Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“So let’s look at that infrastructure.
    There are, in fact, a total of four medical isolation units in the entire United States, as we noted yesterday, that are capable of handling infected Ebola patients near endlessly.
    Where are they, and what can they handle?
    Emory University’s Serious Communicable Disease Unit is in Atlanta, GA. That’s where Brantly and Writebol were treated. It has three beds.
    St. Patrick Hospital’s ICU Isolation Unit is in Missoula MT. It has three beds.
    The National Institute of Health’s Special Clinical Studies Unit is in Bethesda MD. It has sevenbeds.
    And the biggest, the Nebraska Medical Center’s Biocontainment Unit beds.

3+3+7+10=23 beds, coast to coast.

So, for the entire country, all 316,100,000+ of us, we’re fully prepared to treat 23 Ebola patients at the same time. (For reference, that’s how many Ebola patients Liberia had last April. It hasn’t gone well.) 

But the 316M-person question is, what happens when we have 24?

More happygas, anyone?”

http://shepherdofthegurneys.blogspot.com/2014/10/do-math.html

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I suspect that the health care system in the US will start to become overwhelmed when the ebola count nationwide is still a 3 digit #. When the count is still a 4 digit # we will see tents in hospital parking lots for ebola patients so as to keep them out of the hospitals altogether, and similar setups in empty warehouses and such. Not much more than comfort care would be provided.

About 8 years ago when pandemic flu planning was in vogue, I was part of my small town’s emergency response group. I was still in MA at the time. I lived in the most rural county in the State and we had a single hospital. The State’s plan for a flu pandemic was that when the hospital was at capacity that they would use the high school in my town as a satellite hospital. I asked if they had beds and the myriad of other supplies set aside that would be needed to make that happen. They didn’t. The plan would be they’d buy it when they needed it and/or get what they needed from the National Strategic Stockpile. They had no response to the follow-up that that National Strategic Stockpile only has supplies enough for regional events, not a nationwide pandemic. Even worse, the medical personnel that were assumed to be doing all of this work were being counted 2 and 3 times by different groups that just assumed they’d have 1st dibs on them. It seemed that the primary thrust of the State’s plan was COG (Continuity of Govt). If for some reason Boston needed to be evacuated, the State plan was to send 50,000 people to my little town of 5,000. No supplies or anything else being sent with them. The lack of realism in their planning was beyond astounding. The citiots (if I can borrow Inshala’s phrase) think that abundance somehow awaits in rural areas. Coming back to ebola, we can assume that the same people who did pandemic flu planning are the same people doing ebola pandemic planning. Except ebola is even more deadly.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

System is not ready, actually it can not be ready for serious event, not even richest countries systems, it is simply like that.
    It is what prepping is about, to realize that system is not ready for serious events, not to mention that some systems are causing serious events.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here is more from: Shepherd Of The Gurneys Blog
    Life in the ER, from a nurse working as a lifeguard in the shallow end of the gene pool.

“So, you can either have an Ebola hospital, or a regular one. Personally I work at a hospital with +/- 10 negative airflow rooms, in the entire building. So that’s how many Ebola patients we could care for, max. But 6 of those rooms are in the ER. Let me be more specific: 6 of those rooms are in the ER that sees 300-500 patients a day 24/7/365, 110,000+ patients a year, and of whom 99-and-change% of them go home alive. So we can care for them, or we can take in 6 Ebola patients, of whom 0-3 will likely survive. While all those other patients go somewhere else. Or nowhere else.

“once you start traipsing highly infectious patients, frequently vomiting and squirting Ebola-laced body fluids everywhere, the hospital is unavailable for any other use.”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This quote from his blog sums up the problem pretty well. Murphy’s law is always ready to strike.

“Just look at how well that worked at Texas Health Presbyterian, a top-tier 968-bed acute primary hospital in Dallas, and a regional healthcare keystone in that city.
    They misdiagnosed their first patient.
    Their computerized EMR doesn’t dump the nurse’s triage notes onto the doctor’s page, so critical screening information was missed.
    They exposed their hospital lab to specimens that weren’t safe to handle, because they didn’t know Thomas Duncan needed a BL4 response and specimen handling.
    They exposed doctors, nurses, staff members, patients, and visitors to Ebola unknowningly.
    They sent him back into the community to expose family, friends, EMS workers, and random strangers as well.
    Which led to inappropriate hazmat cleaning at his home;
    the potential exposure of four public schools to the disease, which has necessitated closing them for cleaning while parents keep their children home, some withdrawing them completely;
    and on and on, with 18/100/50 (depending on which number is currently operant) people under self-imposed quarantine and monitoring.”

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

If we see Ebola in the U.S grow to 100 cases it is over, it will grow so fast. There is only one think to do and that is to stay home, be prepared to do that. Now is the time to buy and store the food you will need for two to four month.

You will not want to get it once that many people have it. The hospitals will not have the meds to help you.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Great point freedom. As I stated in another post, no one believes what the government is saying. People are already saying they are going to drive rather than fly. As people hunker down, imagine the hit on the economy. No going to movies, out to eat, etc.

Keeping your family home is going to be a decision many are going to have to make, and if you have the supplies on hand, it is going to be that much easier to make the decision.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

You guys are dead on….. The simple math quickly adds up to a fecal-typhoon and you don’t have to work at the Jiffy Lube to figure that out. The problem is that the average Joe/Jane on the street actually believes that CNN is honest, Fox News is the devil, taxes are good, Global Warming is a real phenomenon and organic foods bought at the grocery store weren’t grown in human waste.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, Great post all facts. The street is full of people that do not know who is the Vice-President so how in the world would they know anything else.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

If Ovomit had instituted an immediate ban on all flights to and from west Africa, including connections, we would not be in this mess now. That causes me to conclude that he WANTS a pandemic to happen here. Is there another rational conclusion possible?

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Destroy Economy almost beyond repair? Check
    Flood country with criminals to disallow young adults and teenagers from getting jobs and thus drive down median household income, American work ethic, and ability for US citizens to afford college? Check
    Make the USA appear subordinate to a multitude of different cultures and countries using their customs of servitude? Check
    Set policy and law based upon bankrupting the entire medical industry? Check
    Weaken our military to the point of almost no recovery? Check
    Use government assets to persecute those that oppose his agenda? Check

….. No…. I don’t have any idea as to what you might be saying. That can’t be. I didn’t see anything like that on MSNBC. They say that the CDC has everything under control.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Mountain Biker, I am HONORED that you used that phrase! As a matter of fact I encourage its use and hope that you are all as fond of using it as we are in Occupied New York. Anyways…

I think that Mountain Biker is dead on and actually beat me to the response. There are protocol in effect for most populated areas in the U.S. It is your responsibility to investigate what that protocol is and determine if it is acceptable or unrealistic. The protocol in my area is somewhat identical to what Mountain Biker described…unrealistic. You will see temporary medical facilities set up in large capacity government buildings and private stadiums and civic centers.

Also, I know I keep harping on it, but what was the reaction to the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918? Have we learned from it or are we doomed to repeat it? I imagine it will look like the file photo posted below: Historical photo of the 1918 Spanish influenza ward at Camp Funston, Kansas, showing the many patients ill with the flu.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Inshala, that whole pandemic flu planning episode was one of the factors that drove me to relocate to VT. I wanted out of MA and more distance between myself and the BoWash hordes. In doing that relocation I selected my property with the SHTF in mind. One of these days I’ll do a thread describing my criteria.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I posted my county plan a while back. The premise of the plan is to keep people going to work so infrastructure doesn’t fail. The planers know they will have no outside help. Expect civil disturbances and no food supplies. They don’t have many answers to problems, but expect to commandeer food and supplies from business and agricultural sources. My expectation is police will be used for target practice, the hospitals get overwhelmed and there will be no food for 413,521 people + or – a few preppers.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, odds are they haven’t tended the details for that plan in terms of actually compiling a list of resources and doing the math as to how much it takes to feed a huge population like that, let alone the logistics of taking it and distributing it. I don’t think any high population area has. The devil is always in the details and extremely few govt. entities have dug into the details.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.