Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirlibird wrote:

undeRGRönd wrote:
    I’d imagine paintballing would be a fair approximation<br><br>
    to combat, w/o the potentially lethal hits…

In my experience it can be detrimental.

There’s a difference when the risks you take only put you out of this round of the game.

You take unnecessary and dangerous risks.

Good Points, Whirli… thx!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

I have to agree. I am in the gun business and can tell you that the fit of the gun in your hand matters more than anything else. I constantly try and convince people that the Glock’s are not good for them because of the larger size of there grips but I lose half of the time because they are convinced because there friend has one that they need a Glock. Brand name doesn’t matter and you should never be looking for “cool points” because of the brand you buy. Buy what fits your hand the best another thing to consider is recoil. I’ll take a 9mm with a 17 round mag any day over a 45 with a 7 round mag. With less recoil I can get back on target more quickly and a well placed shot from my 9 will do the job or as Selco stated about multiple shots If you can stop someone with two 45 round that’s 3 1\2 people with a 7 round mag and if it takes 3 shots from the 9 thats 5 2\3 people down with a 17 round mag. Just my 2 cents.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Xocjm, Good points on the 9mm. Also you are right about the way guns are made these days there are not many that are badly made so it is important for someone with a small hand to get a hand gun that fits there hand.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Your sidearm allows you the chance to get to your battle rifle. It doesn’t really matter what you’re using, so long as you have enough ammo for it and can hit with it…

I will say that I don’t prefer the 9mm, unless it’s out of a subgun or a carbine. Longer barrel = higher velocity.

According to Dr. Gary Roberts:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm

the best 9mm rounds to use are the following (NOT in order of performance)…

Caliber: 9mm Parabellum
    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

I’ve used Golden Sabers and the original Black Talons, as well as the standard hardball issue stuff. Given a choice, I would probably use Winchester’s Ranger T ammo, folowed by the Sabers, followed by hardball in +P. I don’t own a 9mm sidearm, but I do own a Suomi K31. With a 76 round drum mag as a reservoir, I’d probably load all three types….

Remember that this is specialized ammo, not the 115 grain hardball you find on sale down at Fail-Mart, so it’s gonna cost you more. I found some Ranger T ammo – the 127g +P+ stuff – over on Gunbroker. 5 boxes of 50 rounds each for about $250 bucks or so…. yeah, it’s pricey over there, but other sources like CTD and others don’t even list that ammo… and even if they do list it, it’s sold out…

I’d rather pay for it and have it than sit around waiting for a shipment to come in… maybe…. in order to save a buck and have nothing while I’m waiting…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Malgus wrote:</div>Your sidearm allows you the chance to get to your battle rifle. It doesn’t really matter what you’re using, so long as you have enough ammo for it and can hit with it…

I couldn’t agree more. I only use my sidearm when my battle rifle is out of service.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Strange, I use my sidearm because I can’t always carry my rifle.
    It tends to make shopping more interesting than I like.

And its lighter than carrying a cop around.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

LOL @Whirli

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

“lighter than a cop” :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>undeRGRönd wrote:</div>“lighter than a cop” :D

Considering what I used to do, it’s even more appropriate.

Profile photo of speakingtruth2you
    speakingtruth2you
    Survivalist
    member2

I appreciate what you, Selco, Jay and others are sharing. I haven’t been here for awhile and very much time to plug back in.
    I realize this post is older but the relevance is still valuable.
    I have a survival rifle I can assemble when needed and need to learn more about it as well as where to practice since I am choosing to not be licensed and tracked here in U.S. That makes where I practice a bit more thoughtful.
    I agree using what one is comfortable with is most important so I need to find out if this is going to be my choice or if I need to add one or two more that I am comfortable with.
    I am not sure how comfortable I am with shooting another person even though everything I’ve been taught so far is to shoot until the danger is eliminated. I need to work on this definitely.
    Thanks again for what everyone has shared.

speakingtruth2you

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.