Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

So one thing we all need to remember is water is in all types of pipe. Sprinkler systems for yards and in building it is the fire sprinkler systems. Some of the apartment building roofs have gutters that go all the way down the building so you would need to study them for the rain water collection.

Profile photo of speakingtruth2you
    speakingtruth2you
    Survivalist
    member2

Many of you have pointed out things I hadn’t thought of yet and I’m very appreciative.
    I’m thankfully we can collectively share and help one another here.

speakingtruth2you

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Speakingtruth2you ,
    Many commercial building use sillcock key spigots in order to prevent some passerby from turning on the water on their building after hours , and leaving it on ……makes the city mad and costs them money . Their groundskeeper will of corse , have the key to it . The $3 spent at your local hardware store, on a 4-way key , might become very handy some day . They are small , and not bad to have in a B&E kit . Just Sayin

speakingtruth2you
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks I got to thinking “wait a minute I need a key”. lol
    You read my head! :)

speakingtruth2you

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m am referring to fire sprinkler systems, specifically wet systems. Some buildings with non heated areas used dry systems filled with compressed air. Just reading the upper pressure gage will let you know if it is air or water and if there is still water in the system.

speakingtruth2you
    Survivalist
    member2

Good to know this. I would have no idea of this.
    Thanks

speakingtruth2you

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

In truth, I don’t know beans about a survival situation in an apartment.

When we were first married and had moved back to the States, we did have an apartment – and I was still wound fairly tight from the service – so I made it a point to know who lived where, who drove what, what their hours were and gleaning as much information as possible from them (without being pushy or nosy) as I could.

Being stuck in a high-rise during a SHTF scenario bothers me… Like Sled, I’m not built for it. Cooped up spaces, too many people, too many vectors to watch at once, not enough resources… especially water.

I’m thinking I would be tribing up with as many like-minded folks in my apartment building as possible – especially the maintenance guys. They know things about the building – and have the keys – that tenants don’t suspect. Some apartment buildings even have underground service tunnels that lead surprising places… when I was stationed in Europe, some of the places I have been were riddled with underground tunnels – mostly as a means to get from Point A to Point B without exposing oneself to danger – one place also included an entire underground tank park (it had a soccer pitch built over it). Lots of sections were chained shut and closed off, but discovering where the keys were wasn’t hard…

If a high-rise had underground service areas that the tenants didn’t know about, if you could get the maintenance guys on board, they might serve as a discreet place to stash your necessaries. Provided you could lock up your stuff.

Still… an interesting subject… mental experiment…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

THat is another critical point about apartments , the maintenance and office staff have the key to all the units , this means two sets of YOUR keys in a two boxes . If your apparent has a smart lock , its a simple matter to rekey it yourself ( it requires a smart key or a1/16 piece of flat metal to fit into the slot of the lock ) . If you dont have a smart lock , go get one . This will only stop discreet theft , if you dont have your doors hardened in some way also ., but it will stop any recon of your place while you are gone , as their keys will no longer work . All they would have to do is drill out your lock , takes 5 min or less……………..just sayin .
    Also be aware of your preps location . I say this because , at almost every complex in the US , the maintenance staff WILL enter your apartment , with or without your permission in an emergency . Emergencies in most cases are to check out flooding . You may not be home when this happens . If the apartment below you complains of water dripping from the ceiling , they WILL enter your apartment to see if its coming from you . If the place above you floods out , they will enter your place to make sure the damage has not spread . Just be aware of that .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus has a very good point regarding maintenance staff in buildings, all buildings. A semi conductor mfg I worked for had 10,000 gallons of purified deionized water stored in an indoors tank. No one would know it was there from outside the bld.

Usually there are maintenance areas in buildings designed for HVAC equipment and plumbing access only maintenance would be familiar with that could easily hold storage.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Great point about maintenance staff just walking in. That is quite scary. My mother used to manage apartment complexes while I was still AD. The stories she told and odd conclusions that they jumped to were enough to make a sitcom.

I never could stand the thought of being around so many people so I have only lived in apartments for a total of 2 years in my entire life. I have a hard enough time in the suburbs. ….

More power to you guys that can handle it. I am happy that you are tossing this information out here because one never knows when it might be handy to have learned.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

74 water sprinkler water is stagnant you probably dont want to drink the rusty water unless treated heavily first.most big buildings have steam boilers… there is always fresh and treated water lines… only take from fresh or intake lines NEVER from treated. you will need a big pipe wrench and at least a few hundred gallons of containers as you will get ALL at once and cant stop it till drained.

get wire and fencing tools you can use local shopping carts wired together as barricades and noise maker. still bet is to move…

the smoke from catalytic still puts out thermal signature so best pipe it away from you or use it as a distractions the smell still exists too.

you will need to watch for carbon monoxide poisoning when using any “burning” type fuels indoor it is a very real risk.

smell from cooking in city will bring many hungry people

sanitation nightmare will definitely get outbreak of some disease

i would also get sandbag and find place to fill with gravel.

you will need a sledge hammer for new entrances exits.

rope for repelling grapnel for climbing.

at best it is a death trap in city, some will always survive…. at what cost both mentally and physically?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus,
    Sprinkler system water can be the most foul stuff there is, no question about that. But there is a lot of it, and sometimes it’s not totally foul and could be filtered or distilled.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am with 74 on the water sprinkler. It can be used to flush the toilets too. Need to own many water filters if you live in an apartment building. The 30 to 40 gallons of water to be found in every water heater is a big source.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

This has been a very useful conversation. Even those of us who live more rural could well find ourselves in an urban setting on the day the SHTF.

Something like 80% of the population in the US is classified as urban, and I suspect most other countries have similarly high %’s. “Urban” is going to include suburban settings too. Come SHTF the folks in the suburbs will have it a bit better than the city proper but suburban areas are more or less totally dependent upon modern infrastructure too. More urban survival discussions would be a good thing.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Water tanks can be found adjacent to builings in some cities that have areas of low water pressure and in rural areas without hydrants for fire sprinkler systems. Codes require the tanks to be full. Tanks that are 50-100 thousand gallons are common. Most of the vavles are locked so a pair of bolt cutters would be necessary.

After an EMP event this water will be unobtainable after a hard freeze. When it finally thaws the pipes will be broken.

Volunteer fire companies usually have a tanker truck full of water that might be useful if it’s not being declared by the members or town.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.