Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Everybody seems to think they can high tail it into the woods, mountains, boonies, etc., and make a go of it, these are called refugees. No home, no future. Sorry but not a good option for most.

Yes, when I saying to be far from the town, that does not mean to run to the woods alone and try to survive there for months or years. We still need people, just people who we know, and can trust, not crowded urban areas wher everyone will be possible enemy.

Surviving alone in wilderness may look cool, but very few people can do it.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Selco,

I totally agree that surviving in the wilderness by living off the land is very difficult, even in peacetime. When the SHTF, it will be next to impossible as many will try the same thing despite not having the ability to succeed. That will mean the already limited resources will soon be depleted.

My thought is to have land where supplies can be pre-positioned by hiding them in various locations so if one cache was found, it would not mark the end of the enterprise.  With planting and raising animals, long term survival is highly probable, provided the threats from outsiders can be avoided or at least defended against.  It will still take many people if only to share sentry duty, though sharing in all tasks will be required.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of Aaryq
    Aaryq
    Veteran
    member1

I just moved into a new place out here in Eastern Carolina and I’m interested in the same thing. I’ve already met one of my neighbors. He’s an elderly man but he seems to have his stuff together. He has a huge garden, almost 1900L of water in an established rain catchment system. Within the first 5 minutes of meeting him, I determined he is probably also preparing for something and I got a really good friendly “southern boy” feeling from him. He offered to take me fishing some weekend so once I get paid again, I’m going to get my fishing license and go with him. Would it make me seem like a loonie toon if I asked him directly, or should I start simple like offering to help him in his garden, ask him to show me how his rain catchment system works and advice on building my own?

Lover by day. Drunkard by night. Carolinian by choice. Marine by God.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I start by showing an interest in what he has done and indicate your desire to become more self sufficient on your property given the way the world is going.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Popz wrote:</div>I live in a rural county of North Carolina and considering starting a neighborhood Mutual Assistance Group. If there is anyone who has already undertaken this task, I would love to hear your suggestions on how I might succeed in making this successful.

I am looking at purchasing property in the Black Mountain region. I have a friend who will be retiring from the Air Force fairly soon and they’ve already purchased 5 acres in that area. I’m hoping that things hold together a little longer than some think it will so that my wife can retire from the Air Force and we can get there. If you are close to that area of North Carolina maybe we will get to know each other here on this forum and at least know there are a few like minded people close by and I work in the gun industry so I definitely have that area covered.

Popz
    Popz
    Survivalist
    member3

It is tough. My wife and I have been developing our own system for growing our own vegetables and it is not as easy as one would think. Some seeds don’t germinate. Some plants become overtaken by insects or disease. Some take up too much room. Preparing the soil properly before– not after, the plants have matured. Is your plot large enough to sustain 1, 2+ people? Once the plants start producing is the harvest sufficient? For how long? What about when the weather starts turning cold? Where’s the water coming from? The list goes on and on. Good luck to those who head for the hills without the knowledge necessary to survive.

Popz
    Popz
    Survivalist
    member3

Howdy. Are you in NE North Carolina?

Popz
    Popz
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi there. The Black Mountains are about 4 hours west of us. Wouldn’t mind getting to know you nonetheless. :)

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

be very careful of people you do not know, there is an old prepper maxim which I live by on a daily basis: “if you don’t know them, if you haven’t worked with them or spent time with them, then don’t trust them”, trust has to be earned, not given away freely.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.