Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin,

After the first body is placed in the building and sits for a few days, no one will go into the building again. This building would have to be a long way from your camp.  Dead things smell really bad, big dead things have more smell.  You would need a couple tons of lime.  Egads the flies it will produce.

If I lived in the city I might think about opening a manhole and dropping them into the sewer system.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

At 25 degrees Celsius which is equal 77 degrees Fahrenheit after two days the body has begun.But its not to noticeable to your senses. I know this from my mothers death. Any hotter and you can guarantee the body to decompose even before this. Like 1974 said put one in and come back to put more in, um nope likely not going to get past the door.  Only Time this may work at all is if the bodies where held in a frozen state.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Flies, flies, flies…don’t let them into the house if these conditions prevail, or you too will be among the dead.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

From the World Health Organization re dead bodies.

Seems to me the best thing to do in the average thinking of when SHTF is dig a big trench, do w at you are capable of doing to ‘log’/identify the dead, make note of where buried and dig a mass grave for the time being.  Death has a distinct odor, even before a human passes away. 12 Hours after death – reach for your mask and then some.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Here are some useful links about dealing with the dead after a disaster

The first group puts to bed the wide spread notion that dead bodies (of people who were healthy before death) are a source of contagious diseases, and why they are not: (Later edit: to clear up a misunderstanding, these articles refer to healthy people who have died, not to people who have died from disease – such bodies must be handled in a way to minimize the potential to spread the disease further).

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/4343222

http://afludiary.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/disasters-dead-bodies-and-epidemic.html

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-06/paho-and052504.php

This second group gives some information about how to dispose of dead bodies in a disaster situation:

http://www.unicef.org/cholera/Annexes/Supporting_Resources/Annex_9/WHO-tn8_disposal_dead_bodies_en.pdf

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/tn08/en/

http://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/management_of_dead_bodies.pdf

http://www.icrc.org/eng/assets/files/other/icrc_002_0880.pdf

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There are two different conditions of mass death and the dangers.  Death due to injuries they feel it is safe to handle the bodies.  A pandemic is entirely different.

They also note decaying bodies pose a threat to health and have advice on minimal distances to water tables and supplies.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

elijah, 1974 is right a pandemic will have the contagious diseases go every were in water.

But one of the biggest problems is the decaying bodies will contaminate the water supplies in your underground well water. HIV virus will be a live for up to six days after, and there maybe other viruses that do the same. After that there is no more contagious diseases alive but you will get a lot of animals which will bring a lot of diseases(rats). If there is a new epidemic(new Virus) that we do not know much about then all studies go out the door.

But after five to six days the bodies will not be contagious, but it will bring in a lot of wild animals which many have diseases so if anyone in your group gets bitten by one of these wild animals and there is no hospitals open then they may die too!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Well, indeed, I know well (as a microbiologist back in the day) that diseased dead bodies must be handled safely to prevent contagion spread. But I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that some people believe that any dead body could be diseased just from being dead; it was this idea that I was thinking of. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have amended the earlier post.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

elijah, Yes it is only on a contagious disease happening. In a SHTF many of the dead bodies will not be contagious if they do not have a virus like HIV or other virus, and it is for a 4 to 6 day time frame. But it will bring in wild animals which I think is a problem. Many in a SHTF will let go of the dogs and these dogs will turn into wild bad dogs. Then you have the rats which carry every disease around.

But you are right that many contagious diseases can’t live in a dead body, they need a live body to keep them self alive.

Also another thing to keep in mind is will there be an bio virus developed that can stay alive in a dead body for longer or become airborne too! We do not know if a country has develop this.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Some maybe not needed details,but for those who do not know i need to say that death can be dirty thing, especially violent death.
    Right after the death occurs muscles relax, including anal sphincter, so very often there s gonna be feces.
    In violent death organs may (very often) prolapse of of the body, and body fluids may be everywhere, so it adds to the speed of decomposition and smell.

Multiply that with some number of body (in case of some big SHTF event) and you may get the picture.

It is very very dirty and smelly. Rats, flies, dogs, other animals and insects. It is bad picture.

It is not like dying in home with full care or in hospital, even there it can be dirty. It is one more thing that is not like in the movies.

I remember the cases where I simply could not enter the room, where was body few days old, with billions of flies, on hot air, and I have pretty good stomach for that things.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,
    Point well made.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, Very well said. Animals will come from every were.

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.