Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    What that really means is that the insulation could melt and burn. I dont think that the wires would could melt. If that happens the interior of the vehicle will catch fire and I’ll be walking anyway.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The insulation will melt on some areas were the heat will come out. Remember that all appliances wire is insulated but they will fry too. Transformers wiring is well insulated but they will burn up. This is why they keep saying that only 197- on down will work. Some of the cables of the batteries will melt too. The EMP will travel though the wire and hit the electronics but some wires will burn up because the EMP electricity volt will be very high.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Ok…. I was going to be quiet about this just because I am very opinionated and really do try to leave things alone many times, but after watching his video I can’t help it:

WTH is this idiot talking about? He contradicts himself several times: Your bug out vehicle doesn’t need to be something that you are ever going to fight out of or needs to me armored, but then he talks about driving down a quiet road where someone takes a pot shot and shoots the driver in the head? Seriously? Pick one, not both depending on how your rambling goes. Also, he then talks about not needing an armored vehicle because everyone is just going to be working to get rule of law put back in place, but the talks about “not getting lit up” because you drive an armored vehicle? So which is it? No armor, look like a victim because you are going to “get lit up” or protect yourself and yours because you are going to “get lit up?” How about the vehicle itself? He says that you should have steel wheels and it should look like a POS, but then he shows a newer van with aluminum wheels and nice paint? Have a “piece of junk” but make sure it is in good shape? Make sure your vehicle is “protective” because some guy is going to throw stuff at you, but you don’t need to be worried because earlier you said we are all going to be trying to restablish “rule of law.” These are just a few of his rambling contradictions…..

This guy needs an editor and as you can see, I am not a fan of his. He might have some nice ideas on some things, but I hate the way that he pushes some weird agenda that I can’t put my finger on. If he had just done a review of several types of bug out vehicles and then concentrated on what he liked and why, I wouldn’t be bugged as bad by it. Instead he seems to preach his opinion as gospel. “Dewd… Pick something and report without telling why it is better than everything else. Just tell why YOU like it.”

My thoughts: Your vehicle must be able to make it through bad roads and blocked roads, must be mechanically sound, needs to be easy to repair, and has to be able to protect you from any number of dangers to include people. The first couple I mentioned really are common sense. The protection thing really comes down to this: When you look at war torn countries, what do you see in regard to disabled/burned out vehicles? Mostly local ones that yell “I am a victim.” Why would you expect to make it through a “check point” in a mini van? Anyone that has ever watched war footage knows that check points and road blocks are easy restocking points for people. If you come across one (and you will because the general population have a sense of entitlement and they think that yours should be theirs) you can expect to be robbed. So why wouldn’t I want to plan for that? I am not talking about a Mad Max vehicle, but I am talking about something that has heavier steel and enough power to evade/sneak past/circumvent/whatever these type scenarios. I also don’t see where a generally hungry population would risk assaulting an armored vehicle when people in a mini van might be an easier target….. Just saying that no matter what you pick, you are going to be screwed so pick what works for you and yours…..

It really doesn’t matter what you drive or use, imo. I think that the main thing is timing and how quickly you can bug out before you do have to worry about the general population, government restrictions, and impassible road conditions. The longer you wait, the worse it will get whereever your are.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

sledjockey wrote:

It really doesn’t matter what you drive or use, imo. I think that the main thing is timing and how quickly you can bug out before you do have to worry about the general population, government restrictions, and impassible road conditions. The longer you wait, the worse it will get whereever your are. – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/debunking-bug-out-vehicle-fantasy/page/2/#post-33631

This is far more important than the vehicle itself. The problem is knowing when it is time to go. In a world that goes from one crisis to the next and sometimes several at the same time, it becomes harder and harder to know when the current crisis is the one that will spin out of control.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>sledjockey wrote:

It really doesn’t matter what you drive or use, imo. I think that the main thing is timing and how quickly you can bug out before you do have to worry about the general population, government restrictions, and impassible road conditions. The longer you wait, the worse it will get whereever your are. – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/debunking-bug-out-vehicle-fantasy/page/2/#post-33631

This is far more important than the vehicle itself. The problem is knowing when it is time to go. In a world that goes from one crisis to the next and sometimes several at the same time, it becomes harder and harder to know when the current crisis is the one that will spin out of control.

This is why it is so important to have the right prepping ready to go. The van is good if you get the news first and are able to get out before the SHTF where everyone is shooting at you. In the cities I thing they will be shooting at every vehicle that is moving no matter what it looks like.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, why be quiet when you could make valued contibutions? He does contradict himself as you point out. He makes a point about the potential to be attacked at any time but never has a solution either. My point in posting it is not whether people agree with him but to encourage making an assessment of their own needs. BTW, What type of vehicle was made within the last 60 years that has thick metal parts? As thick as the metal was on my 47′ ford truck it would never stop a bullet, not even from a 22lr.
    I think he makes 2 good points. Load capacity and shelter.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, If you need an armored vehicle a van makes sense because the sides and floor can be lined with sand bags making a bunker. You give up a lot of capacity for other things but you have some protection for passengers. The driver is SOL

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, I like the idea of the van to get out of any danger. Vans are a great cheap bug out vehicle.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, also a + for vans is they do not have a lot of wiring and the wiring they have is easy to repair or replace. Buying all the spare electronics and some extra wiring will do the trick.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Usually I try to stay quiet until I see if anyone else addresses what I was going to mention. Too many times I have piped up at the beginning of a thread only to find that there was not enough discussion going on yet, so the thread dies. I also like to get other people’s perspective and weigh it against my thoughts so I have a more “well rounded” opinion. As a friend seems to always say, “meh.”

As for steel, many heavier duty vehicles have much more steel and are stronger than others. Take for instance the difference between a Ford cargo van and a newer Toyota van. Better gas mileage and more comfy in the Toy, but I would rather have cinder blocks thrown at me while in the old Ford…… None are going to stop a bullet, new or old. Old might fair better if you have to punch a hole in a road block, however. It is also easier to weld onto heavier steel than lighter panels/doors if you end up doing repairs or modifications as well. Need a propane tank carrier, fuel can carrier, tow bar, spare tire rack, place for the in-laws to sit while driving? Weld away……

Again, I agree that the right time to move is more important the vehicle. If you pick the wrong time, however, then vehicle choice might raise a few spots on the list.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, you are right on about the old ford. They built them strong.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Timing is very important, but if you leave your dwelling in a timely fashion and only have enough with you to go backpaking for the weekend you could have problems. If you have a stocked location to fall back on ok then no problem. If you were planning on bugging in and are forced to leave like a refugee you better have room in your vehicle for lots of stuff and passengers.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

A van for the food will do good. If you have a large family then you will need more then one.

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

Have an enclosed utility trailer preloaded with everything but individual family members personal effects. Then just hitch it up and go. Maybe put a logo on the side like, ‘Ace Sewer Cleaning’, or ‘Medical Waste Disposal Inc.’

I think too many people are expecting total WROL. A much more likely scenario will be too much ROL in the form of martial law as the primary threat, probably mixed with urban civil strife and crime. Governments tend not to simply evaporate overnight, especially one like the US government that has been prepping for this in a way no individual can. No prepper has anything like the preps of the US government. The US Federal Government is the ultimate prepper, and in a crisis it treats all local governments as a subset of itself.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

VEP,
    You are right on it today. However the Fed is not ready for a crisis level like EMP.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.