Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Discussion about recent blog article.

Loyalty in your survival group.

What are your plans for your survival group?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,

I really like the topic and thought process you present to us. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well said Selco, thank you. When a bunch of different personailties are thrown together, even if they are family, without a shared goal and loyalty to the goal it’s hard to achieve anything. Thankfully my little family years ago, when so very poor, shared the goal of climbing out of our circumstances back to a better life. We all helped each other and worked together as a team. Wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

It’s also important to examine yourself well and know your own breaking point under stress. The mental, psychological point. (The physical is all too familiar!) Mine is constant contact with others – have to have my own space eventually/’alone’ time or I begin to unravel.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,

Your personal experiences will be hard in a SHTF. Many will lose there life’s because of no loyalty. I am alway thinking of this because of many things that have happen with snitches reporting on members of our family in Cuba which one member spent 28 years in jail for just talking about the government. The snitch was a friend which did it for extra food.

So in a SHTF it would be real bad. Thank you Selco

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Rule 1. NEVER give authority or power to ANYONE that WANTS it …….the best guy for the job is the one that doesnt want it .

Rule 2 .  NEVER trust anybody that wants authority or power .

Rule 3 . Find a way to get rid of anybody that wants power or authority .

Rule 4 . Always make every member responsible for something important on a daily basis . This gives the person something to do each day , and also makes them feel that their role is important to the group as a whole , which it is .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,  I like the four rules. This applies to everything in life.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good points Tolik, especially rule 4, when member of the group feels useless he simply could get some wrong ideas about his role.
    Every member have some kind of value.

Of course that inside group gonna be folks who can not give for example anything in terms of fighting, maybe some older lady, or ill man.
    But they can give something else in some other field for sure.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

To keep the loyalty will be very hard, especially to the members of the group without strong connections simply because temptations will be many.
    It is visible from the experience in totalitarian regimes where everything is set up that even small things (like extra food) simply means a lot, so temptation is big.

When SHTF, no matter how many people with good skills you have in group, if you do not have something that can “connect” you all together, then you are just bunch of folks, happen to be together by luck or chance. And that group will fall apart or even worse.

That connection can be blood or good friendship, but still there need to be lot of time spent together, to the group to be very good.
    Of course there s exceptions, so couple of guys who just meet each other can do very good in some chaotic situations, but it is rare, and if SHTF scenario last longer, there s more chance for falling apart.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Being truthful is, my opinion, a trait I strive for every day. Loyalty (trust) will not happen unless you are telling the truth. lying, in a group or marriage will corrupt anything it touches. Being practical I know that not everyone will tell everything. I always hold back on fully trusting someone until I have known that person for some time. In our group there are several new people but they have been supported for membership by people I would trust with my life.

So far our group has had to kick out two members. One could not keep his mouth shut and the other was a “Drama Queen” that only wanted to be like the “Preppers” on TV.

Sting
    Sting
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Selco/Tolik – Excellent points about groups and common goals in a SHTF scenario. The guys in my group I have known for years, and they have very useful skills, mindset, and I would trust them with my life and that of my family. And I know they feel the same way about me. none are macho types or braggarts, or blowhards who think they know it all. If there is a leader, I guess it is me, although I am a reluctant leader at best.

When I was a manager I really did not like it, as I had to fire people ( they deserved it ) but still felt bad. My role is more of delegator and co-ordinator. I have the most preps and the 80 acre retreat. But the core guys comprise a doctor, electrician, mechanic, and physical therapist. lots of useful skill sets and knowledge in a SHTF situation. Pressure doesn’t faze these guys, but of course until they, or me, face a Selco type gone to **** collapse, we won’t know for sure how we all hold up. But I am betting that we will do better than most.

Also, in terms of common bond, we are all Christians, so our faith will be something steadfast we can hold on to. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that ultimate test.

Sting

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

The concept of a common bond makes tremendous sense. As a real life example, Victor Frankel, a survivor a a Nazi concentration camp, wrote from first hand experience that those without a strong reason to live simply gave up and died, while those who had something strong enough that prevented them from giving up survived.

In our case, we may have different motivators though I would be willing to bet that a strong motivator for us all here in America is that we despise what the criminals in government are doing to our country. In addition, we also want our children and their children to be able to enjoy the freedom we have enjoyed for most of our lives. After all, why else are we here on this website and others if we are not deeply concerned about the future of America? For if America does collapse as many predict, we know it will be more painful than any of us can really know in advance, so would it not be enough motivation to band together with other Patriots to make an effort to survive so our values can be passed on to future generations?

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Survivalist
    member1

A question here. I really enjoy being on my own. 100% alone. Can’t even stand being with friends longer than a few hours – I crowl being alone again as “my battery level drops”. I.e. socializing exhausts me on every level.
    But you said survival alone is nearly impossible, so a group is important. Now. What’s up with that? I want to be alone, but I need a group (friends most likely). But I would feel bad in the group fairly quickly as I’m not alone… So it’s a catch 22.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Its called therapy , you might want to get help with that ,I understand very well about wanting to be alone , and in some cases prefer the company of animals over people …………but there is a level of it before its sociopathic , If its to the degree you describe , you sound like a sociopath , thats not good for you or anybody else . You might seriously look into treatment for that disorder while things in the nation are still normal and available , it has a root cause , that needs to be found . If you dont find internal balance , you will be really bad off or dead quickly in a long term SHTF . Just sayin .

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Ditto! But…………
    For me the alternative to being in a group after SHTF is better than being alone. I know that I will not be able physically to do everything myself. I look at it this way: On board my last ship myself and 107 others lived, ate and slept in the same amount of space, approx. 1,000 square feet, that I have now. So already I am ahead!
    Robin

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Survivalist
    member1

@Tolik: We don’t say sociopath from 1968 (no offense :). On the other hand, I am a (diagnosed) psychopath, so bull’s eye – but I need no “therapy”, I am happy as I am. Thank you anyways for sharing your point ;)

@Robin: For me…. I don’t know… Depends on if possible to make it alone or not :)

The question still persists. Selco, maybe? Have you ever met anyone who was all alone in SHTF and survived?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.