Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Eagle223usa wrote:
    Why thank you gentlemen and ladies, if any.
    We have Several!

Are you packing “Hits” or “Misses”? Both weigh the same! Carrying hits means the amount you can carry will last longer, and you increase your chances for survival.

Thanks again for putting up with my rants.

I love that quote.
    But on first read, I spun it to read that an AR generally has a better accuracy than an AK, but then the HITS actually weigh LESS than the MISSES of a less accurate (for some) heavier platform.

I could sell all of my AK stuff and convert an AR to 300BLK specs, but then again I would miss the AK Fun! I think I will do the 300BLK if I have enough time and resources, but other projects have priority. Too Bad, it’s a great setup and much better for an AR-toting B.O.B. in the U$A!

Glad to have you on board, Eagle!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond, Your post makes a lot of sense. There will be many 2-bit gun runner selling ammo here and sivler and gold will be what they will want done dollars which will be worth zero. These 2-bit gun runner will have every gun, gun parts, ammo. It will be just like every other war that has happen before except the gun runners will be Russians, Chinese, and from other counties.

So this is a very good reason to own some silver or gold too!

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I hear ya FREE…
    Maybe the paper U$D will retain some value, but in the continental U$ only, most likely. The U$D is worth so much less than it was on the Silver Standard in the 60’s, and the remnants of Gold Backing until ’71 to where it is in reality over 99% devalued, if you count ALL the digi-fiat being held in the massive bank computers around the world. If you count it’s value as opposed to Gold Markets (heavily manip-manopped) today, it is severely dented. The U$D is artificially fluffed, and PMs are battered down with non-reconciled trades endlessly. This is the reality of our money…

If all the digital dollar$ were to wander off into cyber-hell, the paper could have some value again, if it were recognized as money, that is. But only those in this country would accept it, IMO. These international gun runners would demand real money, just like the Chinese are doing now, buying every scrap of Gold and Silver available at these bargain prices our idiot “leaders” are generating by trying to prop up the U$D. :(

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Eagle223usa
    Eagle223usa
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks Undergrond,

What I meant was with a limited supply of ammo you would need more if your misses don’t solve your problem. Using more ammo to settle a situation means you have less to deal with the next one, and the one after that. You also attract less attention if you fire one or two rounds and can retire victorious, mag dumps increase attention, Less noise, less time spent trading ordinance, better chance to survive.

And please, don’t take me wrong, It is like Ford Vs. Chevy. Both beat the hell out of walking!

If in the last days, I wake to find my clothes in tatters, my wife and children terrified and my hair on fire, I would consider myself very fortunate to have an AK with a couple loaded magazines! We would make do! AK’s are fun! Determination is your best weapon.

I believe just discussing this is good for everybody here.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Right On, EAGLE!

Like the Ford/Chevy thing, it is
    RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG!

Practice Makes Perfect! AR or AK…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of recon
    recon
    Survivalist
    member1

Chinese AK! Enough said!

Profile photo of Darkheart
    Darkheart
    Survivalist
    member1

And to reply to an earlier post about AR’s jamming, Really? If you have a decent, even mid grade AR with a decent un damaged magazine shooting mil-spec ammunition you will be rewarded with amazing reliability. The biggest downfall of these rifles is the operator. Sometimes your weapon will have to take abuse, but you should give some care to the system that will save your life. And yes, I have carried the AR system in the field, and yes, it does work, even with very little, if any maintenance.

I was waiting for someone to throw this bullshit out there. The AR in question was actually a bit upmarket and was taken to a gunsmith who quoted me an astronomical figure for getting the weapon running properly (this was practically out of the box), but I guess you know better. That’s why the M4 has such a strong reputation for reliability (especially so with no maintenance, natch), and is loved by all who have had to carry it. Best of luck staying in your 600m fantasy land. I bet it’s warm there.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Eagle , no offense taken , the Russians designed the AK for house to house , and close combat in mind . It was the direct result of the painful lessons they learned in WW2 , where by far , they were engaged in desperate street fighting for most of the war . This is where the Germans had the advantage in small arms variety at their disposal . The Russians were mostly stuck with the Mosin or PPSH , they needed another class of weapon suited for the type of fighting they were doing . The AK was the end result of that search . Too late to help in WW2 , they got exactly what they wanted for that role , no more – no less . The SKS was also part of that search , and the SKS actually did see combat in WW2 . People today are quick to criticize older designs , without understanding the design . Are there better things out than the AK ? yes there is ! and after several decades in design , there would be a serious problem in gun IQ , if there was not by now . The AK was typical of Russian wartime design of the era , it was made to fit a certain role , and thats it . It was like the PPSH in the respect that it was crude , simple to operate , made to be used in bad conditions by sometimes poorly trained soldiers and still function . Crude , yes , but as far as SMG’s go ……….the PPSH was a damn good SMG , no more , no less …………the AK had a similar design philosophy . It is what it is , and will get the job done without much complaint .

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Different Tools for Different Jobs.
    That has been and remains what it is all about!

AK: CQB and mid range, good ME in it’s range.
    AR: (5.56) Long and Mid Range, high velocity, lightweight ammo for high round count on extended missions.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Darkheart wrote:

The AR in question was actually a bit upmarket and was taken to a gunsmith who quoted me an astronomical figure for getting the weapon running properly (this was practically out of the box),

Upmarket ARs seem to suffer more of this than simple mil-spec weapons. My son’s (USMC) first AR was an $1,100 Stag Arms, and when he convinced me to buy an AR, I found a local shop (former Army Ranger) who sourced select affordable parts and assembled them. I picked a few options, and started making payments. Told my son about this and e was glad I was finally taking the dive! When I told him how much it was ($700) he told me I could not get a good AR for that. I told him what I listed above, and he was still doubtful. When he inspected my AR, he was impressed! Even more so when we shot it ;) “Upmarket” sometimes means you paid too much… some of the high dollar parts are totally unnecessary for the casual shooter, but the big money AR sellers also know the “perceived value” mentality applies to any market that is affected by the news cycle like gun buyers are. :(

Caveat Emptor

Hope you get your battle rifle needs sorted out.
    As for that particular unit, I’d suggest another gunny, or better yet, back to MoM!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Eagle223usa
    Eagle223usa
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Darkheart wrote:</div>

And to reply to an earlier post about AR’s jamming, Really? If you have a decent, even mid grade AR with a decent un damaged magazine shooting mil-spec ammunition you will be rewarded with amazing reliability. The biggest downfall of these rifles is the operator. Sometimes your weapon will have to take abuse, but you should give some care to the system that will save your life. And yes, I have carried the AR system in the field, and yes, it does work, even with very little, if any maintenance.

I was waiting for someone to throw this bullshit out there. The AR in question was actually a bit upmarket and was taken to a gunsmith who quoted me an astronomical figure for getting the weapon running properly (this was practically out of the box), but I guess you know better. That’s why the M4 has such a strong reputation for reliability (especially so with no maintenance, natch), and is loved by all who have had to carry it. Best of luck staying in your 600m fantasy land. I bet it’s warm there.

Well we have identified the problem. You got burned on a boutique AR, and got screwed by a gunsmith…Maybe. Name names. Did this really happen? I doubt it. Like I said bad operator or someone who really knows it all. I have personally carried and maintained this rifle system in the real world, and issued about 250 more. For a few years I was responsible for training and maintenance. Its not bs its reality. Go listen to the drunk Vietnam vet that gave you that perspective, or did you just read it in a book? I call bullshit on you.

Goodnight.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Flamethrower. “Kill it with FIRE!”
    …just kidding.

As far as preference in a firearm, the situation ultimately dictates. CQC or MOUT has so many variables that I believe there is no such thing as a “perfect” universal individual platform. That’s why you have a team and/or squad.

I do not recall anybody mentioning a good ol’ fashioned shotgun for those claustrophobic, room-clearing situations. In that case, I would appreciate a Mossberg 500 with no bells or whistles -OR- if I was feeling crazy with my money, a Benelli 1014 (M4) with telescoping stock…but let’s not get crazy.

I tried to read every post thoroughly, but I may have missed some info here and there.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Darkheart wrote:</div>

Okay, most higher end AR’s need more ‘run-in’ time and rounds.
    The manufacturers don’t put a bunch of rounds through them, only test fire for function 3-5 rounds.

Most people don’t want a ‘used’ gun with hundreds of rounds through it. Even if that is what it takes to get it to have all the parts seated and started to be worn in and smooth.

As a gunsmith, I can say that my ‘services’ for making a reluctant AR run aren’t cheap, but considering what happens to the gun while I have it, and the hours involved, it’s actually a bargain.

I recently had a like new, top end Noveske in for tweaking. Things I polish when I build an AR got done, burrs and sharp edged were removed. When I was done, the testfire included a mag of mixed ammo. The box of junk ammo I use includes some handloads, Malaysian ball, Wolf and PRVI, and many more. There’s at least 15 different types in the box at any one time. The customer was there for the testfire, let’s just say he was pleased with the results.

Eagle was right, most of the time issues with the AR platform revolve around lubrication, magazines and ammo. These are operator issues, got a junk mag, get rid of it. Use bad ammo, shame on you. Don’t want to put some lube in the gun? You’re gonna have to take the blame on that one too.

Other times, it can be as simple as a metal shaving under the extractor (Wilson Combat), the gas carrier key not being staked properly (multitudes) and one ‘custom’ that came in last week that the only thing keeping the barrel nut in place was the gas tube, not even hand tight. The barrel was moving from side to side as you moved the gun around.

Our local SO brings their AR’s to me now. They’ve got 2 in house armorers and have had different ones over the years, but I fix their problem children, which they can’t seem to do. And it’s cheaper for them to bring them to me in the long run as I go through the rest of the gun and fix what needs fixin’, not just bandaid the problem.
    Considering the amount of crud, carbon and junk in them (they get cleaned every 5 years), it’s almost amazing that they run well enough to qualify, but they do. A shot of oil, some good ammo and mags and they just keep going.

As one who has had various lemons myself, including Glocks (yes, plural), I don’t judge the entire breed or brand on one bad example.
    For example, there’s also a reason most high end 1911 manufacturers give a X-round count break in period, so the gun is allowed to run in rather than spending man hours final fitting and ‘loosening’ up the gun so it’ll run 100%.

My last Sheriff picked up a high end 6.5 AR. Left hand gun built for him, it was fully customized (@$3500) but he was having issues for hours during qualifications. I gave it a heavy dose of oil and opened up the gas system (adjustable) and told him to go run it like he meant it, not baby it. Suddenly it ran like a scalded cat.

My M4’gery is an embarrassment. It’s loose, ugly and old school.
    But when you peek under the hood, and run the action, it’s like the old moonshiners cars. Tweaked, polished and tuned to run. And that’s with stock parts, same as my Glocks.
    I loan it out in classes, I teach with it, I carried it on duty. It doesn’t get cleaned when I’m teaching and I’m still waiting for it to have an issue that wasn’t ammo related (we got a bad batch of ammo at my last PD)

One bad example doesn’t mean you condemn the entire breed, except maybe liberals.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I own both AR and AK platforms but in SHTF I’d probably be grabbing the AK for all the reasons we know the platform has to offer. I’m putting the final touches on the AR as a back up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_mRhpg0QBaOWk9ySl9nQ3MyekU/view?usp=sharing

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, I thing you are still missing one or two things on that AR. If that is your AR and it will be used as your backup I like to see your AK!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.