Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Get a few bags of slaked lime ( garden store) strip bodies and put lime on them will help the decay, if contagion you will be dealing with more than one mass grave only fast way when everyone sick.

or you can learn a lesson from news and use drums and caustic soda /lye if the mexican cartel disposed of hundreds of bodies that way so can you in a few days nothing but slime and a few bones all the other is is dissolved. again no clothes

burning works but requires a lot of fuel unless you have stockpiles of wood you dont need may over tax resources if burning one at a time in time of potential mass sickness.

Tolik think about how long man has been on this earth and think… everywhere you can dig probably has been used at some point especially areas where most major cities are. In some European/asian countries you rent space for set time then they exhume and put bones in Ossuary.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

You need to have lot of disposable items, as more as you can, bags, plates, masks, gloves, shoe covers, aprons, gowns, etc. I am not talking only about medical items, but also cups and similar.
    Soap, rubbing alcohol, sanitizers, bleach…

Also one room in your home needs to be designated for sick folks.
    There need to be part of your home (or yard better) designated for “decontamination” when you coming back to your home from outside world, so you can remove all your possible dirty clothes and clean yourself before entering home.

Sometimes it is impossible, but everything counts in trying to stay as clean as you can.

About dealing with dead body, in city it can be problem because you need to find any kind of free ground to dig it, and sometimes it needs to be very close to home because security reasons.

Burning bodies sounds practically but in reality you need lot of fuel to burn the body to the let say “usable” form (or size).

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Then there’s always the Tibetan Sky Burial method of disposing of bodies

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Tweva….OMG!! I just google image searched that and fell off my chair. Wow thats a toughy, but in Rome!! I think I’ll stick with a pyre. Plus we don’t have those big old vultures.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco point of the disposable items is the most important part in a contagious disease!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Tolik, I know exactly what you are talking about there. Anonymous people who will never be remembered, who had hopes and dreams and relationships that meant something at the time. I heard (rightly or wrongly) that dog-tags were first devised and sold to soldiers during the American civil war so that at least their bodies wouldn’t be anonymous and prevent that nobody would ever know know what became of them.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Great advice everyone. I think carrying the bodies away and either burying or burning them would make most sense. I really dont know what I would do if I had to burry my wife. I’d just do it to get over it. If there are contagious diseases I would try to get as much information about them as possible and might even abandon the place for some time / months if thats an option.

@Gypsy
    Taking care like this of your mother is admirable. I really think experiences like this help us to get more in touch with death which is very important. It can help you to understand that “carpe diem” matters and also that death is a natural part of life. Great points in highlighting the SHTF way of doing things.

@Tolik
    I loved to go to old graveyards when I was a kid and imagine what these peoples life were like. When you see the dates on some of the gravestones dating back a couple of centuries it really gets your imagination going.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Selco what did you do with I think it was your grand uncle who died?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

He was buried in closest area with enough ground (earth) for that, nothing else, just buried. It was pretty normal in that time. People were buried in parks and similar because of danger of going to real graveyard.

Later when all was gone there were exhumation and proper burial. In some cases parks were later “renamed” in graveyard.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Here we keep a big and a small hole/pit open in the back of the property at the edge of the woods. When you have livestock and live in a place where the ground freezes hard, it’s easier to already have holes dug for burial. Used to be a knacker that would come and pickup carcasses but no longer.

Gypsy – re Tibetan Sky Burial -…I KNOW! Uh.Can’t imagine.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In a SHTF I do not see any other way but to burn the bodies. It will be hard when you have to deal with a family member.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Just letting vultures etc dispose of the bodies is not healthy since other vermin (rats, dogs, coyotes etc) will proliferate and carry disease. Although some African cities use hyenas for general refuse disposal (maybe bodies too), since they hang around outside the city wall anyway, waiting…

I know burning is fuel intensive–I was thinking of one or two dead. To me, it is the most sanitary. Unless you have huge quantities of lime or lye on hand to disintegrate the dead bodies.

In some areas, security and lack of “diggable” ground will present problems for earth burial. But I admit a mass grave would be best for epidemic situations.

We will be required to face these decisions if/when things go down. I know in India, it is not uncommon for bodies to be added to the “berms” of garbage along the roadsides, esp if a beggar or Dalit. And then the pigs, chickens and street dogs are grubbing through it…. things are going to get pretty gross when bad things happen, as Selco says. We must mentally prepare for it.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I wonder how much Lye one would need? Might sound strange but I do make my own soap, so I always have lye hanging around?

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

it goes by body and fat content from knowing a bit of chem i would say 2 50 lb bags would melt a 200+ pound person in a week or less remember you need a little water to start action and it wont do in steel after market accessories. and not in aluminum.

Lye(NaOH) is great for soap making and KOH for bio diesel Slacked lime is a must for open latrine treatment.

I remember hearing about a body liquefaction funeral type service

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14114555

the article says 3 days nothing left at 10 atmosphere at 180 degrees using KOH a double in open single pressure only problem now you have a lye soup you need to store or dispose of though easy enough to return to a ph near 7 and dump safely

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Burn baby burn!
    Seriously though, I think fire will be the easiest/best disposal method for the dead.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.