Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I decided I need a DMR in my inventory for specific situations. I can’t afford the most expensive models but there are several on this list I’m thinking about buying, additionally not listed in the article maybe a top end PTR or DSA. I know everyone has an opinion so I’m interested in hearing the supporting reasoning behind each choice.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/7-deadly-dmrs/

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

OK, the HK triggers suck. The PSG trigger just sucks a little less, and for $500 is not worth it. MBR not DMR, regardless of what you saw on sniper.

DSA FAL, at best a 2″ gun. My favorite, the FAL is no target gun. MBR not DMR.

The answer? The AR10 platform.
    Even the DPMS lo-pro cheap version LR308 is lightyears ahead of the competition here.
    Just use good mags not the junk provided with the DPMS.
    Adaptability, modularity, weight,

Right now I’m looking at replacing my FAL with a PSA AR10.
    For the money, the accuracy and parts availability, there is no other real choice for the money. And PMags are available.

The M1A, starts at $1400, before upgrades that bring it up to the ‘heavy’ SCAR levels in price. And it still falls behind the AR10 platform for ergonomics.

Even the Marines are looking to adopt the Knight SR25 as their DMR.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I dont pretend to know about long distance shooting , dont have the patience for it . The M1A , would not be a bad choice , they are pretty simple , and reliable in bad conditions . Almost bought one , but held out for the FAL , time will tell if I chose wisely . Not liking the left hand side controls .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Whirly,
    I’ve been leaning toward an AR because out of the box they are ready to shoot. M14:s aren’t optic ready and top ejection interferes with mounts. Why do you want a PSA over all the other choices? Stainless or chrome?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks Whirly,
    I’ve been leaning toward an AR because out of the box they are ready to shoot. M14:s aren’t optic ready and top ejection interferes with mounts. Why do you want a PSA over all the other choices? Stainless or chrome?

For a target barrel, stainless.
    For an MBR, chrome lined.

Why the PSA? Because I can get the receiver easily and build using AR15 parts I already have on hand.
    Because the quality is good.
    Because I’d rather build, using the parts and pieces I want in there rather than swapping out parts later. No savings, but I can use top shelf to start instead of rack grade.

I wasn’t kidding about the DPMS, even over on FAL Files, it has a surprising reputation

Tolik, we aren’t taking real long range >800y, but the middle ground, 300-800y.
    After 800, you begin to really talk about specialty gear and guns.

As to the FAL left handed operation, adding an extra thumb safety lever is easy enough, and copy some of the AK handling, such as the under/over hand charging as they can make it easier for those sad folks in their “right minds”.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

PSA has a blem .308 receiver for $75 and a 20″ ss PA10 kit for $600.
    Even at the regular $160 price, the gun costs less than any decent FAL anymore.

Now, its not a heavy barreled version, but as a hunting rifle my kids can use it works.
    I can add a different upper as needed or swap out the barrel easily.

And the parts aren’t 50+ years old and of dubious quality, which many parts kits for the FAL are today.

Picking up MagPul SR25 mags for @$20 is easier than finding good FAL mags anymore also.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    That all makes good sense. For myself I don’t want to build a gun right now, just to many other balls in the air. I contemplate springing for a mid priced gun maybe one of the lower priced LMT mws.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Try a Mosin/Nagent. I have two. The first had plastic furniture installed and the second is OEM. I put a bipod on the OEM one and really like the way it handles. The one with plastic I gave to my son-in-law. Both are tack drivers with iron sights. The rifle is loaded with 5 shot stripper clips or individually.
    Look at your local pawn shops. Ammo is available (7.62x54R) and reasonable priced. My two were under $200 each.
    Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Building in my case saves $300-400 off the top. That’s ignoring tax and dealer cost.
    We won’t count gunsmith rates.

And since the upper is already assembled and headspaced, and I can assemble a lower in 20 minutes including digging out the tools, its a no brainer.

In the case of the 20″ upper, I’d likely swap out the handguard assy and front sight base for an adjustable gas block and a lightweight free float tube, but not until the rest is fully tested and vetted.

Basically I like a couple hundred rounds through the gun before I start making changes and polishing. Shows where the work is needed and which parts are more likely to be problems.

Some guns I prefer to build, some buy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the suggestion Robin,
    My purpose requires more fire power than a bolt gun offers. I have adequate bolt guns and guns in 5.56. I’m just trying to cover all my bases with a .LR308.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    I’m certain I can build one. I just don’t want to research all the parts and vendors.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirl , yeah , thats pretty much my gripe about the FAL , charging on the left I can live with , its like butter , because of all the lithium grease I put into it .
    Robin , I also have a Mosin , its a 1938 Tula , fun to shoot , but is like a civil war musket . I have always liked the 7.62×54 cartridge . If I had the money , I would absolutely buy an SVD Draganov .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.