Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ok I made these with two types of oils. I am a firm believer in being thrifty
    Whats needed:
    Pint size mason jars
    zinc core wicking, because they can be shaped
    the oil of your choice, my case I used citronella oil, and for the sake of preppers every where I moved on to something more attainable deep fryer fat.
    Here is the items:
    items
    *************************************************************************************************************************
    Yup I keep wicking by the spool, this can be bought at Micheals.
    wicking
    ************************************************************************************************************************
    Cheap citronella oil

cit oil
    ***********************************************************************************************************************
    Fryer fat, grease, oil what ever you wish to call it. Most dump it I save it once in a while for this.
    fryer fat
    ***********************************************************************************************************************
    Lets sit down and get creative. Shape your wick so it will sit in the bottom of your mason jar and stand up.
    (Hint dont do this with a bunch of know it all kids around. They will make you feel inferior. hehe)
    wacky wick making
    Bad pic of how it stands.
    standing wick
    A sample of what both look like lit.
    lit lamps
    **********************************************************************************************************************
    Now to put them out we use the lids themselves then pop the cap ring on after. We also test each one first before storing them away so we now they do work.

I know they aren’t the brightest, but in a shtf area, think back. (Pioneers) Only candles and lamps were used!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Husky, nice job!

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Husky, how much wick do you leave at the top of the oil to light? When the oil tips a bit, or when it sits, does the wick just absorb enough of the oil to burn but not too much? I really want to have this skill down, and I know this sounds so very dumb to ask, but I want to get it right. Does the candle do a lot of smoking when it is burned? I like that it is contained in a glass jar for safety. It would have to sit well out of reach of children, but then, don’t all candles? It is just – if it tips over for some unknown reason…the oil won’t burn on it’s own, will it? It doesn’t when it is in the jar, so I can’t see how it would if it got spilled.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Hey Libby, Smoking is very low as long as the wick is low, much like the big store lamps you turn up and down.
    The citronella oil lamp smoked a bit much then I liked, so I popped on the metal disk put out the flame then halled it up by my finger and trimmed it just enough. On a ruler with cm on it the cit oil was above by a half cm, the grease was just under a cm high. Hope this helps.

As far as tipping I honestly think because the size of the wick there is a good chance it would likely go out while falling over. As the oil would cover the wick completely putting out the flame.

with testing them we also found the for as little flame coming off the grease lamp, quite a bit of heat was there as well, would for sure keep cold hands warm.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Gypsy,
    I have made these before! They worked wonderfully and were amazing in the summer for keeping mosquitoes away.
    Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Hannah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.