Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Although these maladies aren’t typically seen in modern western societies, I have a feeling we will be seeing them again no matter what the impetus for SHTF. The fixes for them are easy with a little prep and knowlege. This is a really easy read with all the pertinent info. Eat your veggies people.

http://www.thirdplanetfood.com/malnutrition.htm

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Broadside – good article. I gleaned that a well rounded source of fruits & veggies, poultry, eggs, dairy and meats will pretty much prevent these. Thus my own gardening now and livestock when I’ve got a couple acres will follow this. Thanks for posting. K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Good to post this. I’m sure these diseases will make a comeback if things go down.

Some of the gold rush prospectors in the Yukon and Alaska suffered from scurvy–and probably other deficiency diseases. Jack London was one of them.

My own Dad grew up poor and had rickets. Not too severe, but diagnosed by a doctor later in life. All this brouhaha about egg yolks has deprived many people nowadays of a great source of vitamin D. God made the whole egg a complete entity for a reason…the chick’s health being one of them.

I’ve seen poor slum kids in India with Kwarshiorkor–bleached reddish hair, skin outbreaks, vacant looks on their faces…sad… This is why I’m putting back some multivitamins/minerals as emergency tide-overs if certain foods are in short supply for a while.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Vitamin D is pretty prevalent these days in US. Had my own brush with this. Boy, it sure does make a huge difference in energy level etc. I was surprised at how low to non-existent my levels were a few years ago for all the time I spend outside in the sun! Ha. Took a while to build my levels back up and now take it everyday.

Important to know about vitamins and minerals.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good info.
    Only after the SHTF was over, and after I could eat more or less food that I wanted I could realize how bad I looked, and how my body was destroyed with months of very bad food, and not enough food, together with bad hygiene stress and everything else.

It is hard to understand that today, when everything is fine and when you take all that for granted.

Keep in mind that if you do not plan hat you gonna eat when SHTF ( and plan intake of minerals, vitamins etc) then your performance will be simply lower, in the time when you gonna need best from your body, physically and psychologically.

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

I love simple techniques like this lady’s.

http://momwithaprep.com/how-to-make-kale-powder/

Simple and reproducible. I imagine 10-12 plants harvested regularly over the course of a growing season could really make a big difference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.