Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Common mistakes while bugging out

Please share your thoughts about article here.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Succinct and to the point. Not much of value that I can add, save the old sayings “Three is two, two is one, one is none” and “No plan has ever survived reality intact”. Which is just really repeating what you’re saying, Selco.

Have a plan. And an alternative. And an alternative to that one.

Don’t carry all your stuff with you. Stash stuff along your route in case you lose something, something breaks or you get robbed. Even if you end up with a few more people than you were planning on and they need stuff. Have stuff stashed at your bugout location – basically duplicates of everything you’re wanting to carry to the bugout location. Nothing wrong with duplication.

Risk minimization: Don’t do dumb sh*t like driving on primary roads with no secondary or tertiary roads mapped out. If something doesn’t look right, then it’s not. Don’t carry “designer” stuff in loud primary colors. I would even go so far as to try and look as homeless as possible. “Hobo approved” type of gear – the more raggedy-assed, the better. If you look like a hobo, nobody will think you have anything worth taking…

Like you say, Selco – clear thinking is worth much more than what fancy gear you have. The ability to stay cool under pressure and make thoughtful decisions will pay larger, and more, dividends than how many go fast doo-dads you have screwed to your AR15.

All in all, a good post.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Very good points, thanks Malgus!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,
    I like your philosophy of being mentally prepared to walk out with your pistol and a plastic bag. In that regard there is one item I would suggest everyone have with them, a Lifestraw of some type.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I now live at my BOL B. BOL A was also where I lived full time. Having moved thus A became B and so on. Before I moved some of my preps became hidden preps.
    My plan for SHTF is flexible. My method of getting around is now the different creeks and the river. If needed I can go to BOL C which is across the river in Oklahoma.
    I am not fixed on doing things in a certain way. If needed I will skip parts and keep getting up.
    For many years I lived out of my sea bag. If SHTF now I would just throw on some clothes, shoes and go.
    Stuff is stuff as George Carlin said.
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Another part of thinking through your plans is who exactly the plans include. Being prepared to just walk away as several have noted makes sense for the reasonably fit and healthy, but if your plan includes anyone who isn’t then best you come to terms with that now and get realistic about what your options for Plans B, C, and D are. Better to come to terms with some hard choices now than when under duress.

Profile photo of CCHGN
    CCHGN
    Veteran
    member1

IMO, in America, BO is different than other Countries. I am against BO, as for one, you need a place to Bug Out to. Then you need the way to Bug Out to Most folks do NOT have a place to Bug Out to, nor the means. 99% of the time. a SHTF in America is a natural event, that will knock out utilities for a period of time,like a hurricane, blizzard or tornado. This past Winter, a blizzard hit the North Right now it’s tornadoes wiping out homes. THAT is a SHTF. I know that in a hurricane. you can NOT BO. it is physically impossible to go anywhere. Trees are down, live power lines are down, flooding, etc. In America BHO is driving to a hotel, for a few days.

Survival is the ability to make ALL the RIGHT decisions, ALL the time

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

CCHGN, you are correct that many don’t have any place to go or the means to get there, but many do. In the small town I used to live in and in the even smaller town I currently live in, most of the children of the Baby Boomers have left for the cities. That has happened throughout small town and rural America an dis why such places are depopulating. Come SHTF, those young people do have someplace to go, and they will attempt to get there. Here in Vermont approx. 1 in every 7 properties is a vacation property or 2nd home, mostly owned by people from Metro NYC/NJ/CT. There are huge #’s of such properties in other States as well. Come SHTF, those folks will also realize that they have someplace to go, and will attempt to get there. The reality though is that a major chunk of these folks won’t be able to make it to their properties either because they waited too long in an unfolding scenario or the event came on suddenly (cyber attack taking down the grid for example.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

There are national parks, forests, grasslands etc etc in almost every state. Going camping in these areas is mostly encouraged. While there what keeps you from stashing some goodies. Take the GPS, take photos of yourself (family) at the campgrounds. Use the photos as guides to get back to that location.
    EMP attacks may or may not knock out GPS but those photos will never go out of date.
    Bury ammo, fruit and nuts, fire starters, gallon of water, gallon of gas etc etc.
    The best answers to a problem are the easiest.
    Robin

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Robin is a right, those who choose to plan ahead can have options such as she suggests. Few plan ahead however.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m guessing that public parks, campgrounds and all such places will be heavily populated by refugees. Especially locations near natural bodies of water. Firewood and animal life will rapidly dwindle and sanitation problems will increase conversely. I think using the camping trip/vacation to test your route is a fantastic idea, but I would stash my stuff in places other than near public areas.

My idea for a good cashe is somewhere easy to access yet very few people frequent. Places like behind an out of business gas station, restaurant or any other type of vacant business building that stands alone. Any property posted with No Trespassing I would just pass up. Criminal Tresspass fines can be steep.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MB I saw someone with their truck outfitted with a Rokon in a bumper carrier. If the roads are blocked by accidents it looked like he had prepped a viable alternative to foot travel. I know the rural area here well enough that in a breakdown I could make it at least 25 miles using back roads. County highway maps really help. Seasonal roads are mostly dirt farm roads. If you’re already in a small village your BO or Bug-in has been simplified at least 90%.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’m guessing that public parks, campgrounds and all such places will be heavily populated by refugees. Especially locations near natural bodies of water. Firewood and animal life will rapidly dwindle and sanitation problems will increase conversely. I think using the camping trip/vacation to test your route is a fantastic idea, but I would stash my stuff in places other than near public areas.

My idea for a good cashe is somewhere easy to access yet very few people frequent. Places like behind an out of business gas station, restaurant or any other type of vacant business building that stands alone. Any property posted with No Trespassing I would just pass up. Criminal Tresspass fines can be steep.
    </block quote>

Look for abandoned property and put up your own Posted signs. Put in a LLC as the owner. There are thousands of unwanted parcels so small they don’t even get sold at public auction. Adverse possession. Far as I know someone has to make a complaint for it to be criminal trespass. If for instance you said you were acquiring the land from a former owner and he’s deceased or can’t be found there can be no legal complaint. Paying the back taxes in some instances can get you in the door. Some property I see a for sale on it one day and a sold the next. I rarely ever look twice. lol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Make sure your not buying someone else’s leans though. A lot of abandoned properties have back taxes and other obligations too.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Make sure your not buying someone else’s leans though. A lot of abandoned properties have back taxes and other obligations too.

Yeah people try to hide those things.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.