Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

We discovered quite a while back that Spam will dehydrate nicely. We prefer to use the Spam lite, which has less fat, as it dehydrates without becoming so much of a grease glob. The weight reduction is fantastic while the caloric content remains high. We eat it like jerky and add it to cooked meals, either pre-hydrating it as for scrambled eggs, or just crumbling it up straight for ramen and such. It keeps fairly well, and doesn’t rancidate as fast as other dried meats seem to. I’ve been thinking of putting it in my pemmican recipe in lieu of simple dried meats, but haven’t gotten around to it yet (the wife complains about how much pemmican I have in the freezer now).

Pretty easy to dehydrate. Just leave it go till it gets brittle, or almost brittle, depending on whether you intend to eat it like jerky or otherwise. A gallon ziploc bag full weighs a little over a pound and is the equivalent of half a dozen cans unprocessed. Maybe it doesn’t suite everyone’s palate, but for survival food, it would be worth packing.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m the only one in my family that will eat Spam to begin with, but if I’m running the dehydrator, it’s gonna have deer, antelope or elk in it.
    I’d rather the processed meat still have it’s moisture in it for the convenience factor and not having to mess with it again.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Dried beer sausage is so much better.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I haven’t had Spam since I was maybe a freshman in college many years ago. Nice to know it can be dehydrated like that.

Profile photo of benjammin
    benjammin
    Survivalist
    member2

Yes, game meat would be preferable, but not always convenient. My problem is no matter how much I seem to get it never lasts long enough. Spam is easier to obtain, seems to hold up better once dehydrated, and doesn’t mysteriously disappear from the pantry or the freezer like my game meat does. I reckon just about any processed meat could be dehydrated similarly. Spam was just something we had a surplus of the first time we tried it, so we gave it a go.

I find it ironic how people will refuse to eat certain things. That is, until they haven’t eaten anything for a couple days and their gut is nagging them. After one of my earlier survival exercises, we were given sandwiches made from flattened slices of white bread with industrial strength peanut butter and a glass of reconstituted nonfat milk that was a bit more dilute than the recipe called for. I recall upon seeing the flattened soggy sandwiches and the near transparent milk I couldn’t open my mouth to say thank you because I was salivating so much. After a diet of ants and grass shoots and a spit roasted armadillo, I guarantee your palate will become a lot more accommodating.

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

I thought I was the only guy that liked SPAM. I used to keep a couple of cans in my tank in the Army. No-one else would touch it. I guess that would me mean more for me, nowadays :)

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ve found that pan fried Spam as well as bologna will be eaten as long as the picky eater doesn’t know what it is.
    The bologna seems to be preferred.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I would pack spam as survival food if I could put it on a toasted bun and call it a burger. Dehydrated lite with greens, berries, cheese and white wine to wash it down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.