Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Currently, I’m limited to what I can get on my phone, but I put the search term: “self pressurizing lantern alcohol” into (dare I name it?) the commonly popular search engine, anc came up with several interesting videos and links. Try it in your favorite search engine.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Don’t even worry about naming that other POS-track-everything search engine – “Just say NO!” LOL. If your phone browser will open http://www.startpage.com, use that as your search engine. They actually use the Gargle search engine for their results, but anonymize peoples’ searches entirely (i.e. the user is not trackable). I’ve got Startpage as my browser home page, and haven’t use the G-word search engine in probably a year or more. I also opened a StartMail email account (unlike the free Startpage search engine, the email is subscription based. but it also allows encrypted email if/when needed or desired). The Startpage search engine looks and acts almost identical to Gargle but also has a “proxy” feature on the 2nd line of each search engine return, allowing you to not only do the search anonymously, but also view the actual page anonymously. Some highly secure pages or ones that do a lot of tracking of visitors, won’t work or won’t let you see the entire page/site. But most sites are quite readable when using the “proxy” feature. That way we can go see what revcom.us is up to without anyone knowing about it on either side of the political spectrum, including Uncle, for example (hee hee).

I looked at some of the links. I was really impressed with the little 100cc lamp made from soft drink cans – pretty impressive work! And almost no cost involved if one has the tools and skills to put two cans together like that, plus the other parts. The creator has some nice skills.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

My “takeaway” from these various videos is that, yes, alcohol does burn hot enough to make a mantle give off very useable light, especially ethanol, which is what I would be producing, if at all. But I n order to have a stable and controllable flame, the fuel needs to be pressurized, whether by pump, or by self-pressurizing, using the wick-in-heated-delivery-tube method. And in any lantern larger than that soda-can camping lamp (slick!) there should be a needle valve to control consumption/ illumination.

The technique for joining two soda can bottoms for a small cooking stove is not too hard, but requires some care not to introduce dents while cutting/ cleaning the parts. Both upper and lower pieces must be the same diameter. To widen the lower part to fit the upper, use a third can, filled with hardened plaster of Paris, or concrete, lubricated lightly with vaseline or cooking oil. Press the filled can evenly into the lower piece. The trapped air pressure should make separation easy. Clean (degrease), then fit the prepared upper, lightly coated with JB weld, into the lower piece. Many variations on this theme have been made/touted/displayed in “lightweight camping” forums, e.g., the “penny stove,” but for all the skill/ care lavished on them, and the justifiable pride their makers take, the simplest, easiest lightweight alcohol stove is one made from a small aluminum cat food can, by punching a row of holes around the top (paper punch) just under the rim. Pour in 0.5 – 1 ounce, light it. Reguires a little shielding from wind for best efficiency, easily provided with a vetilated pot stand made of a slightly larger, taller can, e.g., a beef stew can. Pardon my excess; I’ve been a craftsy meshuga since kindergarten.

Cry, "Treason!"

L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Interesting site for alcohol lighting:

http://www.nariphaltan.org/lanstove.pdf

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

GS….

I have tested alcohol fuel out in a Coleman lantern and if it is mixed with some sort of petroleum type fuel there are no problems. I also have several alcohol stoves that I run for camping. The next phase of my testing is to mess around with it in the multiburner Coleman camp stoves. I am just a bit sketched out until I see it working at someone else’s expense first. My multifuel Coleman camp stove works well with it, though.

The other part of my “messing around” with distillation is the essential oils aspect. Today I got my glass separator thing in the mail. I hope to get some time to the play with extracting essential oils after the holidays.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

The other part of my “messing around” with distillation is the essential oils aspect.

Now that’s interesting. I have to admit, I’ve never really studied much about essential oils, having been long ago sold on homeopathy. But that’d be pretty hard to get the items I’d need and then actually make a remedy from scratch in a true SHTF situation. One of our kids has really specialized in essential oils, and has apparently had great success with them. That’s where I first learned about thieves oil, and made some with a formula she provided. The stuff really did work. But I didn’t realize it was relatively easy to create essential oils at home using alcohol. You spurred me to do a little reading, and I ran across a full article on making lavender essential oil with everclear or vodka. Interesting! Thanks.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

There is a mod or two for the MSR Whisperlight to burn alcohol. It already burns kero white gas diesel ugh. This is one of those situations where they say it wont but it will. The one I have the international is an older design. It was universal. It has a pressurized bottle and needle valve. You have to preheat fuel like kero. Its fun to light but not on rain days or extremely cold mornings.

For just a plain alcohol stove we use the Origo, one and two burners. They also make a small heater. These burn hotter than a swedish stove because theyre bigger. More burning surface. Better stability for pans.

Colman fuel stoves burning Alcohol, good luck. For camping wind and alcohol dont mix. We used to burn kero in a kerosun heater. It had a huge wick. If you can control the heat output it could burn alcohol. Enough heat to put a 3 gal kettle on hanging from a tripod. The top of the stove has to be removed. Probably not recommended either.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Just finished a run of “sugar shine” last night and mixed it with some kerosene. It is crazy at how hot this burns in rocket stoves, for instance. I also have made a few alcohol stoves and this fuel burns almost too hot for the soda cans.

I have been looking for a good place to locally source my plant materials needed to do my essential oil stuff. We use various salves and topicals made with various oils for such things as cuts/scraps/burns/rashes/etc. We also make our own lip balms for instance. Considering that I am about out of my Carmex type stuff that my wife makes, I am really looking forward to pulling the needed ingredients.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.