Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

This is the discussion for the new article about the AK 47.

What is your go to gun for SHTF and why?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

My go to weapon is also the AK , I know it can take the abuse that would make other weapons cry and not very fussy about the ammunition its fed , or the environment it find itself in . I just got a few 75 rnd drum magazines for the ones I have .

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

AR15. It’s the “American Standard” so to speak. I have 2 B.O.B. members, (band of Brothers) and they both have AKs, so I bought some ammo for when they need it. Russian Ammo Scare came, and I bought MORE 7.62×39. Then I got a Yugo :D Looks just like Selco’s above pic, except it has tactical polymer black furniture. Much lighter than the standard Russian AK! I know the AK and 7.62×39 will be everywhere, so I have BOTH “standards”, US and Russian! :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

My current go to rifle would be my Indian L2a (Lee-Enfield in 7.62×51), my pistol would either be my Ruger Blackhawk or my wife’s Makarov.

Why? Because they are what I currently own and know how to use quite thoroughly. Currently the budget is just not there for any more guns, but when funds become available I plan to build at least 1 AR style gun and try out at least 1 AK model and an SKS. The AR because decent parts have become so affordable and it is pretty easy to build multiple uppers in different calibers, I am very tempted by an SKS, but I would want to try it and an AK to see which one feels best to me. I will also be buying myself another Makarov in .380, my wife’s is a nice little pocket pistol for me, but I will also be looking for something more powerful as my primary pistol, maybe sticking with .41 magnum since I love it in my Blackhawk and am all set up to reload for it already.

Although when I do build that AR, I will be very tempted to build it like a real gun, with wooden furniture.

Profile photo of big_g
    big_g
    Survivalist
    member1

Choosing between my modernized rifles, I’d have to pick the AR15 although I really like my upgraded Yugo M70 and pimped out Czech vz58. Secondary weapon would be the Glock 22C.

The AR just has a little better ergos, a couple extra gadgets, and a fair bit better accuracy. That opinion might change this weekend after I spend two days training with the vz 58 though!

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

Tolik, dump the drums–get standard 30rd mags. The drums are actuated by a clock spring. One day–while winding it–you’ll experience it breaking. Could be the first time you use it, or the 10th, or the 50th or… You’ll have no choice but drop it on the ground and run as you slam another another into your weapon. You’ll lose the ammo in the discarded drum, and maybe get killed while changing it out. The 30 rnd mags don’t fail, and if one did, takes less time to drop it and install another, the loss of ammo will be more manageable. The springs in these “banana” mags won’t break, but should they fatigue, and feed unreliably, you need only pull the bottom plate when you have time, and remove the spring and stretch it a little–like new! Good luck!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I have two.
    The AR15, for a number of reasons.
    First everyone in the house can use it.
    Its ergonomic and easy to use.
    Properly built, they are just as reliable as an AK.
    Parts, ammo, easily available.
    Cost, remarkably similar to a good AK.
    I have more reasons but I’ll save that for when I’m not on a tablet.

2nd: The FAL.
    While not as light as te AR, and the kids can’t handle it yet, I actually do better with the FAL out past 25y. It fits better.
    The power and range thay I gain from the FAL are a boon out here in the mountains. We have elk, deer, bears, mountain lions and wolves right around me. And the extra power also works well on bad guys. And their cars.

Having built and worked on almost everything, these are what I trust.

Profile photo of Squeako
    Squeako
    Survivalist
    member1

16″ Saiga .308 carbine (922R converted Russian AK in .308 Win) for the reliability of an AK with the ammo availability of a moderately-powered hunting rifle. I hope and pray that only plates, paper and bowling pins are the only things that it ever points at.

Profile photo of Darkheart
    Darkheart
    Survivalist
    member1

My survival weapon is an Arsenal AK-104 clone. I tried to love the AR, I really did, I just couldn’t get past the jamming issues. I even went to an Adams Arms gas piston system which jammed so severely that I would have been killed if it were a survival situation.

My AK has never given me a single issue and gobbles up all ammo types like a dream (5.56×45 vs 7.62×39 is another aspect to consider). At this point my commitment is total and I’ve lost interest in most other weapon systems. The thought of trusting my life to anything else makes me nervous.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lone Eagle
    Lone Eagle
    Prepper
    member3

Another Kalashnikov owner here. I have a Arsenal Saiga SGL21-61 and a Romanian AES-10B converted to a DMR. Why? Simplicity, reliability, and ease of maintenance. I’ve owned several AR platforms, and they all failed the reliability and ease of maintenance slots.

Tolik, I had 2 drums that came with my RPK. One broke on the first range trip, and I traded the other for some 40 rounders. Both were Romy back loaders. The only ones I’ve seen take the abuse are the Russian top loaders, and they are scarce. Plenty of 20, 30, and 40 rounders for me.

Never challenge a man who has nothing left to lose.

Profile photo of molonlabe23
    molonlabe23
    Survivalist
    member1

Mine is the SKS with 30 round steel mags. I prefer the SKS over the AK since they are both semi-auto for civilian use, the AK has no advantage there. Also the SKS has a milled receiver vs a stamped on the AK (There are some that have a milled, but majority are stamped), The barrel is a screw-in vs pinned on the AK (There are a few SKS with pinned). The safety is ambi and much more convenient. The SKS also has a lock bolt open on empty, standard AK’s don’t. The SKS also has a longer sight radius which is better for accuracy.

The downside is the AK is shorter and lighter than the SKS, which isn’t an issue with me and if you use a detachable magazine, you have the duck bill on the SKS mags unless you do a AK mag mod to it. You also have to be careful with the firing pin on the SKS if it is not cleaned properly you can have slam fires.

The downside on both is the muzzle raise, which I have compensated for with a muzzle brake and receiver recoil buffer.

I certainly wouldn’t complain if I had AK and would feel just as comfortable with it. Both use the same ammo so when I do get one to add to my collection I won’t have to buy different ammo.

Breathial
    Breathial
    Survivalist
    member3

Battle rifle of choice for me is the Springfield M1A standard. .308W/7.62x51NATO. Plenty of 20-round magazines, the USGI stock (modified for enhanced rigidity). Some tweaks done to make it more accurate, consistently shoots about 2.5 MOA with NATO ammo, 1.5 MOA with match ammo. Topped with a Millett 4×16 mil-dot scope (quick-detach mount). Packs a punch, proven battle-field weapon and reliable. Downside is that it is heavier than AR-15/AK platforms, but that’s a trade-off I’ve decided to make.

I have others… but this is the SHTF/TEOTWAWKI weapon. Big and brutal, admittedly, but effective.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I own the FAL .308 so I know what Whirlibird is talking about. Great weapon. I am thinking of getting an AR 15 soon.

Profile photo of riverrat
    riverrat
    Survivalist
    member1

I was a shooting “hobbyist” for many years before I started to become aware of the deteriorating situation. I have a number of firearms, most of which are not good for combat and others of limited use. I believe that ammunition availability is critical. I will stick with my Garand (.30-06), Mini-14 (.223), Bolt action (.308), 1911 (.45 ACP) and a .357 revolver. Ammunition for these might be more available than others should I run low on my own supply. I can work on any of them and have spare parts.

Profile photo of RSSwizard
    RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

I like the AK platform but I Do Not like the extreme forward sights. I really dont like the aesthetics or the lack of a carrying grip either, but I can ignore that. I do love folding stocks though. My preference is for the 5.45mm caliber, but I wish the old tumbling rounds were still available. It just seems to do the same job as the older 7.62 but its lighter so you can carry more of it. Ive realized that smaller magazines dont really give you an advantage and often have feed problems (this is universal of firearms). So my choice would be a stack of 20 rounders.

My real choice would be a Dragunov but they’re so expensive I would have to choose another $1,000+ rifle instead for the same price. My alternative would be the Kel-Tec RFB because its a 308 that uses FAL magazines, and id get the sporter version with the 24″ barrel because that provides an accuracy boost. This thing is like something out of the Halo video game.
    Sample Image (RFB)

My weapons of choice would depend on the situation though. Carbines are the best weapons for 200 meters or less. And really a Magpul PDR would beat out a P-90, if they ever made it that is (its even smaller than a tavor, and still fires 5.56mm).

These are MY weapons of choice though. If I had 50 Grand on hand I wouldnt mind spending several thousand on firearms and ammunition, but money is an object. But in the right situation this is my winning combination:
    * Rifle: An AR platform rifle chambered in .458 Socom is my best pick . . . so long as the X-Products 50 round drum magazine (.223 type) would hold the ammunition. But I dont see any reason why it wouldnt if standard .223 AR magazines will load .458 Socom (7 or 9 rounds worth). It stands to reason you could hold 12-16 rounds in a 50 round drum. The reason is because it will slap someone with something as heavy as a shotgun slug which is going as fast as some rifle rounds do.
    Sample Image
    * But if that wouldnt work . . . an AR platform rifle chambered in .300 win mag. NEMO arms makes one with a 14 round magazine capacity. Because its .300 win mag, thats why. Twice the firepower of a .308 and its not obscure either.
    * First Sidearm: Springfield XD with .460 Rowland conversion kit and a Scope Mount. This new over-pressure cartridge packs as much firepower as a .44magnum while still being able to chamber .45acp rounds. The ammunition is obscure but it costs the same as a .44mag to stock up on. Better than spending four times the price on a tricked out desert eagle. This will stop a man, or a bear, and it will do it while they are on top of you unlike a shotgun.
    Sample Image
    * Second Sidearm: Masterpiece Arms 9mm Side Cocking pistol with scope mount, and a ton of subsonic ammunition (the 147grain type). Even if I wasnt going to use a suppressor, you can shoot small game with subsonic and it wont ruin the meal. But I would be making a suppressor for it and it would be off the books, and the only reason id use it is to test it, and it would remain hidden until SHTF. This is something I would get no matter what price range I was looking at — its 9mm, and I like the stability and holding angle better than a glock (which also has 30 rounder mags).
    Sample Image
    * Holdout Pistol: Springfield XDS .45acp with .460 rowland conversion (as above; the conversion can be done on the XDS as well). Why have two pistols that are essentially the same, except one is smaller? Because the larger one has a scope and the smaller one fits in a pocket. Plus ive got two pistols that shoot the same ammunition in case one messes up.
    Sample Image

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.