Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

In last article about bugging out I share my failures and lessons learned.

It is helpful to have clear line or limit and in case this line is crossed you get into action and start bugging out. How do you prepare for that and what are your signals it is time to bug out or bug in but get into “survival mode”?

m1super90
    m1super90
    Survivalist
    member1

I’m with you. I’m old enough to value a boring peaceful life. I have nothing to do when I come home, and I’m almost done making my job this way. :) If I want a challenge (aka a “hassle”) I have a car in my garage which needs engine work.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

The one thing that controlled people in Somalia was food. NGOs (Non-government Organizations) set up operations in Mogadishu itself. Of course then the Warlords took over the city. We (UN operation called United Shield) came in and took over part of the city where the airport and harbor where located.
    There was never a string of events that would tell anyone what was happening. One day the warlords ran everything and the next day it was the UN and the warlords.
    The people of Somalia really had no choice. Everyone went to where they could find food. Famine had the entire country for almost 3 years prior to NGOs coming in with food in the early 1990s. Then in 1995 the UN came back to pick-up their equipment and people. We also gave rides to any NGO that had people ready to leave.
    The next US Presidential election in 2016 may be about food not politics. Texas has been in various stages of drought since 2004. The “Corn Belt” not as long but still drier than normal.
    The water in the pot holding the frog is getting hotter.

Robin

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

SELCO, and Friends, I need lots of help in this area. I have a relatively small family group, Elderly parents (~70 y.o.) and wife, (my age) and one son, my daughter will be married soon and I expect even if SHTF tomorrow, she would go with her fiance. Son lives here for now, he’s a great team member and my co-leader. I told him he is the leader if we have conflict, and I am basically the resources leader.

The plan for now is to BUG-IN. But I really need guidance on leaving, or bugging out. Basically the timing, according to your article, that is what I need to figure out for our group. Dad could likely do OK in a flight situation, but mom is in worse health, but as far as I know, she could still bug out. The deal is they will want to STAY. We have pretty much everything we need to bug IN. We may be OK here, it is a suburban area outside of a small town of 40-50 thousand people and we have a decent Sheriff’s Office, pro 2A and all that.

I’d join the school but funds are not available at the time, I lost my job (thanks federal govt!) and it is just not possible…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

If I want a challenge (aka a “hassle”) I have a car in my garage which needs engine work.

Nice attitude m1super90, unfortunately many folks look for trouble actually, and want to be part of it. Sometimes unintentionally and because lack of knowledge or experience, but results can be devastating.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

UndeRGround, Older folks almost always want to stay, very rare to bug out. I have seen that many times in my time, reasons were many, but they are always more “attached” to the property and way of living, it is hard for them to change everything and “go to uncertainty, when everything will be OK”.

Good suggestion is to convince them that they need to leave because they need to help you, or other family members, that they need to be with you. They need to have some sense in whole situation.

You are at the right place if you want to learn something new, lot of ideas are on forums here, I am learning too. Just ask.

Personally I would not like to be in suburban areas when SHTF, but nobody knows for sure, and it is definitely depends from SHTF scenario.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Underground,
    Suburban homes and neighborhood layouts are set up for extreme failure. It would be rare that a house had a defensible situation.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Selco: thank you very much!
    I will stick around and LEARN! I have a great help in another online friend, and I know he admires your work.
    He has written a prepping manual, very good stuff. He did recommend SHTF school :D

@1974

I said “sub-urban” but that is a bit misleading. Behind our house??? Farm Fields. Empty. Another direction, there is a small trailer and a huge metal building, an unoccupied machine shop. (strange place for that, but it was there before zoning). The houses are like 150 to 200 feet apart. Not ideal, but not exactly a subdivision, either.
    This area is 3 to 4 acre lots, and I am at least 100 yards off the main road. That being said, I have other factors to consider. Close proximity (1.5 miles) to a puddle-jumper airport. Could be problematic. IDK…

I guess listing these things will give me ammo with which to get the parents motivated ;)
    Please give me more!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

We live in a small house on a small lot on the edge of a city (20K residents + 20K univ students.) Creek and farmland about two blocks to the south. It is a miracle we have a place to live due to losing everything from medical disasters. The neighborhood is mostly poor and not interested in anything more than a govt check, their beer, cigarettes and TV.

We can’t bug out due to my husband’s disabilities. Well, maybe. Have a travel trailer ready to go, but where? We have no family closer than 1200 miles away. Two friends about five miles away that might take us and our gear in…IF we can convince them that things are as bad as we think.

Very little money. Quite a bit of equipt and skills, but no one believes it in my husband’s case. He is extremely good at security/defensive tactics having done that for years with a high-risk security company (bodyguarding/asset protection etc with teams under him.) And a reloader/shooter, hunter etc. I know a lot about wild plant foraging, gardening (learning this area’s fine points), hunting, lots of experience butchering wild game and domestic animals. Other knowledge of how things were done in the old days, non-electric. But most people look at us and think we are useless old greyheads. He’s 64, I’m a very active 71.

Our mindset is that we just have to deal with what happens, and go down with an honor guard. Sometimes I read of everyone’s preps and BOLs and get discouraged. I guess we all die sooner or later. Preferably later… My husband wants me to escape/bug out while he covers me (in case of a mob attack etc), so I can help others with my knowledge. Can I live with that? Deserting him, in my mind?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Underground,
    I assume you have read all/every post by selco, good place to start. Read “Failure of Civility” It’s not a bible but the authors get a lot right and the book will get you thinking the right way. Another good book is “Survival Mom”.

Concider the construction of your home and whether the materials can stop a projectile. Basements are death traps unless you alter the exits for escape. Be realistic, can you escape from this house with all of your troop in an emergency?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Underground,

I’m not an expert. Just a man. But if you’ve got a small group, you’re gonna need more bodies. You need to hook up with other likeminded folks and form a good sized group.

Don’t wait around for someone to do something. Act. Be the catalyst. If anything, grab a map, draw a line around the area you want to hold, and then find a meeting place. Most churches will let you rent out their hall for a small donation. Print up a bunch of fliers welcoming folks in your zone to a meeting to discuss the things most important to you – food, water, mutual support, mutual protection and go around and stick them fliers in their mailboxes. Some will opt out, and that’s okay. Most probably won’t if you approach it correctly. Even turn it into a social – bring a portable grill and put on some good eats, couple cases of beer on ice to relax folks, with soda’s for the kids…

Let folks talk about what’s bothering them the most. You don’t need to go and drop the doomsday scenario on them – that will just scare the hell out of everyone… let them work it out on their own, in their own time. When you got a consensus, make a plan and stick to it.

Might want to invite some of them farmers behind you… at the very least, they got your back and at the most, they represent a potential source of food… plus, they’re probably needing someone to tribe up with as well…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank You, 74 and MalGus. Much good food for thought.
    Perhaps the best “Bug In” plan is to reach out, as mentioned. We have a Deputy Sheriff 4 houses down, IMO he would be the best to approach first and get on board? I’m pretty sure the county has a “disaster plan” as the state live in has
    passed the Silver/Gold legal tender act, (one of many states) and our State Sheriff’s Association has joined CSPOA
    (more info @ CSPOA.org) but I am not going to be reliant on ANY government agency at all, I am just mentioning this
    as I believe it may give insight to the way the deputy thinks.

74, I hear you about the basement! One of Selco’s first encounters was where his neighbor retreated to the basement,
    and they smoked him out some way and killed him. Don’t get yourself cornered, always leave an escape route. I have
    “protection” covered, one of Selco’s best pieces of advice, reiterated my own way is that your top ten preps list should
    be 1-7 Guns and Ammo, then Water, Food, Fuel… Pretty much got that covered completely. ;)

This will be the start of a long process, I will start “conditioning” dad and mom for a possible bug-out and
    by the time it is getting close, they will prolly be saying “Isn’t it about time to BUG OUT?”

Thanks so much , hope to get to know you all much Better!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    cdurbmx
    cdurbmx
    Prepper
    member1

UNDERGROUND

Like your avatar. I’m retired IBEW local 369.
    The book I’m reading by Frenando Aguirre SURVIVING THE ECONOMIC COLLAPSE
    is very interesting. He went through a SHTF thing in Argentina and living out in the farm lands is not the right thing to do.
    I’ve been prepping for 8 years, live in SW Florid and over 1000 miles to Eastern Kentucky but out farm. Wouldn’t make it that far. We can just do the best we can.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

This will be the start of a long process, I will start “conditioning” dad and mom for a possible bug-out and
    by the time it is getting close, they will prolly be saying “Isn’t it about time to BUG OUT?”

Thanks so much , hope to get to know you all much Better!

It is best if can be long process because it need time to get everything in line, just remember to give them some role in everything. Everyone have some value.

About rural vs urban, I am simply talking from the point of my experience, and my thinking how it is gonna be again. Remember that I too survived in urban area, in very dense populated area actually. So it is possible of course.

But it is simply thing about too many people and not enough resources.
    And it depends of what kind of SHTF we are talking, full scale or something different.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

cdurbmx,

You a fellow Kentuckian? I’m not that far from Pikeville. We live in the Piedmont, not the mountains proper. Better and more arable land. The mountains are more easily defended, but the food supplies – especially wild game – are not as plentiful as here in the Piedmont. Still, we’re only a stone’s throw away.

You trying to make it from SW Florida to the Bluegrass without using major arteries will be a challenge. Only so many ways you can go in Florida… things open up once you hit Georgia or Alabama, but then your choices limit themselves once you hit Tennessee – only so many roads through those mountains if you want to stay away from the major metro areas. Stay off of I-75. I wouldn’t even use old US 27. Everyone who ditches off of 75 knows about 27, so that will be just as bad, I think… might want to get a couple really humungous maps and try to plan a route that uses tertiary roads, logging roads, etc… stuff hardly anyone knows about. I wouldn’t go near Jellico either.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.