Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

74, I have more choices then rural or urban. I’m also thinking of a bolt hole outside my country of origin. There is also the oceans of the world for sailors. There are also the far north… and south wilderness. I’ll be long gone…

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It all depends on the type of SHTF event. EMP yes the cities will be hell, Cyber were the electricity goes down well all the cars and & trucks still work so I see many going to the rural areas. Sun Flare well you have 24 to 48 hours before it hits so many will leave the cities too. Civil war or civil unrest many will leave the cities. The same goes for economical collapse many will leave the cities. So an EMP or something that will happen like the next hour is what will create hell in the cities.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C, I have a personal love of sailing but don’t consider sailboats as a truly viable shtf escape method. Sailboats are sitting ducks. Even moving at night is suspect in my mind. If there is no gas for power boats it would be one thing but otherwise you setting yourself up for trouble. I actually believe kayaks or other small shallow draft boats with a very low profile that are easily hidden in marshes etc. a safer alternative. In a shtf scenario the pirating business will boom, coastal watching for boats is easy. If the bad guys have power boats forget it unless you have a lot of long range fire power. You could try to run outside a long way out, but then when daylight comes you’re visible for a range of 10 miles or so, if you bump into a waiting vessel they will catch you in 10-20 minutes depending on their boat.

Not being seen is the only safety in a boat, once you are discovered you have no escape unless you make it to shore in a safe place where you can evade.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Did a run with my 12′ kayak and BOB. Weight made all the difference in handling. In SHTF scenario, I’m not sure how viable an option that it is. Going to have to experiment with load, etc. Agree with 74 that you would have to keep close to shore and rely on marshes to provide cover.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Roadracer,
    If I was picking a kayak for this purpose I would get a high load bearing boat that can hold about 600 lbs. Most recreational boats can handle far less. Although less comfortable to paddle for long periods the larger canoes and handle a lot of weight as well. Canoes can be covered to keep the spray and rain out of the boat. In shtf if I need a boat I’m taking what I find that is suitable, on or close to the water.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Also depends on the SHTF, if it is an EMP attack or Sun Flare then a sail boat maybe a good idea since all the engines on the other boats will not work.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think a lot of 2 stroke outboards still will work there is nothing to them.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It all depends on how strong the EMP is. Even the copper wire may burn up, batteries may burn up. It all depend how close the EMP is to were you are located at the time. If it can burn up all appliances then it will burn up the 2 stroke engines.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

74, everything depends on the given situation for what would work. When I suggested a sailboat, that mode of transport and housing would work in only some scenarios but not in other. Yes, if you are found out in the ocean you’re are a sitting duck. (This happens right now in some areas where heavily armed pirates in high speed boats take sailboats by force and throw the owners overboard.) But the deep ocean is a very big place and there’s lots of food and little competition for resources. (Please note: I have don’t have offshore sailing experience, though my husband does.)

As for small sailing craft, I have lots of experience. My favorite sailboat was a 16′ cuddy cabin sailboat, though I have had much bigger boats over the years. It had a centerboard which when pulled up drafted about four inches. The boat had a small outboard but it could be sculled, if needed. The boat could get into places no one could anchor and could be beached easily. This boat would be suitable for coastal use and could be easily hidden in estuaries or tiny bays that no one would even think of looking.

I love small human powered vessels such as kayaks and canoes which are suitable for coastal and interior rivers and lakes. They are easy to secure and hide. Kayaks are better for ocean and canoes are better for lakes and rivers. Kayaks can take a lighter load and are more difficult to load and unload. Depending on the canoe design, they can be load with 1000 pounds or more and are easy to load and unload. It’s important to get the right vessel for the right bug-out plan. If I was in the interior, I would use my canoe with skirt for travel. On the Pacific Ocean I would use a kayak.

These are just ideas. What would work, would be different for everyone because we all have different skills, interests and experience. Whatever happens in the future, will happen in the future. The best remedy for an uncertain future, is a fulfilling and happy present. Hopefully, we will be flexible enough in our thinking when the time comes, to be able to survive what the future holds for us.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Here’s a picture of our cargo canoe with spray skirt. Have fun today, even if the world is going to end! :)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

c… opsec my friend… there are more than a few people out there on the web specifically looking for information on preppers… there was a garbage man in the states who was a former soldier building profiles on people he collected trash from, and found empty ammo boxes etc…

*frown* i hope that is not your family in the picture…

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

KOS, how do you remove posts from this forum?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

C: Hit the edit button above your post, go back and erase anything you don’t want out there.
    Then resubmit.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

is there a mod that can help?

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

c I have a kayak that size. The cargo compartment in the middle holds a lot of stuff. lol

plus great for camping.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.