Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Stories like this reminds me about my preps and if any changes are needed.

‘Detroit Goes Dark’ massive power outage http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/massive-detroit-power-outage-affects-courthouse-wsu-dia-and-more/

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

They maybe seeing what happens if a total grid down. Interesting how fast it happened. We need to prepare for a total grid down time.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    The infrastructure is old with no maintenance in 75 years, things are just failing from age.

Profile photo of RSSwizard
    RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

I think its a test run by TPTB.
    Checking to see how people will react, to adjust their plans to maximize the damage for the coming SHTF.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 I agree, I think the country electric grid is old all over, every city has the same problem.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

A lineman I know was telling me nothing has been updated snice it was original. New equipment is only installed when it fails, usually during storms.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Freedom,<br>
    The infrastructure is old with no maintenance in 75 years, things are just failing from age.

I doubt this is the last outage Detroit sees. Even in non-bankrupt cities, there is an aging infrastructure problem but social spending priorities are absorbing an ever increasing share of the budget. Personally I’d rather see social spending start to be capped and money start flowing to the infrastructure that we all depend upon.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Don’t worry it was just a 200,000 A. fuse in the switch room. Its easy to replace. They find the guy in the nursing home and he tells them how to do it. Only cost a couple grand … but its worth it.

They really made this stuff to last centuries.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The electric companies are responsible for the infrastructure maintenance and renewal but since all of the electrical companies are public traded in the stock market so they are all about profits and losses. The government has little to do with the electric grid since all of it is owned by these public traded companies. Yes they will always ask for monies from the government(handouts) that is the way it works.

So they are not interested in investments to renew the grid. They are only interested in profits.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This summer I was walking down the side walk near my studio and on the ground was this gray material formed in long pieces running down the lenght of the street. Looking a bit closer at the material I recognized it as old cable insulation. A hail storm had knocked off all the insulation from the electrical wires overhead. The insulation was so old and rotten it came off all at once. Looking up at the poles I could see that nearly everything hanging on them was decrepit looking. The electrical systems in old cities are just like everything else in them, rotten.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/02/aging-power-systems-detroit/19801935/

“The power failure that plunged Detroit’s schools, fire stations, traffic signals and public buildings into darkness Tuesday reflects a larger problem of aging electrical infrastructure around the country that has worried experts for years.

The chaos of unexpected power loss is all too familiar for people who work in downtown Detroit. Its aging municipal system was responsible for major power failures that caused blackouts in 2010, 2011 and 2013.

But the problem is not isolated to one city. A series of federal and private studies raise alarm bells about the power distribution system nationally, saying it is plagued by aging equipment with high failure rates, obsolete system structures and outdated engineering.

The American Society of Civil Engineers recently gave the nation’s power infrastructure a grade of D+, saying some elements of the interconnected transmission and distribution systems, including 400,000 miles of electric lines, date to the 1880s and much to World War II era.”

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

It isn’t just electrical systems. It’s water, sewer, bridges, dams and so forth. For most people they aren’t a priority until they fail. People are short sighted in this regard.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ Brulen,

200,000 Amp fuse… and the only guy who knows how to change it out is in the nursing home…

Okay… that was funny. Got me laughing pretty good. :)

On a serious note, I’m half convinced it was just lack of maintenance (it is Detoilet, after all. The city is so destroyed and decrepit, they film disaster movies there…) and half convinced it was local Goblins stealing copper and other bits. They do do that, you know…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

While the infrastructure is failing everywhere, the situation in Detroit is somewhat unique. The system that failed is owned and maintained by the City of Detroit Utilities. That means zero maintenance forever. Part of the Bankruptcy plan is to turn that system over to the local utility within 5 years. It is such a mess, that the utility is going to upgrade their systems to handle the load, and abandon in place the Detroit mess. That’s why it’s going to take 5 years. Plus all the political junk associated with getting the plan through.

It is a wakeup call for everyone. This is just the tip of the iceberg. If this system is going to take 5 years to replace with the utility waiting in the wings to get started. What happens if we do have an EMP, where everyone is shut down?

Free: The electric utilities have been begging to be let loose to upgrade the infrastructure for years. However EPA and FERC have put so many regulations on it, that it is damn near impossible to do anything. Remember if the power does not get to you, there is no revenue for the utilities. If there is no revenue, their stock will be worthless. They have a vested interest in making sure the grid is operating at peak efficiency. Have yet to see the government worry efficiency.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m sure it was a maintenance issue, when thieves try for live high voltage stuff the story line is about the dead people.
    This link has people die on video, if that will bother you please don’t click the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1diE6FZv4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.