Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I don’t have the military training that others here have but for the kinds of reasons that Malgus gives I have always thought isolated homesteads are not the answer. You have to go outside sooner or later and a patient attacker can just be there waiting for you. Where I used to live was attacked multiple times during colonial days and it was always the isolated farms that were hit first. It got to the point during one period during the French & Indian Wars that people who lived outside of the palisade would come inside for the night, bunking in with family and friends. There is safety in numbers. It will take villages and small towns working together to fend off those who would take what they have.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interesting story Malgus thanks for sharing. Welcome back.

Profile photo of hillbilly chic
    hillbilly chic
    Survivalist
    member2

hey mountain biker i appreciate the feedback this place is actually my husbands dream i guess like any country boys at heart we wernt thinking along the lines of shtf happening when we bought it its his dream he can pee off the front porch if he is so inclined lol shoot a dear off the front porch whatever [[btw i dont know what strong up top means so just sayin] and i dont have the heart to destroy his dreams we been together 23 years so theres history ide hate to have to let him handle it but our daughters still home so ,sorry kids come first,thats the do you have the heart question i really got to face he says he will leave but im not sure i believe it and we aint dying for no piece of land or any other thing hope no i know im thinking right on this but boy its a hard one

Profile photo of hillbilly chic
    hillbilly chic
    Survivalist
    member2

hey malgus thanks for your post man i thought i got my reply posted back to you but as anyone on here can verify im technologlially challenged lol retarded, went up to the college 14 years ago trien to fix it but no help you gotta know your limitations i always say so theres my sign ha!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Your husband’s dream. That’s funny. Its what my wife calls our place. I suppose I could pee off the front porch too but I’m not sure if it would increase or decrease my popularity with the neighbors.

Profile photo of Aukxsona
    Aukxsona
    Survivalist
    member2

Could I do it, yes.

Do I want to ..no.

The nightmares are enough to make a person pause, the lifetime of wondering what if, the haunting reminder of the last seconds of that persons life, the look in their eyes, the terror felt at the moment the weapon’s trigger is pulled, the smell of gunpowder, the splash of red that barely registers as you prepare to die even as you are killing the one trying to kill you. All of that is enough to give me pause. Also, my personal issue would be for every life taken, I owe one saved to keep a karmic balance. The idea of a karmic check book keeps me human.

I could if I had to, but then I would have to find a way to save a life later on…and not just the lives saved by taking one. That is still a net balance loss in nature.

When was the last time you went without electricity, running water, food, and had babies screaming for food...now you know why I prep. These are the things a mother's nightmares are made of.

Profile photo of dogcop
    dogcop
    Survivalist
    member1

Hubby and i have discussed this at length, He has shot someone in the line of duty (USAF cop). I was always afraid of guns. Fast forward to today…I gave up part of my horse pasture for his shooting range, and now am very comfortable handling all of his firearms (well, ok most). Do not believe for one second I would hesitate to defend myself from any lowlife trying to separate my soul from my body. Yet much like a previous poster do not care to slaughter my pet chickens, am progressing here too though, actually sent 5 off last month for processing and now have them in the freezer, am returning the favor by helping my friend slaughter 30 of hers in 2 months..i am getting there!

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

there was a farmer called Tony Martin an old guy who lived on a run down, isolated farm who shot and killed a burglar and injured another, he spent many years in jail until he was released on parole, so no i don’t think under normal circumstances I would even contemplate killing someone, but in WROL after a life changing event, when it was either him or me? yep, i wouldn’t have much choice would I??

British Survivalist.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

DogCop – A quick way of getting that many birds is to turn off the lights. They will gather into a corner. Wait a few minutes and turn the lights back on. Go to the corner and pickup the dead ones! Beats chasing them.
    Robin

Profile photo of carpedebass
    carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

Coming from a correctional and security background, yes, I have had to defend my life as well as the lives of others to the death. Sometimes in hand to hand situations where force multipliers were not available. In a real life and death situation, things happen very, very quickly. There is no time to decide whether you will or will not use deadly force. You either do or you die. Plain and simple. The reaction has to be instantaneous. If you pause long enough to begin pondering the situation, it’s too late for you. The lingering affects also do not simply go away over time nor can you simply compartmentalize them and go on like nothing ever happened. You will never be the same…ever. I have seen and done things that still give me nightmares after 20 years. It’s not as simple as “just moving on.” I dare say those here who say they have are either lying to themselves or to us. Either way, they’re not being truthful.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

carpedebass, this is one of the problems when the SHTF time many will die because they waited one minute to decide to shoot or not to shoot when danger is coming right at them.

On your “The reaction has to be instantaneous.” this is not easy to learn. It is like trying to teach a poor person how to do business. You have it since you have been dealing with it everyday. Experience to use force in a real life and death situation is not easy to teach someone else. I know for a fact that you didn’t learn it the first day or month that you started working as a correction career.

I believe many preppers will have a hard time with this. The preppers that have a background as you do will not.

carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

Freedom, I think you are correct. I hope I didn’t come across as saying that it was anything but training. A good deal of that training, I think, is mental. I have seen officers that were brand new…day one on the job…that had to prove this out. In correctional settings, that’s the most likely time to have to prove it out as you have not had time to build up a reputation and MUST be tested, but that’s a completely different topic.

The officers who have been tested from day one and prevailed usually come from a similar background so they already have the “inner game of violence” worked out. I think folks should be training mentally as well as physically and spiritually for things like this.

I agree that many will have a hard time with this. That’s one of the reasons I’m here. I want to pass along what I have learned. But I’m also not finished learning. I want to learn from others as well because I know enough to know that I don’t know it all.

One way to begin to work all this out is by simply watching videos of violent encounters. Watch them, place yourself in those situations mentally and work your way through it. Figure out what the victims could have done differently to avoid the situation or counter the attack. I’m all about mental training because it goes hand in hand with physical training and spiritual training, but it’s the one thing that most people do not train or prepare for.

Some of these videos will be quite a shock to persons who are not accustomed to violence. You’ll likely get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. That’s OK. Watch them anyway. That sick feeling means that you are human. Then continue to think about them and work them through in different ways. Question what the outcome would be if they had stepped to the side (off the X) first, or dropped their groceries and blocked the knife with that arm, while reaching for their force multiplier with the other, etc. Hope that makes sense.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Carpedebass, Your advice is good however, many people will not be able to make the visualizations even in a mental practice. Watching videos of real violence is probably more than some people can handle. Of course these are the same people that will hesitate in a real encounter where the assailants will not. Ambushes are the problem I am concerned about. It doesn’t matter if you are mentally prepared.

carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

I can see your point, 74. Ambushes are a special type of problem. I guess that’s why they’re so effective. There are ways of training startle/response. I am looking into that now. Just not sure if it’s really possible to train that because you are mentally prepared for it. Even in oppositional force training, your mind is prepared for something to happen. Definitely an issue. Ideas to deal with that?

I sincerely hope I do not come across as a “know it all” or an “expert.” To me those type of people gave up on improving themselves the day they decided that nobody knew more than they do. I define an “expert” by breaking down the term into two syllables. EX-SPURT- a has been drip. =-)

I just hope to learn by putting things out there, creating discussions and, hopefully we can add something to the mix that may just save someone’s life some day. Heck! Maybe my own.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I know that many here have not been in a violence encounter, I have not been in one. I carry a gun everyday for the last 6 years. In the city you do find your self in areas were you may need to pull in out.

I will tell you a story about two of the only times I had to pull my gun out. One was a night I went to see the tax accountant in his office that was located one block from the city holding jail. There way a lot of trees next to his office and I an on the phone calling my wife to tell her that the accountant was not in the office and to please call him. Well when I look up I see a 6’4″ or taller black man come out of the trees and him is coming at me fast. I pulled out my gun and aimed it at him. He didn’t even give me time to say anything before he just turned around and when back into the trees. It all happen so fast. This is the way it always happens fast and unexpected.

The second time I had to pull my gun was a night that my wife and I went to the groceries coming home the house we lived in had a circular driveway so when I drove in on the other side a car with two men drove in right up to the front of my car. I told my wife to get down then I opened the door with my gun out and pointed the gun right at them and told them what do they want and to please put there hands were I can see them. I told them to not make a fast move because I will shoot. They told me they were looking for an address and gave me an address that was a block away so I told them they were not on the right street. At the time I didn’t own a cell phone so we went in the house and called the police. We gave the police the address they had given us. The police told us that there was no house with that address. The police went all over the area looking for them and never found them.

So you can see the two were fast and in minutes if you are not ready to take action you may end up dead.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.