Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Very interesting, very gory. thanks for posting whirlibird.

Gotta wonder what it would take to have your own personal storage of blood if SHTF.
    My med kit currently has enough bandages to plug a serious wound, pull shrapnel out and stitch up once or twice, and hardcore dose of antibiotics. But internal injury is beyond me, scarey **** what a 7.62×39 or a .308 will do.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Whirlibird for the video.

Yea, it is much more graphic in reality.

In SHTF circumstances you can help only to the some extent, especially in real SHTF event when there is no advanced medical care available.
    I am not saying that you do not need to be prepared for advanced medical care (if you have people for that, money, skills, equipment) but part of preparing also is to be ready to watch how you loose people because you can not do anything at all.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I see the wisdom in moving up to the big-boy calibers :D

I have even been trimming and tweaking my thinking on this, less 9mm and more 40 and 45.

Hey WHIRLI, remember our talk about 1911’s?
    I’m looking at a Remington R1, right now Remy is also offering a $75 rebate (till end of 2014) or a Storm Lake Barrel.
    I was thinking about the barrel, it is 3x the rebate in retail value, or $225. Your Thoughts APPRECIATED!

PS: Good Vid!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This makes me think more about body armor of any kind. Offensively any major pistol caliber has parody in my mind.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The R1 is not a bad gun, the sights on the two I’ve seen recently left much to be desired but that ‘s easily fixed.

The factory barrels aren’t bad, certainly minute of bad guy.
    I’d put the rebate into good magazines.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Tired argument , they are all better than a fist . Get shot with any of them , your going to have a bad day , wouldnt want to get shot with a .22 short , or even a pellet gun either . Just Sayin .
    Thing is , even a 50 cal . will do you no good if you cant hit what your shooting at . Thats why its a good idea to take firearm training classes if you can find the time .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

What argument?
    This is an informational video about what happens to the body when different ‘tools’ are used.
    You make your own decisions.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

THis is true , my point is just make sure we have something , and can hit what we aim at with it . I love bows , but I cant hit the broad side of a barn with one at 20 feet lol .

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Ive thought about buying a bigger caliber, but canada is getting twitchy about rifles and the idea of weapons banning/ confiscation.

During the boston thing, some poor family had the misfortune of discovering that if the wife types Backpack into google in the morning before work, and the husband types in “”””crock pot”””” in the afternoon after work, that you will get a knock on the door from MR. See and MR. Sis.

Call me paranoid, and I will call it prudent.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Having armor is a very good idea. In a SHTF there maybe no doctors or hospitals so getting shot with a .22 LR or .45 is all bad news. The armor and the sandbags look better everyday.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I hear ya , building codes good for fire department ……….bad for security . make entry into your home controlled by blocking out windows , etc .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, Here is Florida many of the homes have impact windows which a 2 x 4 going at 150 miles an hour goes into the window but stops there ant the rest of the window doesn’t break down. I have impact windows and am planing the steel hurricane shutters too. between the two it will be hard to get in though the windows. Doors is another problem!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah , but it cuts down on the areas you have to guard tho .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Having armor is a very good idea. In a SHTF there maybe no doctors or hospitals so getting shot with a .22 LR or .45 is all bad news. The armor and the sandbags look better everyday.

One thing one has to remember, in most civilian gunfights, the arms and hands get hit more than one would expect.

Part of this comes from the tendency to focus on the threat, the knife or gun in the bad guys hands. Gun gets pointed where you are looking. Bang.

Secondly, your arms are often out in front of you to defend yourself, to carry things, etc, they are in the line of fire. Heck, watch shooting videos where people try to magically stop the bullet or bad guy by throwing their hands in the way.

Armor does nothing for this.

Chicken plates.
    Everybodys favorite thing.
    The problem with plates is simple.
    Anyone with any training can recognize a plate carrier and knows that if shooting once or twice has no effect, aim high for the head or low for the crotch. Either way, you are suddenly having a much worse day.
    Problem 2, most people are getting plain steel plates. Sure they may be contoured for better fit or comfort but that makes them even more injurious. Look at them carefully, the bullet that just splattered on your chest plate has to go somewhere, and without some form of absorbing layer, those bits end up in your arms and throat.

Gents, we won’t even consider where they go if you’re sitting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.