Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

This is a kit I think is important to have.

I have read discussions on camouflage in general, your ‘house’/location, how to hide like a sniper; and , camouflage yourself and your equipment at night such as this article BUT, I mean a kit to specifically to camouflage yourself, not just at night but disguise yourself period – even during the day – in plain view.

Why? Because, being a woman that has experienced a break-in and attempted rape; and rape…it’s really something I think about when SHTF. There are many things I learned and have done to do what I can to try and ensure this does not happen to me again; but, I fully intend to disguise myself when the time I feel is right, when I need to so I, as a woman, have the best chance of again experiencing that fate. I long ago entirely changed how I dress, the colors I wear and am careful how I act in public and where I will go in public as a result of my experiences. Thus I have a disguise kit and have practiced, and still do disguising myself as a man and not just with makeup and clothes! Good disguise is, I have found, depends as much on knowledge of psychology as it does on ability to act like another, as well as know how to apply required changes enhanced by the least amount of ‘makeup’.

Even if you aren’t a woman, do you have the basic army camo sticks in that article? I have a small kit with a few cheap makeup items I have learned do the best job, with clothing changes and lots of practice on how I carry myself, walk and speak that I believe would do a fairly good job of it. But I won’t stop practicing because I wouldn’t wish my experiences repeated for anyone.

From an article on groundreport.com by R. Tilford: “You also have to play the role so to speak. What I mean by that is if your disguising someone who is young as an old man, for example, that person has to walk and move and act convincingly like an old man, in order to make it work. It’s much more involved than simply donning a hat, wig, fake mustache and dark sunglasses. To a certain extent you have to be a good actor and assume the role of your disguise. ” he explained.

“What you’re trying to do basically is take advantage of the population at large, particularly those who are not interesting, and pick one that you could blend into”, he added.

Here’s a youtube vid you might find interesting:

This isn’t just for women but for men that have females in their lives to discuss and consider. It’s one of the few subjects I think I can offer a more than usual useful perspective on.

For the makeup itself and camo sticks for night use in the kit drug store make up works or from theatrical supply. houses. But first you have to choose the persona you will ‘create’. It’s a deeper subject than you might initially think.

You may think me crazy but I will do whatever may help. Hope this is of some use getting both women and husbands/fathers thinking of this.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Sorry night camo link

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Can you tell is late? Mean ‘to NOT experience that fate’ and no have not been practicing in public. Good night

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Darn – such along day – video

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Great read Tweva. I will look into these more so as there is four/five females in my group.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of skidmark
    skidmark
    Survivalist
    member2

The model forgot to make up her hands. “Always watch their hands!” is not just for movies. The hands did not fit with the rest of the look, and even clear nail polish on a guy looks strange. Also, the cap & gloves were too clean.

Not to belittle the idea, but a little water, some dirt, and some grease can do a lot without needing a full make-up kit. It dioes not need to be perfect, just “good enough”.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hey Skidmark – no problems with the hands. They aren’t ‘pretty’ – if the arthritis hasn’t done it’s job, working a small farm with animals with the thin skin that comes with age surely has. Ha! What’s nail polish again? All John Deere and Duck Commander, Ford hats are legitimately well worn and filthy. Gloves ditto. This is a good lesson you point out for others to heed.

The makeup ‘kit’ is more for the difference in, that although I do have ‘some’ facial’ hair mud won’t go far in helping me disguise that convincingly in a daylight situation – Make me look like one of the great unwashed for sure, but I am counting on my location to provide a bit of a buffer from that so it’s the from a distance the impression is not of a female: and, on closer inspection it’s as convincing as possible. And, yeah ok, it’s a girl thing but I just would rather not try to work with mud and grease on my face to achieve the effect – do enough of that already.

Your a wise, thoughtful guy. Thanks!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Disguising as a man is something I’ll admit I hadn’t thought of as a tactical defense, but now I can see it’s a very good idea. It’s unhappily true that women are especially vulnerable without the rule of law, and such a defense is worth perfecting.

The painting on of the beard was the most effective to the camera, but does it work well enough in real life?

I suspect that thinking like a man is a large part of the act, as subtle body language would be very important in being convincing. I don’t know if there are ways of disguising the voice, otherwise one would have to remain silent and hope that there isn’t a need to speak. Subtle shoulder pads can help with the appearance, as men tend to be wider at the top than the hips (unless he’s overweight), whereas women often have narrower shoulders. Loose clothing is obviously a must to hide breasts, hips and thighs, as these often define the shape of a woman. Manishly short fingernails and makeup to resemble hair on the back of the hands may play a role in some situations. A slight bulge in the trousers is vital. That’s all I can think of right now; doubtless more tips can be thought of, and I see in your original post you have already covered many of these points.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi Elijah B –
    ‘The painting on of the beard was the most effective to the camera, but does it work well enough in real life?’ –

Yes with practice, up to about 2 feet or so it does work with the right professional makeup (not mud). That is about $6, a very short stubby brush over a light coating of a very watery stage glue mixed with sugar. Breasts are usually bound is the suggestion – for some women this would be difficult and big loose shirts would be of more use. But there is such a thing as ‘man-boobs’ -…as they are called.

The talking issue if not practiced yes, my normal voice would give me away. Then too, you can always stuff a wad of gum or chewing tobacco or even grass in your mouth, mumble, spit and nod your head.

I have been told I am attractive (never saw that/thought that way myself) –but that is not an asset in the times to come. And, I won’t be either! I am fortunate to have worked hard all my life and be of a medium height and slende-rish build. I have broad-ish shoulders anyway as I swam competitively for years in my youth.

I suspect that thinking like a man is a large part of the act, as subtle body language would be very important in being convincing. BINGO! This is probably the most important part! I have found that you have to think like you are selecting a part in a play. ‘What kind of man given my build/features as I am now would fit preconceived ideas/and be believable as a man’. It all has to come together that any small anomolies the perceivers mind does not register.

There was a famous stagecoach driver for Wells Fargo, and women that fought in the Civil War and were in the resistance in the WW’s that did this, were very good/believable and many were not ‘outed’ until they died. That gives me enough hope this would be worth my while given my issues to pursue this. I have always worked around lots of men and do now – watch out all -some woman may be studying you for reasons you’d never suspect! Laughter.

I actually have experimented with this: taking a Carhart jacket and sticking cow crap in a small bag and putting it in a bag with the jacket. After a day – voila. Stink like a good ole cattle farmer. Believe me that will keep most people at a healthy distance alone.

If there are females in your group please do give it some more thought.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tweva,
    Excellent post!
    Something most preppers don’t ever consider.
    Thank you for sharing!
    All of you guys covered so much that I don’t even have anything to add! Lol.
    Hannah

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Not a bad idea , and its surprising how little of it takes to change your appearance completely . Hey !!! there is a product called caboki , its for covering up mens bald spots , apparently is both a dye and a fiber squeeze bottle , you could use it for other things , like duck into a bathroom and get an instant beard !

http://www.caboki.com/videos.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.