Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

On this, the 73rd anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, we should all be reminded of the perils of normalcy bias. Yes there were communication errors and poor strategy in things such as lining our planes up in tight rows and having so many ships docked side by side, and those were lessons learned, but perhaps the key failing of the day is still with us. And by us I mean the entire Western world. Japan was aggressively expanding its empire. It had been on a war footing for years. Relations between the US & Japan were severely strained, and yet because they had never attacked us it seems it never occurred to the vast majority of folks that they might.

Fast forward to the present and I am left wondering how many cyber attacks we must sustain before we recognize the inherent peril of how far those attacks might go. How many times does ISIS or other jihadis have to say they intend to bring the West down before the West takes them seriously? China has been preparing for war for some years now, threatening the US and being increasingly belligerent to its neighbors and most blindly go about supporting those efforts by buying Chinese made goods anytime they can to save a nickel. I can see the revelation that maybe it wasn’t such a smart idea to give up critical manufacturing capacity and know-how in exchange for a short term increase in profits as maybe not having been such a great idea. Including letting our then newly recognized enemy supply key military and infrastructure technology. Just like North Korea, Iran knows we’ll keep on negotiating with them over their development of nukes until the day that they in fact have nukes, and then like North Korea, politicians will make a few speeches and that’ll be that. Iran will have nukes. It feels like we are living in the prelude to WWIII and yet so few can see the lessons not learned on Dec. 7, 1941.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtBiker,
    I’m in complete agreement. Add to the the current environment, world wide financial stress. Some country is going to try improving their position by armed conflict.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The difference is , back in 1941 , Americans got angry , and America was out to WIN . Now America gets attacked , Americans get scared , and America has not won a war sense 1945 , we are no longer out to WIN . Anything short of absolute victory …..is a defeat . War is very much like sports , if you suit up and get on the field , you need to be there to win ! …………..if your not there to win , dont show up for the game . Period .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good point Tolik. We barely define who the enemy is let alone articulate a strategy. Maybe that’s why we never actually declare war anymore. During WWII, people accepted sacrifice as part of the war effort. That wouldn’t come so easy now in a world that can’t seem to decide what the top priorities are.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thats very true , back then , the people could see results for their sacrifice , so it was accepted . Now , you see nothing but oppression by your own government . I wouldn’t sacrifice either .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Here’s your trivia question for the day.

Which ship fired back first?

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Re: Fighting to win…instead of getting scared as a nation. I read an editorial about 10 years ago, in a newspaper in India, amused at the fact that Americans were angry at the govt for ‘our boys getting killed’ in the Middle East. The article commented that America was the only country in the world where men join the Army and don’t expect to get killed. Both the Japanese in WWII and the jihadists today have the tactical advantage of being willing to die for their belief/country/victory. I doubt if very many of today’s Americans are made of the same stuff that our Founding Fathers were–willing to risk their Lives, Fortunes and Sacred Honor. That is why our (so-called) leadership is taking us to our knees while we focus on our cell phones or get to the next level of video games…

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

USS Ward.

“Easy one,” says the former Navy guy.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

With all due respect , the Japanese were mentally not much better than animals . And in a lot of asian cultures , human life has always been cheap and of little value . They had very little understanding of long term strategy , they invested very little on equipping their soldiers with the tools needed for success , but rather depending on brainwashing to try to compensate for inferior tactics and equipment on the ground . Look at the numbers , it was not unusual to see 3-10 times the casualties on the Japanese side vs on the American marine side . Suicidal frontal attacks , like a rabid dog , knowing you cant afford the losses or be able to transport reinforcements , thats not advantage , its stupidity . Their behavior in occupied lands made the SS look like mother Teresa , they got a very rude awakening when they faced an enemy that was just as brutal as they were , when the Soviet Union invaded Manchuria ……..just sayin . Religion is a different animal , they are 100% deluded , they cant be woken up like the other type can , that is something that is extremely difficult to deal with . But your right , poor leadership on our part is bad enough , but the amount of people going into the military that really dont understand what the military is actually about , or why it exists is a little scary . Its there to kill or be killed in its most base form . These kids join up for their own reasons , like the GI bill when they get out , and thats fine , nothing wrong with that . But it forces you to ask the question , especially with the history of meddling and conflict of our government………where did they think they were going to be sent ? Sandals resorts ? the French Riviera ?……………….like the fireman that complains about the heat of a burning building , what did you think you were going to be doing when you joined up ? Some folks just dont have the common sense God gave a jacka$$

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>sledjockey wrote:</div>USS Ward.

“Easy one,” says the former Navy guy.

Sorry, the sleep deprivation caught up with me.

Which ship shot back first at the planes?

FYI they fired 23, 000 rounds of .50 cal ammo as well as some larger stuff with zero malfunctions.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Another thing about our current situationis that we are continually downsizing our Military without taking into account the consequences of doing so. Proir to WWII, the USA decommisioned many of our ships(I don’t recall how many or percentages). We also downsized our personnel. Now, we are doing the same thing. Those countries that are capable of attacking us are not downsizing at all, if anything , they are maintaining or increasing their capabilities. As things are now, we will be approaching a conflict from a position of supplication rather than a position of strength. Although ‘boots on the ground ” is important, I don’t think that taking money from the defense budget in order to give our Congress a raise or welcoming undocumented workers to our shores is the way to go.
    Before people jump down my throat, I do not have a problem with folks immigrating lawfully (my own family immigrated from Scotland years ago) but I do have a problem with people sneaking into our country via the backdoor and then thinking that that gives them the same rights as those who, in some cases, waited until they were authorirized to do so, whether for humanitarian reasons or because they filled a quota from a country. Ron S

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Sad to say this day passed and most Americans had no clue of the significance of the date. Totally oblivious.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.