time to give him a break. or carry his load and him. i like the idea of leaving a day ahead, you can always sit in hiding to wait for the boat. i can pull a two wheel cart and carry a medium bag, if the kids could work out a buddy system to help each other, and advance in a tag team way to make it interesting for them. id use the wife to hum a song or whisper off a count with the dog on a leash. if the dog can pull a buggy or have saddlebags for his own supplies even better…. as for other people spotting you i dont like the bottom or the top of a valley, mid range usually has animal trails or nature paths, maybe two at a time a small distance apart.periodicaly checking ahead and making eye contact with the rear. definately have to work out what you take with you. if danger areas cant be avoided and you cant wait for dark or you just gotta go now i would use my poncho and make myself as obscure as possable, {a couple convicts escaped in a snow storm by wraping a white sheet around themselves}. in populated sections walk in the ditch, keep your head down and mind your own bussiness. work out and train, look for an alternate path, safer, maybe easier. prep your poncho to look like the terrain your in..but i think if your prepping for it make a half way cache, a secure spot with a bit of food and water, maybe the makings of a good meal as moral booster., and a few goody’s to pump moral, like carying a little bag of candy, much better than my uncle giving me a little pebble and telling me to keep it on top of my tongue to keep my mouth wet. helps stop dehydration. thats it…i got busted at the intersection.
    i can see this type of exercise would be usefull…on another note, good thing their in newfoundland cause i hear theres no one nicer than a newfy…following this thread, i want to see how it turns out.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

If you are with few people who know what they do I would also suggest traveling through the park or more areas with places to hide. This is pointless if you travel with people who are not up for this. Getting out of the city fast is crucial. I would maybe look for some ways through Pippy Park and then just getting back to the main traffic ways.

The problem with this kind of planning is always that it is very situation specific. If you are ahead of the crowd and lawless phase, by all means use your car and regular roads.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Jay it is situation specific true. But He does have other optans in place. With the option of a car or truck at the beginning yes, climb in a take off. Is the first plan. But if the city roads fill up headed out of town, we are talking traffic jam. So getting out of town will likely end up on foot.

Darin He has looked at another route but in all honestly it is longer and harder. One thing he plans to do is watch the busy times now like rush hour, in hopes he can figure out which route tend to be faster. The route above is the most direct. I know one boy of the two is the type is a outdoorsy boy, he would likely be quite happy if given a small “leadership” role. And yes The husky carries her own weight as well. As well as protection from other animals.

I love the blend in Idea as well. I am gonna to talk to him about trying a test run, even if I have to go over and do the run with them. At least then we all have an idea of the journey. That would also help my side of the family who will be waiting with the boat for them.

George S. Patton

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

OK, just from a map appreciation and nothing more.

I would either go South to Rennies Mill river and follow this water course all the way to Big Pond. From here a couple of options, if it ‘has’ to be on foot handrail the Parkers Pond road to get around Windsor lake and continue on to the Ferry terminal.

Not sure of the land, but is it possible to cache/hide/secure a boat or canoe on the East shore of Windsor lake and then you can cross the water course that way?

Also, if you are driving the boat over to them, why not find an alternate pick up from the ferry terminal or is it even possible to navigate up and over the land mass to meet them on the East side of where they are?

I like the idea of sticking by a water course because it:

a) Provides much easier navigation
    b) Secures an essential resource
    c) Potentially significantly minimises load weight if you are not having to carry water
    d) Possibly gives greater concealment, passing under roads etc instead of travelling on them…

Just some ideas…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.