Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sabasarge
    sabasarge
    Veteran
    member1

Depends I guess on whether I’m holing up at home, or on the move, but it’s safe to say the AR15 would be my go-to long gun. Lots of mags, lots of ammo, and decades of experience with the platform.
    If I’m home, my Marlin 1894 (.357) Trapper would be close by as well.
    Regarding handguns, that would be a tougher call to pick just one. Again, if I need to be on the move, I’m probably leaving my favorite 1911 and going with the G19.
    Just my two Shekels worth.

We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free
    - Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern -

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

oldfatguy ,
    No worries my friend , I always keep at least 6-8 sticks per AK rifle , easily on hand , or at least 6 on my person on a vest when I go out . Good thing about 7.62×39 ammo is that its plentiful and cheap in bulk .

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

lci115lewis wrote:
    Although when I do build that AR, I will be very tempted to build it like a real gun, with wooden furniture.

First of all, WELCOME to SHTF!

LIGHT makes MIGHT(y)

For a battle rifle, (CQB or go-to gun) which is what the topic is, keep it light and fast.
    Just my 2 oz worth :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

RSSwizard wrote:

I like the AK platform but I Do Not like the extreme forward sights. I really dont like the aesthetics or the lack of a carrying grip either, but I can ignore that. I do love folding stocks though. My preference is for the 5.45mm caliber, but I wish the old tumbling rounds were still available. It just seems to do the same job as the older 7.62 but its lighter so you can carry more of it. Ive realized that smaller magazines dont really give you an advantage and often have feed problems (this is universal of firearms). So my choice would be a stack of 20 rounders.

My real choice would be a Dragunov but they’re so expensive I would have to choose another $1,000+ rifle instead for the same price. My alternative would be the Kel-Tec RFB because its a 308 that uses FAL magazines, and id get the sporter version with the 24″ barrel because that provides an accuracy boost. This thing is like something out of the Halo video game.<br>
    Sample Image (RFB)

My weapons of choice would depend on the situation though. Carbines are the best weapons for 200 meters or less. And really a Magpul PDR would beat out a P-90, if they ever made it that is (its even smaller than a tavor, and still fires 5.56mm).

These are MY weapons of choice though. If I had 50 Grand on hand I wouldnt mind spending several thousand on firearms and ammunition, but money is an object. But in the right situation this is my winning combination:<br>
    * Rifle: An AR platform rifle chambered in .458 Socom is my best pick . . . so long as the X-Products 50 round drum magazine (.223 type) would hold the ammunition. But I dont see any reason why it wouldnt if standard .223 AR magazines will load .458 Socom (7 or 9 rounds worth). It stands to reason you could hold 12-16 rounds in a 50 round drum. The reason is because it will slap someone with something as heavy as a shotgun slug which is going as fast as some rifle rounds do.<br>
    Sample Image<br>
    * But if that wouldnt work . . . an AR platform rifle chambered in .300 win mag. NEMO arms makes one with a 14 round magazine capacity. Because its .300 win mag, thats why. Twice the firepower of a .308 and its not obscure either.<br>
    * First Sidearm: Springfield XD with .460 Rowland conversion kit and a Scope Mount. This new over-pressure cartridge packs as much firepower as a .44magnum while still being able to chamber .45acp rounds. The ammunition is obscure but it costs the same as a .44mag to stock up on. Better than spending four times the price on a tricked out desert eagle. This will stop a man, or a bear, and it will do it while they are on top of you unlike a shotgun.<br>
    Sample Image<br>
    * Second Sidearm: Masterpiece Arms 9mm Side Cocking pistol with scope mount, and a ton of subsonic ammunition (the 147grain type). Even if I wasnt going to use a suppressor, you can shoot small game with subsonic and it wont ruin the meal. But I would be making a suppressor for it and it would be off the books, and the only reason id use it is to test it, and it would remain hidden until SHTF. This is something I would get no matter what price range I was looking at — its 9mm, and I like the stability and holding angle better than a glock (which also has 30 rounder mags).<br>
    Sample Image<br>
    * Holdout Pistol: Springfield XDS .45acp with .460 rowland conversion (as above; the conversion can be done on the XDS as well). Why have two pistols that are essentially the same, except one is smaller? Because the larger one has a scope and the smaller one fits in a pocket. Plus ive got two pistols that shoot the same ammunition in case one messes up.<br>
    Sample Image

Wiz, you should armchair quarterback the ballistics a bit better, the 460 Rowland is not quite a 44 Magnum level cartridge in most loadings. I’d rather rely on a 45 Super for even less $$$ but good old +P is plenty for most folks. My research indicates that even with the available funds, reality sets in and smart folks buy the more common calibers and then stock up. One has to consider the availability and cost of reloading components (even common boolits will be scarce) and running out of brass could become a factor. I would suggest you get outfitted with a good old AK or AR first, then maybe get a nice sidearm in 45 Super (still functions with ACP, but maybe the 460 does too?) or just stick with simple 45 ACP and stock some +P for it. For the armored Zombies :D Do an OC shot…
    One good shot with a 45 ACP trumps 6 shots off target with the Rowland ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of STEVE13
    STEVE13
    Survivalist
    member1

I utilize a M70/AB2 and a Tokarev. Why? Because I value simplicity and reliability. Also, I know if it was designed by Communists, it was designed without regard to “planned obsolesce” unlike many modern post-WW2 Western weapons.

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

For me it’a all about ammo per lb and common ammo / parts.

Rifles:

AR-15 for defense (more ammo per lb carried than AK, most common ammo and rifle system for parts. My Daniel Defense is dead reliable.and just over 6 lbs bare.

FX Independence 25 cal airgun for small game. I’s approx as powerful as a .22 short and extremely accurate. Can carry over 2x the ammo per lb as .22lr and much lower cost as well. not common by any means tho. Advantage here is that it’s silent so I have less chance of having to fight for the food I just shot. The rifle is just under 7 lbs bare.

Pistols: Sig all the way.

Sig Mk-25 9mm for main sidearm and Sig P290RS 9mm for backup. Both dead reliable and 9mm is common and cheap. I prefer .40 S&W or .357 Sig and I could also carry an extra slide and a couple of spare bbls & mags to convert the Mk-25 to both of these calibers. Weight-wise, the conversion slide and mags might come at the expense of ditching the backup.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Profile photo of Ogre206
    Ogre206
    Survivalist
    member2

like sabasarge I have a Marlin 1894 only in .41 magnum instead of .357
    I like it its pretty light in my opinion, the kick isn’t bad ,it will knock someone on their ass, and its hella accurate.
    that said its not my go to rifle for the the following reasons
    First and foremost i have a hard time finding boxes of 50 rounds for it in peace time, you might have to shoot more than 200 rounds out of your rifle when SHTF
    Second of all you cant put a sling on it easily I think that should be important
    my go to choice would be an AR-15 with a 20 inch barrel (at least 16 inch barrel) because that is going to be how you get the most bang for your buck out of a 5.56
    .300 blackout would be a nice choice if they had boxes of it in stores
    as side arms Im not old enough to buy one anyway so i would rather carry more ammo

AKs are good too

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t think I ever bought the the best gun for any application. My usual practice is to buy a suitable gun for my purpose within my price point. I bought a Century Arms C93 HK clone. Most of the gun parts are original new HK parts, like the bolt assembly, springs and furniture. The gun is accurate and reliable, my two main requirements for a gun. I use a 1.5-6 scope with an etched illuminated reticle so I can see my target in low light. Rings are a one piece detachable mount so if the scope is damaged it’s easy to go back to iron sights. One major drawback is magazines were not readily availible for quite a while, and the mags are 40 rounds making it difficult to find proper mag poches. Happily magazines are easy to find now.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to anyone new on the forum, join us on the other threads we value your input.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have a hard time picking a single weapon to fit all needs. Depending on what is going on regulates how I would load and pack out.

If I needed protection more than feeding myself I would pick the following. This is more my outdoors kit where I will spend a lot of time protecting myself and not a lot of time having to hunt.
    1) My AR15. It has a 20 inch barrel and is set up for longer range shooting. US forces have adopted the compatible platform and this build fires military ammo without issue.
    2) My Beretta 92A1. Again, it is the cousin of the US forces sidearm of choice so I can also use the same ammo as they use.
    3) My M&P Shield as a hold out pistol. Again it is 9mm and uses the same ammo as US forces us.
    4) My Beretta U22 in my pack for small game. I have the 6″ barrel on it and it is deadly accurate to minute of Coke can 50 yards + with a good rest.
    *****Wife has an AR15 16″ barrel all set up with red dot, laser, flashlight, etc and a Glock 30. Would have her grab my AR7 for small/mid sized game.

More CQB and home protection:
    1) KSG with laser sight, red dot and choke tube mod. Lots of lead in a small package.
    2) My Beretta again.
    *****Wife has her Glock 30 and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Her AR is on a 2 point and easily accessible if out of ammo in the scatter gun.

More hunting and get to the hills to feed self:
    Probably take same as my force on force, but add a .300 Wby with my 4×16 scope on it for longer range hunting/shooting or my 30-06 with 4×12 scope because I have some old military rounds put back for it.
    *****Wife would be same as force on force type, but swap out AR7 for KSG mentioned above.

The only caveat to this is the fact that having my 45-70 would be nice to keep around for punching engine blocks/stopping cars if need be. 500 grains of destruction being tossed out to either cut down trees or kill a Dodge is really nice.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

What’s a Dodge taste like?

Profile photo of Gev
    Gev
    Survivalist
    member1

It’s ironic that the Zastava M70 is being discussed when I literally told a friend of mine asking for a recommendation on a mag fed long rifle and I pointed him at the CAI NPAP. They’re cheap as heck right now, as cheap or cheaper than WASRs and I’ve heard nothing but good things about the M70’s accuracy/build quality.

I’ve had my Maadi AK-47 MISR S/A for probably 16 years now and Love that thing to death. It shoots on rails (after fixing the busted front sight) and I bought it on the cheap from a vietnam reenactor (the one who busted the front sight).

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

Chicken…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I was thinking they would be really greasy

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Ironically Dodge and Ford taste the same no matter how much BBQ sauce you use…. Weird, huh?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.