Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Have the power company here nearby today rerunning lines/some new poles. Did you know that the ground around a downed live line can conduct current up to 35′ away?

Here’s some info you should note from the Electrical Safety Fundation about downed lines:
    ‘Downed Power Lines

Downed power lines can carry an electric current strong enough to cause serious injury or even death. Electricity wants to move from a high voltage zone to a low voltage zone – and it could do that through your body.

Safety Tips

If you see a downed power line, move away from it and anything touching it. The ground around power lines – up to 35 feet away – may be energized.

Here’s some more good info especially if you run into down lines when bugging out. Lots of interesting stuff I didn’t know. HTH someone

• You cannot tell whether or not a power line is energized just by looking at it. You should assume that all downed power lines are live.
    • The proper way to move away from the power line is to shuffle away with small steps, keeping your feet together and on the ground at all times. This will minimize the potential for a strong electric shock.
    • If you see someone who is in direct or indirect contact with the downed line, do not touch the person. You could become the next victim. Call 911 for help.
    • Do not attempt to move a downed power line or anything else in contact with it by using an object such as a broom or stick. Even non-conductive materials like wood or cloth, can conduct electricity if even slightly wet.
    • Be careful not to touch or step in water near where a downed power line is located.
    • Do not drive over downed power lines.
    • If your car comes in contact with a downed power line while you are inside, stay in the car. Honk your horn to summon help, but direct others to stay away from your car.
    • If you must leave your car because it is on fire, jump out of the vehicle with both feet together and avoid contact with both the car and the ground at the same time. Shuffle away from the car.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Years back , I used to live in Maine , that state has a low population and not very good infrastructure . Everybody understood that during the winter months , the power was going to be knocked out ………….you could depend on it , in the cities , power was restored within a week , if you were rural , it could take a month ………either way it was just a part of life , and you adapted . People that live in those states are better prepared for that kind of thing than people in places like Arizona , where things are modern and everything by in large works . They freak out if the power goes out for a few hours . All the stuff that we enjoy and that make our life easier , can be done without if we had to . But you do need to know how to deal with that , and have alternatives .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here with the hurricanes we know how bad power lines can be. Also have lived with no power many times so some what prepared but if it is an EMP that the power goes down for more the a year then no one is 100% prepared for that.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    How are your hunting skills?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah , that would be very ugly

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, I am in the city! I do not have much of a hunting skill. Read lots of books, go target shooting, have all the weapons to hunt. But not done much hunting.

I had a second home on an island from 2004 to 2009 and did a lot of fishing and netting so that area is covered.

I will have a problem hunting but if the SHTF I thing since I am in the city I will get to learn how to hunt, they just maybe not deer. So if I live though all out SHTF in this city.

I am really thinking of going in Oct or Nov with a trooper friend that goes deer hunting to Georgia every year.
    The problem is that my son is 14 and in school. I am the one that takes him and picks him up. I work at home. Wife works in the University. So have a hard time getting away in Oct or Nov because of school.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://m.myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/

Freedom,
    It looks like you could go hog hunting year round.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you sir, I will look into this for these summer. The .308 will do right. These wild hog are big, some from 400 to 600 pounds.

I think that hunting is my number one think that I am missing. I have all the other prepping down packed but the hunting is the one.

Profile photo of Tsar Alexander
    Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

This is a bit off topic, but what about power generation in general?

For instance, in my state (which is on the west coast), most of the power comes from Hydroelectricity–does that possibly mean states that use more “green energy” will have a better situation with providing power, as opposed to areas that rely on an input of some type of resources (like coal, which could get difficult to buy during hyperinflation). I mean, would a power company that can just generate power off the land really shut down power to all the millions of people who could not pay?

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic, but I thought electricity in general would be something good to talk about.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Freedom learn how to field dress the meat and how to preserve it too no good hunting to have it spoil or poison you

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Tsar ,
    My grandparents lived on a ranch during the great depression , they had a windmill to generate electricity with batteries , …………………..and that was in the 1930’s ………………lot of efficient ways now .

Profile photo of Tsar Alexander
    Tsar Alexander
    Survivalist
    member4

Well, I get that Tolik, in fact if I could, I would get my own power source, but my current housing arrangement does not allow for that, so I am very much dependent on the power company. I just really wonder if there is any chance central power can stay on in an area.

Dmitry Orlov touched on this in some of his collapse works, stating that in the US, unlike the USSR, you have to pay for utilities, meaning many people might get cut off.

Then again, hyperinflation might make payments easier. Who knows.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

@Tsar you could look into getting a basic solar panel to at least charge some gadgets. Gypsy posted a review of one and I added the one I usually carry further down in the thread.

If the law is gone I really doubt that the grid would still work for an extended amount of time. I dont want to paint the devil on the wall but I guess it would make sense for a gang to try to get a monopoly on power. This would be a very easy way to get rich. Just imagine how many people would be willing to trade their belongings for the privilege to keep having power.

Regarding downed lines, this is indeed pretty nasty. Where I live power lines are installed very random and without a system. It is not uncommon that people get electrocuted after heavy rains. I guess just being more aware of this helps. I try to stay away from the chaotic bundles of powerlines that cross the streets here, whenever I can.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, Thank you for that, I didn’t even think about how to preserve the meat.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Youtube has instructional videos on field dressing, quartering, buchering, sausage making, jerky, smoked meats and more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.