Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10583
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

    A neighbor down the road was gone for 6 months, came home and started getting ‘sick’ and suspected it was his well. All’s well now. So, I looked up info so I would know how to do this (I have a well) – this from Backwoods Home. Thought others might like to know – if you don’t already

    To disinfect your well, follow these steps:

    1. If the water is muddy or cloudy, use a hose to run the water from an outside spigot until the water becomes clear and free of sediment.
    2. Determine the type of well you have and how to pour the bleach into the well. Some wells have a sanitary seal with either an air vent or a plug that can be removed. If it’s a bored or dug well, the entire cover can be lifted off to provide a space for pouring the bleach into the well.
    3. Mix 1 gallon of bleach with a few gallons of water. Carefully pour the bleach mixture into the well casing, using a funnel if needed.
    4. After the bleach has been added, run water from an outside hose into the well casing until you smell chlorine coming from the hose, then turn off the outside hose. If chlorine odor never develops at the faucet, you might need to add more bleach to the well.
    5. Turn on all cold-water faucets inside and outside of the house, until the chlorine odor is detected in each faucet, then shut off all of them. If you have a water-treatment system, switch it to bypass before turning on the indoor faucets.
    6. Wait six to 24 hours before turning the faucets back on. Caution: Do not use this water for drinking, cooking, bathing or washing during this time period—it contains high amounts of chlorine.
    7. Once the waiting period is up, turn on an outside spigot with hose attached and run the water into a safe area where it will not disturb plants, lakes, streams or septic tanks. Run the water until there is no longer a chlorine odor. Turn the water off.

    The system now should be disinfected, and you can use the water; however, the water should not be used for drinking until a bacteria test indicates that the disinfection procedure was effective. Have the water tested for bacteria seven to 10 days after disinfection.’

     

    #10586
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

    I didn’t know this. Thank you for this information tweva!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.