Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Making decisions is important when SHTF, but making decisions under the pressure can be something dangerous if you are not aware what is going on.

What do you think your reactions and decisions would look like under the pressure?

Decision Making in Survival Situations

Profile photo of ehanzo_1
    ehanzo_1
    Survivalist
    member1

Learning how to make decisions under pressure is really hard to learn and hard to simulate. I think some people can natuarlly, and some people have to be exposed to it in a safe way over and over again and most are just sheepand can’t and think they can, which is dangerous. Like you said doing nothing is worse than doing something, and doing something irrationally is worse than both.

The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.”
    ― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Decisions under pressure are not easy. Some will not know how well they will do till a SHTF time were they are under all types of pressure. They may do good under some pressure and bad with other types of pressure.

Someone that you know dieing in front of you is one type of pressure and another type is finding food or water for your family. Another is being shot at and can you keep cool so you can shoot back. There are so many types of pressures that can happen in a SHTF times.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Fatigue is a big problem and it will come.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

We may have all been created equal, none a ‘better’ person than another – but I think everyone excels when working within a specific framework. As in nature. There are worker bees, drones etc. Some are born to lead, some to follow. This is why in a survival situation, as Selco has encouraged, it is best to be a part of a group where you inevitably will have people who fall to their natural inclinations – and hopefully one of those is a leader, or a ‘lieutenant’ sort who is able to process a lot of clues and information bits, see a picture, analyze and form a plan of action quickly. Not everyone has that ability in their makeup.

Individuals that have gone through many trials in life and are still standing are those that I have always find I am drawn to. They have been dirt poor. They have had money. Etc. They are still standing…and positive…and thriving. They are up to a challenge. These are people that can keep their sh*t together under pressure because it is nothing new to them. And, a lot of that pressure also comes from within themselves because they demand a certain level of excellence and achievement – from themselves. And, I don’t mean the world’s idea of excellence/achievement as measured in ‘things’ and cash in the bank. They have learned and lived through enough to have it become ingrained -that to confront reality and act accordingly is always preferred to delusion and inaction. Rolling stones gather no moss theory.

It’s a good exercise to have with yourself now. Realistically examining who you are, how you have reacted and why to the past ‘emergencies’ and ‘pressures’ of your life….which of course no doubt will be minor to those encountered SHTF. If you honestly realize you don’t handle pressure in general, well, this should bump forming or seeking to become part of a group to the top of your list. And, if you don’t handle pressure well….don’t beat yourself up about it and criticize yourself. You have other strengths that are just as valuable to a group.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It will help to work out as many details of things gone bad scenarios now and make those hard decisions before hand. Then be ready for the plan do go bad and have alternative plans. You might not have a plan for every situation, but you can try.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 you are right on that. Plans are important to think out. Also remember the problem with not being able to sleep which will be part of the fatigue and being able to think right.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Fatigue is one more reason why it make sense to be with group of close people when SHTF and not to be alone.
    People not think too much about that, about need to sleep, sometimes you just need to take rest.
    And if you are alone it is problem.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The effects of fatigue on decision making can be an issue for me at least. I may move on things too quickly just to be done with it. Otherwise I stay extremely calm in emergencies, quickly accept whatever has happened as reality, and start moving about doing what needs to be done. I don’t allow myself to become a deer caught in the headlights. Many years ago I stayed over at my parent’s home one night, about 4 hours from my home. I was tending an elderly relative of my wife’s who was dying about 2 hours further on from there. Within a mile of their house as I headed out a kid who had gotten his license 3 days earlier came roaring out of a convenience store parking lot and hit me hard enough to push my brand new full sized station wagon sideways across the road. Neither of us were hurt but I still had a serious situation to tend with the dying Great Aunt two hours away. This was a largely Italian neighborhood and in the few minutes it took for the police to arrive, the kid ran around the parking lot a couple times screaming “My Dad is going to kill me”, then ran home, and all of the female relatives of the clan show up and start their wailing. The kid is now miraculously hurt and needs an ambulance, despite all the running he just did,and the mother, aunts, sisters, cousins are all screaming at me “Why did I do this to Tony” despite the clear physical evidence that he broadsided me at a high rate of speed. The police are taking statements and won’t let the ambulance leave until they’re done with the kid which has the ladies really wailing up a storm, and I quietly go up to the cop and tell him that the kid isn’t hurt, that he ran around the parking lot, then went home to get his mother before the police arrived. My father happens to drive by, sees me and my car and stops. I tell the police my just about totaled car can be towed to the local garage, my father takes me back to his house, and I set about looking for a rental before everything closes in about an hour, get the rental, make it in time before the Great Aunt dies, then proceed to make the funeral arrangements, silence her greedy nieces who were seeing $ signs before the funeral is even over, clean out her apartment, and head home again in my rental. On the day of the accident my father told my mother afterwards that he was worried something was wrong with me because I was so calm.in all that chaos. I don’t try to be calm. I just am.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB funny story! Being calm and having the presence to think clearly is a blessing, the opposite is a curse and I have been around that as well. Understanding every available option and having choices leads to making better decisions. Giving yourself options allows you to the opportunity to make a decision. When you are out of options and choices there are no decisions to be made.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, great story. Kids oh my God my son is 14 two more years of sleep and then it is over for me. My son is a good boy but the boys always get them self’s in some trouble. So I am glade you are calm. About three years ago I got hit in the back of my car by a 18 year old girl and she was so crazy about getting a ticket and what will happen to her insurance. I told her that she needs to take it to court and that I will not go but that the police officer may go but if he doesn’t it gets thrown out. That made her happy and calmed her down some. Young kids from 15 to 21 really have a problem if they have an accident.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

My kid is more calm than I am but then she’s a business senior in college and if that kind of pressure doesn’t get to her, she can handle most anything. As to what causes the most pressure it is definitely family siblings and their problems. Once we got them out of our lives our stress level went down dramatically. There is no question about it. We won’t be having any extended family in a future survival scenario. Our resouces and choices will be our own and if they don’t like it they’ll be looking at the muzzle end of my 12 ga. Its bad enough having to deal with everyday crazies (like Verizon employees bundling our phone plans without telling us) but when they know you and have studied you its 100 times worse. We used to give our daughter psychology books on psychopaths (Snakes In Suits, and Almost a Psychopath, Harry Potter/ Voldemort) so she could understand “the family” better. Its certainly a mess in the world today and Selco has some of the best survival advice out there.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Emotions get in the way of making the right decisions way too often. I think it is pretty much essential to be at least aware in what emotional state you are before making decisions whenever you are in a survival situation.

So many people focus on all the gear and preps and forget the mental side of becoming more resilient. I think this is something that is cheap to train by simply being aware of how you react to problems and how you function under stress.

If you analyse this and understand yourself and when you tend to make the wrong decisions or what kind of decisions you tend to make in high pressure situations you have a big advantage compared to someone operating on autopilot.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Honesty and responsibility are the hardest to learn. Be honest with yourself and take responsibility for your mistakes and you will be well on your way to making good decisions under stress. Excuses cloud your judgment. A good way to start teaching yourself is to make a list or schedule for yourself each day. Set time frames for each item. As you complete them mark them off. At the end of the day look at what all you accomplished. Where you on time? Did you get everything done on the list? If you missed any times or items figure out why. By doing this exercise you can learn to be honest with yourself and responsible and it helps you identify problems as well as solutions. You begin to learn what you are realistically capable of in a give time frame and how to problem solve as well as prioritize. As you get better add more items or give yourself less time to do them. It will produce a little stress but it will begin to at least train your mind. It may not be levels experienced in SHTF but if you are lacking in this area it is at least a place to start.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Matt I about choked on my diet coke! Thanks for making me laugh at myself this morning!

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>Did you get everything done on the list?

I came to realize one thing about myself long ago. I make the list of what I am going to accomplish in a given day, then I think ‘be reasonable now’, then scratch a few things off it’s grand length……..and then as the day goes on fight myself when I find myself getting annoyed when someone stops by to chat or borrow something….and I am put off my schedule! Have come a long way however and can be a little more relaxed about all the interruptions. But I still do seem to make unrealistic lists despite my best efforts!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.