Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t think there really Is any question, a rural BOL is best. You might still need to run some times though.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

CHEERS From Local 725!!!

If you have worked here, we may have met ;)
    I worked with Mustang Charlie 2-3 times, and Big Jim Burgen (spelling?) twice.
    I’m almost certain you know one or both of them???

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks Selco! Due to the encouragement I got from SHTF, I was able to talk to my Dad today, and h agreed that it may be beneficial to have a plan “just in case” even though he thought it may not be necessary to bug out. I told him to think about circumstances under which we would want to leave, for future discussion. It was a good talk!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good start underGRound.
    You can work on lot of things from that points, most important thing is to include them in everything, of course slowly.
    Biggest obstacle is usually that first “not wanting to believe-not want to talk” point, after that it is gonna be easier.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Dad believes the country is going downhill.
    But he puts most of that on Obama LOL! Obama is just the “presiding figurehead in charge” of the collapse, however…
    It would be a million times harder to convince Dad of the coming collapse if Romney was in there right now! But it would still happen, IMO.

Selco, you are a GODSEND! I really like this website and your experiences. I will try and join when I get back to work, and scrape up the funds. But you and Jay do a fine job of helping the folks like myself also! VERY HAPPY with SHTF School!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of painted pony
    painted pony
    Survivalist
    member1

Knowing when to Bug Out can be as important as choosing to bug out..We are a small group of like minded people Who’s Preppers motto is:your lack of preparation on your part dose not necessitate an Emergency on our part..

We also strive to plan our bug out to be as close to as normal conditions as we live now!!! We have a Converted cargo trailer that hauls all our preps and food for 6 mo. In a indiscreet carrier.. To a remote location with solar providing some of the perks we have been accustom to.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks UndeRGround, doing my best :)

Painted pony, of course, first (and really tough) is about are you gonna bag out at all. It should be decision based on logic, but it is hard simply because people are mostly too connected to their belongings and what they leave behind.

Most of the mistakes are made there, when folks value their stuff more then their lives and lives of their family.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Always a pleasure to hear from you, Selco!

@painted pony

Excellent Plan!
    I am formulating a similar setup for myself, even though we are primarily “bugging IN”.
    Always having a plan B or C is a good idea, however.

I’ve been absent lately, seems my little brother is going to miss the SHTF.
    He will not be present in this form much longer, but I’m sure what is coming
    is not going to be missed by him! He would rather be here for his family, as
    he has a young wife and 2 teenage kids. I hope they can adjust.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

UndeRGround, so sorry to hear about your Brother. Sounds like you both have a strong faith that will definitely serve you well. I will pray for his family that with your help they may survive the coming storm.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Pinhead
    Pinhead
    Prepper
    member2

I’m in a situation where I can look out my front window and see the steam rising from the nuclear power plant less than a mile away. If SHTF, my family and I are gone. Depending on the situation, the threat can be immediate, or it can be short term, but it’ll doubtfully be long term.

One scenario is a terror or war threat. Whether someone blows it up or flies a plane into it, it’s going to be an immediate problem. Another scenario is financial collapse. There’s no way I’m going to sit around and wait for the workers to flee, leaving the power plant to rot into a radioactive puddle. The workers have families to go home to, and it’s a good possibility that most of them will run. Also note that power plants can be affected by grid-down situations. The cooling pools for stored radioactive waste only have enough fuel to stay active for about a week with generators. Once the cooling pools at a storage facility go dormant, the water will boil off, exposing the spent fuel rods to the open air. Needless to say, you don’t want to be inhaling that ****.

Basically, I have no other option than to run when it comes to the bug-in/out debate. I have to make sure everything we are taking can A) fit in a vehicle and B) be ready to go in a moment’s notice. It is obvious that I chose a poor spot to raise a family. I can have all the guns and food in the world, but I cannot shoot my way out of radiation. The most important thing is running. Everything else is second. We’ll grab what we can, but standing around contemplating which gear is most important will certainly not be an option. Everything we have is not ready to grab-and-go, but we’re working on it.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pinhead,
    You definitely have a few problems to solve, (not that we all don’t in some manner or other). I hope you have been working on the your escape routes/plans as well. Do you have a bug-out location?

Pinhead
    Pinhead
    Prepper
    member2

I have a location in mind, but if there’s an issue with the exact location, the general area around it is easy to disappear into. As for routes, I’ve been looking at every route that the state hasn’t deemed an evac route. Mainly because those routes will be the heaviest traffic. Also if they are designated routes they will be crawling with military and law enforcement. After what happened in hurricane Katrina, I’m definitely avoiding anyone who will attempt to disarm or question us. Getting out is the key.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Jump on Google Earth and view things from the air. Many times the best route is hidden from the street view.
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pin or head but not both,
    Just so you know, pretty much everyone in the USA has the same senerio as you explained. There is a map one one of the nuke threads that shows where each plant is and the theoretical dispersal of contamination. No one is safe.

Freedom found these maps:

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/search/reactor+map/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Pinhead, difficult as your situation is, at least you are aware. Most folks near nuke plants basically assume that there will never be a problem, or that if there is one that they’ll be given plenty of notice to leave. I was floored when I saw my daughter and her family bought a house 9 miles from a double nuke plant, with them living on a crowded peninsula to boot. I gave them a Nuk Alert and advised them to not to accept any kind of “we’ve got it under control” nonsense from the authorities but rather to get out of there at the first hint of a problem. Then in a recent visit I saw my son-in-law was driving around with his gas tank on E, not for lack of money but rather just not getting around to it. Most folks just don’t get even rudimentary preparedness, let alone the big picture for things like nukes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.