Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

74 – yep have made it a point to be able to navigate any place I lived in the dark since the guy crawled in my window all those years ago. Outside as well. Counting steps becomes a game.

That Big Benji pup is adorable!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Best dog ever, like 3 year old kid in a dog suit.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I think there are many people who are unaware just how quiet it will be post SHTF, without all the traffic and aeroplane noise and all the noise that industry makes its going to be very quiet and any noise will be heard from a long way away, I have been trying to tell that to people here in the UK but a lot are city people who live with noise 24/7 and they have no comprehension of life without noise.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I hadn’t thought about it being quieter, though living where I do it is already pretty quiet. In a world without the grid, it would definitely be darker. That will be hard on urban folks especially. There was an article in the paper where I used to live in MA a few years back about urban folks from NYC who had 2nd homes in Western MA. A common theme for them was that they were terrified of the dark at night and didn’t want to go outside. I found it humorous that these folks weren’t afraid of the human predators in NYC so much as they were about wild animals in the forests outside their homes.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m always impressed with the quiet after a big snow storm. The snow absorbs noise and there are fewer people making it.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

its quiet here even in the day time, I have heard of city people who have moved to the country who complain there are no street lights and no pavements(sidewalks?), their the ones you see in the morning stuck behind a tractor!! they usually don’t last long, 6 months or less and they move back to the city.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Here it is fairly quiet as well. There is also very little light pollution (I do contribute my share however with some of my solar motion lights around some outbuildings at the moment). I know many people who can not stand being in there own house without ‘noise’, a TV, music whatever —and in fact a number that can not fall asleep without the TV on. This boggles my brain.

Have many friends that will not come to an evening at my home because it is ‘so dark’ and there are ‘no streetlights’…and many roads are not well ‘lined’ and narrow. They honestly aren’t worried about the deer or other wild life jumping out in front of their vehicle (which keeps many of us locals at home at night in high season)….it’s the thought of ‘rocketing through the dark’ into the unknown…and what if they breakdown’ (all have cell phones).

My elderly father now living here is still totally freaked by the quiet…and the dark at night. He is constantly going around locking doors on me (I have more than a few). The satellite TV went out in his apartment in the last wind storm and he was completely rattled, entire routine totally f-d with – no TV, no noise – gasp. Didn’t know what to do with himself….and he was really, honestly anxious and afraid.

Anyway, yes the quiet will be deafening – people forget how quiet it was after 9/11 alone (without the air traffic alone) – remember how tht freaked people. I walk around my place at night ll the time. I love the quiet – I can think much better and it’s very peaceful

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I love the peace and quiet, a minute or so out of my front door, turn right, I am walking in the glorious Devon countryside past fields full of sheep, away from the houses, listening to the animals and the birds. I really don’t have much time for people, I can take them or leave them but I prefer to leave them!

British Survivalist.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.