Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

There will be death in your group. How do you think you will handle the matter?
    Someone or something will enter your SHTF and be contagious. How will you handle this matter?

Robin

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Death will be met,and it will be a bad bad day. Being one of the stronger people in my group. I can see me having to deal with it more so. When my mother passed away in 2000, I was at the time 25. She passed at home with her doctor present. He allowed the family to keep her with us for mourning which was only a couple days. Two I think. Well while she was with us. After the storm had calmed and we where able to function again. My father and I went into her room closed the door.
    My brother was in no way of handling things at that moment at all. So he kept my oldest daughter who was two at the time company.

After Dad and I figured out what we where going to do. We both came out and scrubbed up. He went and found a large bowl and filled it with warm water. Then grabbed a face cloth and towel. Mean while I went and picked out clean cloths for her.

We both met back up checked on the others, then went back into the room.

Both of us removed the bed cloths, then began to wash her down. we dryed her off then dressed her. Was it hard.. Yes. We stripped the bed with her in the bed and replaced the bedding. and we then placed her blankets on her comfortably again, in a way that she just looked as if she was sleeping.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
    If this had been a SHTF type of death we would have thought out more.
    Yes we would have went through every thing we did. Only this time hospital masks and aprons would be worn.
    At the end we would not have remade the bed with her in it we would have wrapped her up in the blankets.
    She would be then buried. We would then stripp down and shower and change.
    *********************************************************************************************************************************.
    With out knowing if they are contagious, newcomers would be placed in quarantine which would be a area out side normal living areas at out BOL.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, You need to have stored rolls of plastic and duck tape so you can tape up an area(room) were they will be. Buy the 3M 1860 N95 RESPIRATOR AND SURGICAL MASK/BIRD FLU 20 per box. Every time you go in and out of the room the mask needs to be put in the trash and take it off but DO NOT TOUCH THE OUT SIDE!! That is were the virus is. Maybe get a small bag and throw away the masks in the bag.

About the dead that is a hard one to answer. You need to put the body in big plastic trash bags. You can use some duck tape on the bags to hold them together. Home Depot sells the real large construction bags, the heavy plastic ones.

That is for starters, there are many other thing to do but it all depends on what the virus is or what type of flu. The contagious diseases are one big problem. If it is a bio virus we are in trouble and we may have to put the plastic on all doors and windows. Buy the best virus filters for your Central A/C. Make sure that when you change the filter that you have gloves and trash the filter and gloves in a big trash bag.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Thank you freedom for adding the contagious section. I was headed off to check out what we had planned out in our planner. But you nailed it.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Maybe do what many cultures do, and burn the bodies. You would need a very hot fire and lots of fuel. I remember trying to burn a sheep on my parents’ farm that had died of disease. It was not easy, probably because we stacked the wood on top of it, instead of under the body. Must give this some thought.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

How about bodies shot in SD? What if the LEO’s are still floating around, or what if they’re not functioning?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wild,
    Bad bad smells.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you Gypsy.

wildartist, You are right is the virus is a real bad one then the body may have to be burned.

Remember to buy the 3M 1860 N95 RESPIRATOR AND SURGICAL MASK/BIRD FLU 20 per box. Do an Amazon search. I purchased them there. I got three boxes. Need to get the gloves too.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

1974 I have to agree, the smell would be very bad. And in a Shtf world Between the fire and smoke it would be a huge becon to were people are aswell. When my mother passed and was home with us it was May in Ont canada. So the weather was already getting pretty warm out. I can tell you after two days of her being with us, the smell of death was beginning. She wasn’t sent out to get all the things done her,that a body has done before they are sent for the funeral home. She was picked up by the funeral home then taken to be cremated right after.

But if contagious yes burning far away from life would be a grand idea.

George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gypsy and 1974, the dead bodies will be a problem because they will not only smell bad but dogs and other animals will come. If you burn them there is the problem of the huge beacon to other people. There is no easy way.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I’d rather hold perimeter guard while burning bodies than live with the summer stench of rotting bodies for weeks, and have to deal with scavenger birds and animals–who might be carrying disease from the last corpse they fed upon. Thinking of a vulture dumping on my tent after feasting on a corpse is not pleasant nor healthy.

Make the fire hot and put the body on top of a lot of fuel. It will be over in a few hours rather than weeks. More sanitary too.

As far as the “beacon” effect–set up a guard. If near a city, there will be countless other fires besides yours. Far enough out in the country, maybe not noticeable if done at night in a low area or ravine. Smoke would be invisible in the darkness; flames would be hidden.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Wildartist this will show you more along the lines of a Funeral Pyre. This video was created for a small dog, but one could expand it quite well.

George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

wildartist, Agree the cities will be full of fires.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Thinking about it more and more burning may be better in a lot of cases. Home our ground is mostly rock so burying would take picks and jack hammers. The BOL is on softer ground that could cut into well. But newfoundland is called the rock for a reason.

George S. Patton

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Kind of off the subject , but when I was a kid , I lived in a very rural part of Arizona . In this area , there were a lot of homesteads from the 1800’s , the homesteads themselves long gone without a trace most of the time ………………we would go out hunting quail ……………..and I remember running into a pioneer grave ……..more than once , out in the middle of nowhere . It always gave me the willies , because I always wondered who it was , what they did , their dreams , etc…………and now nobody to remember them . I also vividly remember a community cemetery we found , again out in the middle of nowhere , overgrown and forgotten , about 7-10 people buried there , so overgrown that we were in the middle of it before we noticed .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.