Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Oh good I didn’t know that. I will do a search on them now, Thank you Sir.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Freedom,
    I just put a post up in urban survival area on hunting in the city. Go check it out.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m not a sir :) just an old guy

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, I have always out of respect to my friends, when they do something for me have used the words thank you Sir.

Maybe it is they way my father raised me, I am doing the same to my son. I have used the saying on young man and they give me a look!

I thank you very much every time you point me to the right information or teach me something I do not know.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sir a good thing to teach youngsters, and thank your Sir!

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

Tweva, interesting post, thanks for sharing.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

You are welcome Rowan

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>tweva wrote:</div>Have the power company here nearby today rerunning lines/some new poles. Did you know that the ground around a downed live line can conduct current up to 35′ away?

Here’s some info you should note from the Electrical Safety Fundation about downed lines:<br>
    ‘Downed Power Lines

Downed power lines can carry an electric current strong enough to cause serious injury or even death. Electricity wants to move from a high voltage zone to a low voltage zone – and it could do that through your body.

Safety Tips

If you see a downed power line, move away from it and anything touching it. The ground around power lines – up to 35 feet away – may be energized.

Here’s some more good info especially if you run into down lines when bugging out. Lots of interesting stuff I didn’t know. HTH someone

• You cannot tell whether or not a power line is energized just by looking at it. You should assume that all downed power lines are live.
    • The proper way to move away from the power line is to shuffle away with small steps, keeping your feet together and on the ground at all times. This will minimize the potential for a strong electric shock.
    • If you see someone who is in direct or indirect contact with the downed line, do not touch the person. You could become the next victim. Call 911 for help.
    • Do not attempt to move a downed power line or anything else in contact with it by using an object such as a broom or stick. Even non-conductive materials like wood or cloth, can conduct electricity if even slightly wet.
    • Be careful not to touch or step in water near where a downed power line is located.
    • Do not drive over downed power lines.
    • If your car comes in contact with a downed power line while you are inside, stay in the car. Honk your horn to summon help, but direct others to stay away from your car.
    • If you must leave your car because it is on fire, jump out of the vehicle with both feet together and avoid contact with both the car and the ground at the same time. Shuffle away from the car.

Tweva, here’s something that may help you and your friends if you suffer an EMP attack:

http://www.survivopedia.com/svp_diyelectron/

So old fashioned … But it works.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Thank you sir, I will look into this for these summer. The .308 will do right. These wild hog are big, some from 400 to 600 pounds.

I think that hunting is my number one think that I am missing. I have all the other prepping down packed but the hunting is the one.

Be on your toes hunting hogs. Sometime the lines between hunted and hunter become blurred. A sow with babies is extremely dangerous. She will protect them. A boar hog is just in a bad mood all the time. They can move fast and the tusks are like razor sharp knives and they can use they to cut you to pieces if they get a hold of you.

They can also be hard to kill. My father tells a story of him, one of my uncles and my grandfather chasing a boar hog that they shot several times with shotguns loaded with buckshot and was finally killed when it charged my dad and he shot it in the head with a .30-.30 rifle about 10 feet away from him. My dad describes seeing that hog running at him as one of the scariest moments of his life.

On the other hand, the meat is delicious.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pheonix, Thank you for the story of your dad. I will go hog hunting after the summer ends.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

If, after SHTF, you must go into an area with a downed power line try this:
    Follow the line back. Look for a knife switch type breaker (pull it open to kill power and push it closed to power up). They are always on the very top of the pole attached to the line. May have a transformer and maybe not. You need a long wooden/plastic pole with a hook on the end. Do not, not, climb pole!
    If this is before SHTF do nothing except call it in.
    Robin

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Once the power is off and it is safe to touch the lines they can be re-purposed for a multitude if things. Without electricity in them they are steel cables.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.