Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Survival Among Humans
    We all like to think “oh it is happening to someone else, in some strange countries” I thought that too.
    Truth is it can happen anywhere, and it will happen.

What do you expect to see when SHTF?

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Ooooh yes, I believe you. When I met my husband, he had bought some land from a “friend” he worked with. A nice 5 acres, woods, field, stream. Then I found out the “friend”, who lived next door, had a “black book list” of the people he was going to exact revenge upon, when things went down. NO THANK YOU.

When we decided to sell the property and buy another one far away, the “friend” did many weird things, including heaping all his garbage/trash along the property line and spilling it onto my husband’s. A health issue plus it made the place difficult to sell. Many other things I won’t go into…but thank God we live nowhere near him.

Just look at the videos of “Black Friday” and other similar scenarios. And these are in “good” times–people fighting, trampling, killing each other over TVs and sports shoes.

I have no illusions about the behavior of people when things go down, or they begin to feel the pinch. In Christianity, we call it “the sin nature of mankind”. For a brief while we managed a business for someone–storage units and UHaul truck rentals. My husband– tongue-in-cheek but also seriously– commented that if anyone doubts the fact of “sin nature” just rent out UHaul trucks or storage units for a month. I never knew there were so many ways to cheat… Not creative enough I guess ;)

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

A few years ago we decided between friends to each write a short story about a shtf in our countries. Going through it in your mind was a very good experience. Seeing yourself putting things together to leave your house.. or trying to get home.. getting to your children at school..Later looking for water and food. Being tired, hungry, scared. Lack of sleep. Cold at night. Worried about friends and family – not being able to call them.

I only need to look at the news to see how they block road to the airports. They block roads so often – I keep on thinking that the only way to get out will be to leave before shtf or with a helicopter.

And my worse nightmare. Being cornered by men with pangas (machetes). Being raped ..burned with a rubber tyre around your shoulder. The woman also like to through stones and hacking people to death. Strange … all this is already happening in the townships.

When I put something like a compass, map in a bag – I look at the map – I can see myself walking through the mountains. Putting socks in the bag – I hope they will last long. Buying shoes I look at the soles and hope they will not be slippery. Driving to meetings, I look the neighborhoods – the high walls. I do not think a day goes by without me thinking about a shtf scenario. Recently the pipeline to Gauteng was sabotaged – (petrol) gas stolen. We might have a shortage soon.

What do I expect to see in South Africa?

Crime simply spiraling out of control. The police and private security not being able to prevent it anymore. More people simply looting shops and burning down places. Starting with xenophobia as an excuse. The outside world will wait till there is nothing left of the economy and then step in to “restore order”. There might be war between some countries fighting over the Southern tip of Africa. I can’t see that it will be over soon. It might take more than 8 years before things will start calming down. (My prediction – NATO will provide the Malema from BFF party with weapons to start his racist war.)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard,
    I know you have stuff holding to where you are, but from the things you discribe it’s time to figure out a way to go wthout losing everything.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

What do I expect to see in South Africa?

Yep, it is gonna be bad there, it is already very bad as I understand it, so there are way too much people to “jump out” and make real chaos when SHTF.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Fire,violence killings, Those who prep and do not take into account outcome that includes needs for defense are doomed. Without supplies for years and away after to keep on going with fresh supplies starvation and disease will claim you. Being in city will be most risky being far away has other risks, Without friends and family that number 10+ adults survival will be even tougher.

Without water readily available will be main problem anywhere but in cities with nearly no surface water ……you don’t really have to say more do you?

Then comes skills without those even the best gear is useless. Without will to use them it is also useless.

After all is said and done ask how do i survive the guilt of making it, those who have been there know this is an issue too.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I know I’ve said this, but it bears repeating…

Once SHTF, I know that everyone isn’t going to turn into a psychopathic dick and run around starting fires and killing people…. but some will. They always do. They are here amongst us right now – they have always been there, in every society since humans first created civilization..

There are the sheep. There are those who hunt the sheep. And there are those who hunt the hunters.

I don’t entertain any fantasies about surviving what’s coming. If I had to lay odds on it, they would be steep odds. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to roll over and let the psychopaths take everything I’ve worked for and wipe out my family.

@ Leopard,

You are still thinking conventionally. You look at a map and see roads. You think “Oh, what would happen if they closed off the roads?” Don’t think like that. If you want to leave, then you do what you have to. Drive through people’s yards if you have to. Through the park or anywhere you can fit your vehicle. If you have to go on foot, think Over, Under or Around. They blocked the road? Use the sewer system. It should be big enough for an adult human to walk upright in and, if SHTF, then the water will be shut off. Meaning the sewers will be relatively clear. Ain’t gonna lie to you – it’s gonna stink something fierce and be nasty on top of that. But it is a way out. Go down to the local library and find the maps of the city water and sewer systems. They should be there, as they are a matter of public record. Have them make a copy for you and file those away with your street maps. Or, better yet, see if you can create an overlay out of plastic and combine the two.

If you have the cash, buy an old beater diesel vehicle and cache it outside the city, along with extra fuel, etc. It should be mechanically good, but look like a complete piece of crap. Don’t forget to disconnect the battery. Find someone who owns a bit of land with a barn or a storage shed on it. Pay them a rental fee and stash the vehicle there under a thick tarp. If TPTB try to block off the city, then walk out and make it to your vehicle. You don’t even need to license it or insure it… who’s going to care at that point? So long as it runs. Before storing it, I would remove one or two critical parts from the engine so that nobody will steal the vehicle when you’re not around. Carry these with you and install them when you get there.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Darth Lord Malgus the Vast :)
    In the larger cities in the US there are so many people ready to go nuts it will be pure hell. I can see the small city I live near across the valley. When the smoke starts to fill the sky I will know it’s time to saw down the trees for road blocks.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Best watch it… I can Force Choke you from here.. :)

You know anyone with a bulldozer or a backhoe? A tree can be chopped up in short order with a chainsaw. Even dragged to the side and gotten around. Even burned.

But if you dig up the road and make one gawd-awful hole, well then that should stop all vehicle traffic. Won’t stop foot traffic, though. I went through our little area, just driving around. I found dirt roads that were not on the county map and even one old road that paralleled the river that had been “closed” with a gate you’d find on a cow farm. Real vault of security. Rusty chain and an old padlock. 2 seconds with a pair of bolt cutters and that’s it. Found my way on to the river road from the other end, several miles away and there’s stuff down along that road I doubt anyone has seen or dealt with for generations… an old ferry landing made of stones from the river, the iron stairways folks used to use to board the ferry were all collapsed and rusty. Some pretty cool stuff.

All those roads will have to be shut down if we want to isolate ourselves come SHTF. The old river road, well, a cursory look around led me to believe that the hillside could be brought down to block the road. Other, more established roads would have to be blocked or dug up and tank traps made…

None of this would stop foot traffic, but it would stop vehicle traffic cold… folks get into those thick woods along the river, behind us, and they can get up to all sorts of mischief… not good.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ya Malgus I thought of how easy it is to pull them to the side. What I would like to do is dump 10 yrds or so of dirt on the road. I’m thinking if they are getting shot at while hooking up to the trees, it might discourage them some though. I know you can choke me through time and space, but I have a tin foil hat for protection.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

For about 4 years this place had “Trustee’s” from the 2 local prisons come out and work during the week. I did not have to work with them as there was a guard present. I did overhear a bunch! Now bear in mind these are the ones that can be “trusted” to not hurt someone or run away. Most of what I heard was them talking to each other about ways to “get over” on someone or how to make Meth.

This was several years ago and those folks that worked the “Trustee” teams have gone on to something else. When SHTF I figure the prisoners will just be left in their cells. No guard I know will let them out. The guards will be going home to take care of their families.

There will be people coming from the cities to here in the boonies. They will be the ones that bought land out here to use as BOLs. This area is farming and ranching. We are the top of Texas so anyone that comes here will either go back or will go to ground around here somewhere.
    Robin

Profile photo of Gentolman
    Gentolman
    Survivalist
    member2

I live in central West Virginia. There are many ways to block a road here and there is no going around the blocked road. The hill sides are too steep and take a lot of energy to get up. Anyone up on a hill has plenty of time to get away before anyone can get to them. I have climbed some hills while hunting that it took about 10 rest breaks to get up and that was without a backpack.

Also any decent rifleman can hit a man size target out past 500 yards and that is the distance between most hills. This is rough country but it also has a high percentage of people with outdoor skills. Almost any bow hunter could let you walk past them without you even seeing them. We often make a little cough sound to alert people passing by as to where we are. I look at the population density maps and I look at the high crime areas because that is where a lot of bad people are.

I think it will take a while for any city gangs to find their way here and I also think that it is hard to find people who do not want to be found. It is hard enough historically for a local sheriff to find someone who does not want to be found. FEMA and other gov agencies seem to be paying a lot of attention to this lovely state. This may be because of it being a potential place of resistance or it may be because of the vast areas of wilderness and isolation. They are doing things here that they do not want people to know about. If a person has skills and knowledge one big hillside/mountain side could feed a family for a year. I cultivate those skills but never want to use them.

My plan is for renewable food sources through gardening and fruit and nut orchard and bee keeping along with some chickens rabbits and goats. I learn every trick I can about preserving foods. My backup plans allow for a much less comfortable form of living but doable. With a population of just under 1.7 mil people in the whole state and the way the land is laid out with mostly small valleys you are only about a hundred yards away from being in the woods almost anywhere in WV.

The problem is that there is a scarcity of large flat land to grow wheat or corn or other grains. Flat land is at a premium here and acreage with very much of this land is very expensive. Water is never a problem as there are plenty of creeks and streams and rivers. Ya gotta take the good with the bad but on the whole it may not be a bad place if the SHTF.

Profile photo of higherview
    higherview
    Survivalist
    member2

Around here most everyone is somewhat prepared to take care of themselves – at least for a shot time. Also almost everyone is well armed and pretty polite. At least everyone knows someone who can help arm them even if they do not have guns (the minority). I see anger on the streets as people drive.

This can change into rage if not controlled and when anger gets out of hand things might be unpredictable. In a real SHTF scenario I think those who have anger issues will get weeded out pretty quickly. “Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame.” Benjamin Franklin. As SHTF is prolonged people will band together in networks built upon relationships and referrals – family and friends being the core and starting point. We already have networks of barter and sales goring on, these will be expanded I expect.

While crime most likely will increase I do not think violence will increase greatly long term as the violence will be put down vigilante style if it begins to be a pattern (historically this has happened). This is unless some of the scenarios actually occur with an armed and organized military (our own or one allowed in). In that case we will see a tightening of non-sanctioned trade and travel, and in time will see guerrilla warfare begin. It will take some time for this to take shape as people are not prepared or trained for this unless trained by one of our militaries, but it will occur.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In Brazil they need military police in the streets because of soccer games. Of course living conditions are near shtf for a lot of people in Brazil the way it is now.

Chaos in Brazil: On the Ground at the World Cup

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

higherview

I see anger on the streets as people drive.

There are lot of anger in people, I see that all the time, traffic is good place to notice state of the folks. Here it is connected mostly to the bad economic situation and feeling of hopelessness.
    Lot of that rage gonna erupt when SHTF. It is gonna be bad place to be when that happens.

In Brazil they need military police in the streets because of soccer games. Of course living conditions are near shtf for a lot of people in Brazil the way it is now.

It reminds me on situation months before SHTF, violence was first awaken on the sport events, football games. It was easier to fuel rage and hate there among mostly very young folks.
    It was something like testing before SHTF.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.