Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Taking Care of Small Children and Babies in Survival Situation

Small children and babies are not so often topic in discussion about time when SHTF. They will be there with us when SHTF and we need to pay attention on some things. This of course applies to everyone who needs help.

What are the your thoughts about taking care of those who need help when SHTF?

Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

It is in our nature to nurture those that cannot help them-selves. The first priority for babies and small children during a disaster is to create a sense familiar normalcy. Children pick up on their parents change in heartbeat, or any unusual changes they exhibit. Having a favorite toy, clothing, snacks or a battery powered device (where age appropriate) will help to give them comfort when in new surroundings. Quickly establish a routine if at all possible. Have all your preps in place for children and babies. If you breast feed be sure to pack formula in the event the mother is not available.

We taught our children and their children about safety and much more as they matured. We play quite games, let them participate in our exercises and even allow the children to help cook. One grandson could start a camp fire before he was 6 years old. I encourage everyone with small children to keep them active and accustomed to the outdoors. Having a safety plan for them to follow is essential as is having dedicated, adult, helpers versed in these plans to aid them. I find that the children in a group are the line in the sand…

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good points Etxgranny.
    It is important to include them in all activities on time, so they can grow with right attitude to the important things that they gonna need one day.

Profile photo of ronym
    ronym
    Survivalist
    member5

That’s why for a couple of year i ( my wife also my kids ) “try” natural health care ( herbal medicine stuff ). To know it is works or not ( when SHTF come, we already have knowledge and experience about it ). here is what i get :
    To deal with diarrhea
    a. we can use a cup of tea ( not with sugar ). it taste horrible but it’s work ( for me ) not just once but many-many time for more than 10 years .
    b. another way is using young leaf of guava ( we get from our garden or neighbour’s garden ), put little water in it and squeeze with spoon, and drink it. It’a work for my kid not just once ( if i can count more than 5 times my kids recover from diarrhea just using guava leaf )
    c. once in few a year, my kids are suffering heavy diarrhea. in the first day, we use guava leaf. but in the second day sometimes it’s not works ( the liquid **** still come out ), they dehydrate so quickly in less than 6 hour. sometimes we do our best but if there are no recovery sign ( the **** stop come out in few hour ) then we go to the hospital before it’s too late. our first dauhter are ever having heavy diarrhea and the nurse sez “if your kid are not injecting by liquid in 1 hour” your daughter maybe dead.
    Important lesson about diarrhea :

• kids are vulnerable to diarrhea because of kids are so weak if the diarrhea are more than one day. They are tend to just sleep in the bed ( not willing to drink or eat ), so their body are dehydrate quickly ( nothing or little comes in, but lot of **** go out ).
    • because of that dehydration, there is no other way than injecting liquid directly to blood vein. because of my background is not in pharmacy or modern healthcare, i am curious about the liquid, so i read what ingredient in it. in the injecting liquid bottle, it says “sodium”, “glucose”, sometimes “kalium”. I get it, it’s like sodium chloride ( table salt ), glocose ( sugar ). So i have an idea of using coconut water to replace this liquid in SHTF ( big chance are this injecting liquid are depleted soo fast and become rare because of not many industry are produce them ).
      In the chemical composition of coconut water, also have sodium, glucose, kalium on it.
    • another possibility are using table salt + sugar + water like usually we give it to the sick ( drink it ). but in SHTF weinjecting it directly to blood vein.
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Healthy prevention and treatment of diarrhea would be to take probiotics. You can take probiotics every 30 min to treat diarrhea. Prevention by eating yogurt and raw vegetables often. Apple without the skin also helps. Keep children hands as clean as possible. Drinking lots of clean water.

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Leopard wrote:</div>Healthy prevention and treatment of diarrhea would be to take probiotics. You can take probiotics every 30 min to treat diarrhea. Prevention by eating yogurt and raw vegetables often. Apple without the skin also helps. Keep children hands as clean as possible. Drinking lots of clean water.

Leopard I agree that the simple act of washing ones hands can prevent the spread of many diseases, especially in a time when synthesized medicine is unavailable. Learning to make yogurt and cheese are good skills to have as well as being loaded with probiotics. Use caution with small children and those with chronic diseases as too much bacteria can throw a body off balance.

ronym I too have studied and used various wild and herbal remedies with good success. I can walk out into my own yard and find plantain or devils claw growing wild. Both of these help alleviate inflammation and more. Plantain is also edible.

Very good thread selco and you yall!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Sure, hygiene is something like first line of defense always.
    It become especially important when SHTF, because simply all help that we used to from the system is gone, so we must think on everything, and it is very dirty world.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Go to http://store.hesperian.org/HB/bookstore.html#HandEbooks and download free .PDF books like A Book for Midwives, Where There Is No Doctor, Where There Is No Dentist, Disabled Village Children, Helping Children Who Are Blind, Helping Children Who Are Deaf, and Community Guide to Environmental Health.

The books come in many languages. You can learn how to make litrasol to control diarrhea with just sugar, salt, and clean water. If you can afford to get the hard copy books, in case you have no electricity or Internet service, they are well worth the price.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

For those of you who have prepped for babies, what has that included? While it seems like my grandkids (newborn & just turned 2 years old) won’t make it here in a SHTF scenario due to distance (850 miles), it would give me some hope if I was at least ready for them. At their ages what they are eating and using changes very quickly. The newborn is being breastfed and the older one doesn’t like to eat. She is in the 75th percentile for height and the 5th percentile for weight. It’s been that way since birth. Just going to be a skinny kid is all. My daughter has to work hard to get adequate nutrition in her. The pediatrician says she is perfectly healthy, but for my prepping purposes at this stage of her life just assuming she’ll eat anything the rest of us eat may not be the best approach.

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

I know how you feel MB. When I began there wasn’t as much information available as now-a-days. I have 5 grand’s ranging from 20 to 6 yrs. I made their baby foods by combining different veggies and fruit flavors and watched the baby’s reaction to each one. My young grand’s would live off chicken strips and potatoes. What I did was can up some chicken with the pressure canner and introduced it to them…they loved it. I have planned for other foods like pizza, spaghetti, applesauce and others. I believe in storing what they will eat. Believe me it will be eaten by someone. here is a list to get you going:

01. Bottles, nipples, bottle brush, formula (if the mother is away) Sippy cup, spoons, food dishes, bibs.
    02. Cloth diapers, diaper pins. Onesies, gowns, knit caps, blankets, socks, booties, wash clothes and towels.
    03. Over the counter baby wash, oil, lotion, cornstarch powder, diaper cream, teething meds/ring, aspirin, eye drops, cotton balls, ointments…
    04. Nail care kit for babies, ear bulb, hair brush and comb, thermometer, enema bag for babies, Pedisure; better yet learn to make your own, bottled water, pacifiers, sunscreen, netting to put over their crib or bassinet.
    05. Include, toys and books…add larger size clothing for growth and assorted sizes of deposable diapers
    There is much more, but I will share recipes and sewing advice if anyone needs it….just ask

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks etxgranny. For the most part all we have right now are toys, books, and some of the basics such as playpen, high chair etc. so that they don’t have to bring that stuff with them when they visit. My wife will get a list of food/drink stuff and diapers to buy in advance of the visit and our daughter brings everything else she needs. I’ll use your list to do some preps shopping myself and just tuck it away in the basement.

Even those that don’t have babies in their family/group now should think about setting aside some of these baby items. Babies are going to keep on being born after the world falls apart, perhaps even more frequently once birth control is no longer readily available.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Selco is a nurse, so he may be able to clarify this. There is a medical phenomenon (food fatigue) where the very old and very young will not adapt to a new diet in a SHTF situation. They prefer to slowly starve, rather than eat strange food. How do medical professionals handle this?

Also, my mother used this recipe from WWII England for emergency baby formula:
    – 1 can evaporated whole milk (e.g., Carnation)
    – 2 cans water
    – 1/2 cup golden corn syrup
    – 3 drops of infant vitamins (mostly A and D) per bottle
    Sanitize glass baby bottles. Boil the milk, water and corn syrup in the bottles for 20 minutes. Cool until it is comfortable on the wrist. Add 3 drops of vitamins per bottle when cool.

Is that adequate, or should we use something else?

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

When I was younger this is the same way my Mama made formula for her children…She did not add the vitamins, that I am aware of. Carnation evaporated milk has A and D vitamins added and I use clear corn syrup. Thanks for sharing the recipe patjoe. I am still very new to the forums and did not know selco was a nurse. Anytime you can consult a medical professional it is best.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Nothing will blow your cover and put people on edge like a crying baby. Etxgranny, my mother also made gripe water for colic:

– 1 tsp. mint leaves (spearmint or peppermint are best)
    – 1 tsp. fennel seed
    – 1 tsp. crushed ginger
    – 1 tsp. dill
    – 1 liter of boiled water
    – 2 tbsp. sugar (NEVER give honey to infants less than 1 year old because of botulism)
    Substitute 1/2 tsp. dried herbs for 1 tsp. fresh, if necessary. Two drops of essential oils extracted in glycerine will be OK, if you have neither fresh nor dried herbs, but don’t use oil extracted with alcohol for children or alcoholics. Place the herbs in a tea ball or tie them in a piece of cheesecloth. Soak the herbs in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Alternatively, simmer the herbs in a pan on the stove for 15 minutes and pour the mixture through a strainer to remove the leaves. Add sugar. Cool before serving in a 4-oz. baby bottle or by teaspoonfuls. The child will probably pass gas at both ends within the hour.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.