Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

While Whirl and Novus advice to pat joe seems reasonable it is flawed.. so you get the one brother in jail you think the other and mom not gonna take it personally? best advice move from there not worth the fight that will come.  Selcos comes second best if you have to then do but, you time it wrong  you will be spending on a lawyer. best advice is to  move away.

Think even after then you have undesirable coming around looking for drugs so   you will be in high theft area always and 4-5 days into a SHTF you will have  people out of their minds  coming around looking  about someone who might have what they need not knowing which house since their regular dealer is out …knock knock.

If you have to stay  you better bunker down and have everything locked tight as hell your garden will not be a place you can use since  junkies always looking for a quick score to steal anything that has value and damage  rest while taking  something of little value. dependent on what  kind of drugs you will also get  drug paraphernalia that is broken or discarded in your yard…HIV Needle? Hepatitis crack pipe glass anyone?

now saying that  one way you can get rid of them is do they rent? if so you can log enough  complaints with neighbors on your side it becomes a troubled property….this puts pressure on the  owner to evict the tenant and police will cruise by, but if something goes wrong before you can get rid of them expect  large collateral damage.  think burned out house. and yes  junkies will torch a place for enough drugs about $20 dollars worth.

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

A chronically drunk, single mother with drug-dealing children is likely a renter. Go to your county tax assessor’s website, find the property search link and plug in the address of the home. Most likely, your neighbors are renters. Send a registered letter to the owner of the property, whose address will be on the assessor’s website, outlining your problem and threatening to sue for damages, since the owner, ultimately, is responsible for what happens on and from his property.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Great low-cost ideas. Thanks very much to all who responded.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Survivalist Hate – How do you define this phrase? Did you experience this?

Robin

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco – you are being ripped off/quoted by a bunch of web sites. Just for the heck of it I went to DuckDuckGo and plugged in “Survivalist Hate.” Came back with a page of results and half were by web sites quoting you.

Robin

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Survivalist+Hate%22

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Namelus,  flawed or not, right now the most effective method to combat them is to use LE to their advantage. Any retaliation is a felony in most places, so that means more on them.

Post shtf, all bets are off.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

whirl LE responds after  something happens… when dealing with people like that do you want a clean up crew or  to take care of it before it  hurts you? LE is only good to  pick up pieces or if it goes on long enough respond… how long does a life crippling or ending incident take… some consolation. When you are dealing with drugs  there is a violence level not seen  in normal people.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Vadim some good points there!

I am trying to live “normal” life , just like most of the people around me, I smile when everyone smile, go sad when everyone go sad. Laugh at bad jokes, curse about politic.

Privately I follow my own plan. I agree it is hard to completely blend in, I simply follow the rule of “not arguing with different opinions”.
    It is easy actually, I just sometimes go into the discussion about some topics with people that actually deserve to be discuss with.

From this you may conclude that I consider myself like some kind of guru, but actually I just let other to live in their own circles of beliefs.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>namelus wrote:</div>
    whirl LE responds after something happens… when dealing with people like that do you want a clean up crew or to take care of it before it hurts you? LE is only good to pick up pieces or if it goes on long enough respond… how long does a life crippling or ending incident take… some consolation. When you are dealing with drugs there is a violence level not seen in normal people.

Namelus,

I spent 10 years as a member of the largest janitorial semi-franchised service out there, a PD.

Yup, responding after the fact to most problems, cleaning up other peoples excrement.

That doesn’t mean everything was after the fact, I worked a lot of dope. Several dope houses I got shut down after neighbor complaints.  Simply sitting across the street eating my lunch, getting a pole cam set up for when I wasn’t there, stopping every car that came and went, talking to said cars owners about their kids or whoever was driving.

One house was quickly condemned and the firemen got to burn it, one was seized and sold.

Most places have nuisance abatement laws/ordinances. Use them to your advantage.

There are two options here, doing nothing and suffering,  watching property values plummet, the normal daily risks of having a dope house next door, burglary,  theft, etc.

Or being pro-active.

Both have risks, one has benefits.

Invite the Chief of Police over for a cup of lemonade, let him see firsthand the situation.  You may be surprised with the results.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

THere comes a point where if you dont move , you may be stuck there for life , because you waited too long . You see that in every big city in the US . A white family ( usually old people ) are sitting in a house smack dab in the middle of a black or other ethnic crackhead neighborhood , because , when they moved in , it was a normal white middle class area …………but as the riff raff started moving in over the years , they didnt follow their neighbors lead by selling when they could still get a good price for the property . Now they CANT sell it , because nobody wants to live in a ghetto ….so they are doomed to stay . Just Sayin .

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am an outsider in this area. I came here in 2004 as a volunteer to work on the cabins. Got asked to stay as the caretaker. My position is highly visible. Only the folks in my group know I am a prepper. There is no way I can blend in with everyone.  So I am just “neutral.” I am not a threat to anyone but I am also not a native of this area.

This is my BOL. If I do have to leave it will only be a short distance away. I have caches in both directions once I hit the river (approx. 100 yrds from my cabin.)

I have “surprises” in a bunch of places. Will take a couple of days for someone to find them. Once they try to open them that is when they get surprised!

Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Doomed to stay, definitely something to consider.

Family of mine lived in a quiet clean suburb of Chicago for decades. Called South Holland, you can guess what people built the area.

But as the old folks died off, their families didn’t want to move back slowly sold off the properties to others.

The neighborhood became less clean, run down and crime became rampant.

Last time I was there, (20 years ago) there was only my family and one other old couple holding out, the old gent down the block had shot a few burglars so the bad guys tended to avoid that block.

It took a while to sell the family home, not just the price, but getting up the bravery to abandon all they had worked for. The yard, the home, the history.

You can fight change, depending on when you notice it, but you have to start before the decline begins. Otherwise you’re fighting a losing battle. Is it a good battle? Surely. Winnable? Perhaps, but one has to be ready to commit.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Frozenthunderbolt wrote:</div>
    Depends who you’re trying to blend in from.

If you want to blend ‘greyman’ style hiding from govt. then you shouldn’t be here, unless you are accessing through a VPN tunneler via tor . . . ;-)

Agree with most of what you say below that (and absolutely no comments on your political/cultural views, Selco-Jay’s forums are among very few places that are not yet hopelessly destroyed by false dichotomy left-right trolling fights). Probably missing your sarcasm, but I do not share your enthusiasm about VPN+TOR. Would it really be that good, it would be outright prohibited and severely persecuted by TPTB. I do not trust the I2P and Freenet either, despite those two look more and more interesting (i.e. usable) recently. Gnunet one day, perhaps, but with current computers being eventually deterministic systems I just have that nasty feeling…

Back to your initial statement – why of course, hiding from my closest neighbors and local LE+gangs (are they the same yet?), that are able to reach me immediately during/after SHTF. Never had plans to save all of the humanity or defeat ECHELON, for example :-) What for, anyway?

Great strategy on “imperfect” blending elements, which are easy to discard when necessity arises and effectively “disappear”, did not think about that..

Considering “perfect” blending – are you familiar with works of Jack Luna at http://www.jjluna.com/myblog ? What do you think about his approach, if so? I follow the old guy (must be in his mid-80s if I’m correct) for quite a few years already, got a lot of advice from his books and blog in the process (mostly about attitude and appearance, way of thinking too). His writings were substantial motivation for me to drop the “machismo” approach to survival and to start “hiding” – he, indirectly, helped me to develop taste for realistic approaches of Selco and co. I would simply not recognize them before (while hunting for and acquiring latest gadgets recommended by Rawles, for example :-/ , or, referring to one of Selco’s posts, – gas masks, everybody should procure some gas masks by next week!), but when I saw them – I immediately realized this is the real “beef” worth of spending time and effort on, learning from, contributing too one day.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Oldfatguy, if that is possible your advice is sound best from all solutions. Confrontation should be last option if everything else is failed since it always carrying risk.

Thanks Robin, good to see that people want to hear (read) opinion that is actually different from those that are widely accepted, and kinda “macho”.

Profile photo of twincougars
    twincougars
    Survivalist
    member1

There is the age old problem of the haves vs. the have-nots. Even in non SHTF times I have seen this. We are not “rich” by our standards, but are seen as such by other “poor” people. We have several houses, numerous vehicles, dress well (at least my wife does, LOL). Many of our acquaintances live in trailer parks and drive junk cars, if at all. We help them out occasionally with clothes (that don’t fit us, from deceased family members) or food. They are appreciative, BUT, I can tell there is an underlying resentment; a sense of unfairness. They feel like we are showing off our “wealth” by giving them stuff. BTW, this giving is my wife’s idea. She likes to make and keep friends. I am more anti-social, I guess. Anyway, I can see this a a potential problem down the road when TSHTF. The “you have and we don’t so that’s not ‘fair’ and you should give us your stuff ’cause that’s only fair” attitude, as well as the “we’re going to pay you back for living better then we were all this time” irrational thinking.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.