Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

First: Underground, not a new poster, just have not posted in quite a while

Second: Ogre206, I am jealous, I have been lusting after a Marlin 1894FG for quite a while.

Third: Sledjockey, I have always found that Dodge is much more of an acquired taste than Ford, and GM always seems to have a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste

Rob

flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2

I would have to go with a PWS piston driven AR. It’s the best of both worlds for me. Reliable, accurate, well balanced and accurate out to 650 yards.

PWS AR

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Flatty….

That’s a nice weapon system.

http://ageofdecadence.com

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

Here is my Daniel Defense with a Leupold custom shop (1.6x-4.8x) firedot scope mounted in the scout position. IMHO the firedot is superior to an RDS in that it will work well without batteries. With batteries, the combination is outstanding. In addition, the rifle carries a Streamlight TLR2 HL weaponlight and the pistol grip houses extra batteries..The BUIS are 45 degree offset BUIS and the sling is a woodland camo paracord sling.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

10-22 ruger

1. less likely to be banned.
    2. 100 round clip solves all zombie apocalypse problems.
    3. light weight everything.
    4. doesn’t make thunder.

If I ever need anything bigger, its either for a bear (12 gauge plz) or its time to leave the violence behind + retreat. If it turns out to be the end of everything, im not gonna go out in the first few rounds thats for damn sure….

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

lci115lewis wrote:

First: Underground, not a new poster, just have not posted in quite a while

Rob

Nice to meet you then!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 09stanggt
    09stanggt
    Survivalist
    member1

AR of some flavor although I have an AK as well. Why AR over AK? I built both. Unfortunately didn’t realize problems with Tapco replacement triggers for compliance parts. So, my AK is legal but doesn’t yet function like an AK. That is, the bolt drags over the replacement hammer and fails to come completely into battery. A few hundred more rounds ought to solve that problem.

In the US, the AR just makes more sense. The ammo of choice will be 5.56, not 7.62×39, and there will be plenty of it. There are plenty of magazines available. As long as the .mil is supplying things that run on 7.62×51 and 9mm, they’re worth having as well. Personally, if it came down to just carrying weight I think I’d rather have a couple more mags than a handgun.

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

AK for me. The operating system just makes more sense to me. I’m in the northeast US so I don’t have mountain ranges to cross or the vast expanses of my western brothers and sisters, so the max effective range is also adequate if not downright generous.

Profile photo of Eagle223usa
    Eagle223usa
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi,
    The purpose of shooting is to hit, the purpose of hitting is to stop the action of another that is detrimental to your wellbeing.
    AK’s usually work, depending on the quality of the “Kit” used to rebuild it for import into the USA. The big problem with it is its accuracy potential. Some are really reasonably accurate, if fed good ammo. That would be the problem. If all you plan for is a 25 to 40 meter fight, the AK is fine for your application. But in interpersonal disagreements of the fatal kind, distance is your friend. Skill trumps luck at distance.

There in is the rub. AK’s shooting high quality ammo have the ability to hit at moderate ranges. At 25 yards they will work with any reliable ammo, out past 100 the surplus ammo shoots into minute of APC. A miss does not improve your situation with maximum effectiveness.

Most AR’s are more accurate than the person using them. The standard 5.56×45 ammo for them is usually accurate and clean. It IS the most popular cartridge on the North American continent at this time. And yes, it is effective. But remember, only hits count.

If you are reading this in the United States of America you have the benefit of a shooting culture. I would ask you take advantage of this and go and actually use your weapon of choice, take a shooting class, put 500 rounds of ammo through your rifle without cleaning it. Score every shot as if it was the only shot that mattered to save your life. Oh and carry all your gear to the line, everything you will need for the day. Be honest with yourself and your ability.

And to reply to an earlier post about AR’s jamming, Really? If you have a decent, even mid grade AR with a decent un damaged magazine shooting mil-spec ammunition you will be rewarded with amazing reliability. The biggest downfall of these rifles is the operator. Sometimes your weapon will have to take abuse, but you should give some care to the system that will save your life. And yes, I have carried the AR system in the field, and yes, it does work, even with very little, if any maintenance.

AK’s work fine, but hit potential goes way up with an AR. I do own several examples of both. Just my opinion and experience and its worth what you paid for it.

Good morning.

Profile photo of sabasarge
    sabasarge
    Veteran
    member1

Well stated Eagle, and good morning to you.

We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free
    - Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern -

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Eagle,
    Your advice may prove to be worth much, much more than the price.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

flatlander wrote:
    I would have to go with a PWS piston driven AR. It’s the best of both worlds for me. Reliable, accurate, well balanced and accurate out to 650 yards.

PWS AR

I take it YOU are accurate out to 650 with that bad-boy? :D
    USMC shooters tell me all good ARs can go 600 w/irons and further with a Scope…
    I am impressed with your 650, don’t get me wrong! But the PWS is likely capable of more?
    Inquiring Minds want to know!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

What size group at 650 are you getting?

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I have a good buddy who lurks here occasionally. He is a firearms enthusiast and has an SKS with which he is getting a 6″ grouping at 300 yards. That is plenty good for most situations in most areas of the U$A. YMMV, and you may not be able to find a 7.62×39 blaster that is this accurate… a milled receiver with a good bore can actually group better, but cost more than a good AR platform.

Just a few more points of data, for those pondering a future purchase.

Those who bothered to read Selco’s article will realize that if unrest or a war breaks out, every 2-bit gun runner (and the big boys) in the whole WORLD will be flooding the U$ with guns and ammo, but it will be pricey ;)
    We will have access to plenty of AK and AR ammo, plus all the NATO calibers anyone could want. I suspect the TOK will have plenty of the good mil-surp available once again, as well as the AP in x39 and x54 calibers as well. THIS is why one must also stack Gold and Silver, because it will be extreme if priced in U$D. :P :P :P

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Eagle223usa
    Eagle223usa
    Survivalist
    member2

Why thank you gentlemen and ladies, if any.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my AK’s. I have trained with them and they do work. I hope I didn’t offend anyone, I wrote that at like 5 am as I couldn’t sleep. I have been reading Selcos’ stuff for a while. He has some very good insight. In his area I think an AR would look like an exotic toy and attract undue attention. Also his access to parts and ammo would be very limited. In the USA, the AR is more popular than warm apple pie and as common as a Chevy Silverado or Ford F150.

I work with several veterans of the war he speaks of. They all gravitate towards the Zastava produced weapons, M48, M76 and M70’s. They also cook beans in iron pots in their backyards! I think for them it is nostalgia based! Not surprisingly, they would be considered “preppers” even while living in the land of plenty. It seems that everyone can smell something blowing in with the wind.

As an American I can draw on my heritage too, April 19, 1775, a bunch of farmers routed the best army in the world. They did this through the practice of marksmanship. Only hits count.

In a real fight you only have what you carried in with you. If you are lucky you can forage from the enemy if his weapon system is compatible with yours. If not you have only what you can carry. Are you packing “Hits” or “Misses”? Both weigh the same! Carrying hits means the amount you can carry will last longer, and you increase your chances for survival.

For me, It’s a quality AR, Colt, Bushmaster (Pre-Ceribus) or any other quality brand, there are more good ones than bad ones. I feed them good Lake City made USGI surplus, preferably from Mag Pul P mags, but I have had no problem with USGI aluminum unless they have been dropped or stepped on. Because of my advanced years I use scopes on almost everything, Luepolds mostly.

I still think the advantage in any fight is training and thinking.

Thanks again for putting up with my rants, and Thanks Selco for sharing your experience with us.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.