Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Being prepared to just walk away as several have noted makes sense for the reasonably fit and healthy, but if your plan includes anyone who isn’t then best you come to terms” Mt Biker

I completely agree. Right now that person is me, if I walked a 1/2 mile I’d be done for the day. Got a bumb wheel that needs fixing. I don’t plan on a last man standing scenario either though. I’ll make sure everyone here BO’s to safety.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Concerning abandoned properties, it wouldn’t matter in a SHTF scenario where we’re not going back to the way the world used to operate, but in current times, a potentially bigger issue than liens would be environmental hazards. That liability can be much greater than the value of the property, hence why it was abandoned. My son recently looked at a 50 acre property and we saw an old car that had been pushed down a steep embankment and came to rest next to a small river. Next to the car was an old oil tank that had been similarly disposed of. If either were leaking, that property would be worthless. It is headed to foreclosure and in those cases, there isn’t much of any due diligence for the buyers.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, we all need to be realistic whether it is ourselves that are the weak link or someone in our group. Best to think about such things now rather than when under duress. A better Plan B, C, or D may result.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Concerning abandoned properties, it wouldn’t matter in a SHTF scenario where we’re not going back to the way the world used to operate, but in current times, a potentially bigger issue than liens would be environmental hazards. That liability can be much greater than the value of the property, hence why it was abandoned. My son recently looked at a 50 acre property and we saw an old car that had been pushed down a steep embankment and came to rest next to a small river. Next to the car was an old oil tank that had been similarly disposed of. If either were leaking, that property would be worthless. It is headed to foreclosure and in those cases, there isn’t much of any due diligence for the buyers.

Worthless? Not to the scrappers I know.
    Things like that just vanish for scrap weight.
    Most places the eco freaks haven’t taken over, that’s just the back 40.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

British people wont bug out, with nowhere to go would you become a REFUGEE? no neither would I. the only reason to bug out is if our property is uninhabitable by fire, flood or its just not safe to live there anymore.

British Survivalist.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

That is always the problem.
    Where to go.

Sherwood Forest could support a few, but just a few.

Here in the States, everyone is headed for the hills, the problem? There ain’t that much hills today. And few people who could actually make a life there.

In a few respects I still regret not moving to Iowa when we moved here.
    There the possibility of eating well in hard times ware much better, much better indeed.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

Sherwood Forest isn’t as big as it used to be. many folk here haven’t a clue how to live off the land when all there food comes from the supermarket.

British Survivalist.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey lone,

You wouldn’t high tail it somewhere else?

We have standing instructions – issued by me – that in the event of a SHTF event, certain family members are to board the next flight to Europe and then make their way to a certain country – provided a flight is available and that safe passage to their final destination is still possible.

Of course, I face blowback from those family members. They want to stay and stand by me. And that is courageous and admirable, but their mission is to survive no matter what, not to make a stand. That means improving their odds.

And when the dominoes fall, the US will probably end up being a bloodbath, only the degree of the bloodbath being uncertain. The destination of those family members will be orders of magnitude safer. Life will very likely be more difficult, even with dual nationality and being bilingual, but it will be safer. (caveat: safer from human predation).

It’s the best solution I can come up with in a very messy situation… England is a heavily populated island. You’ve never given thought to making a Plan B and making a run for it?

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

England is only heavily populated around the cities, fairly obvious when that’s where 85% of the people live but its not all like that, there are some places that are very remote like here in the westcountry. no I wouldn’t relocate out of the country, not even out of my county but we already have plans to bug out to a more remote area if this place became unsafe.

British Survivalist.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, if you have a safer place to send them, then that is the thing to do. At the same time you need to be ready for them to stay. Any event serious enough to warrant sending them away has a pretty good chance of disrupting the ability to travel. Something to remember about the US is that the culture varies greatly by region. As well the demographics vary as do all of the other key variables that affect what local conditions would be like in a collapse. A piece of it too is what culture you can personally best function in. This are matters I thought about in making my choice of where to live.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.