Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/articles/10-deadliest-snipers-of-world-war-ii.html

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If find it interesting that in several of the pictures the shooter is shown with a Mauser or a rifle other than the Russian Mosin Negant.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL , well the Russians didnt have much to choose from , but they did make use of captured equipment when possible . What I find interesting is that they used women in a sniper role often .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    With every picture just a photo op I figure they would make sure they were holding a Russian made gun as part of the ad campaign.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I had chance to know several guys sharpshooters (snipers) and more then few times I have been on the “other end” of the sniper ( luckily i am still here) and one thing that I still remember about those guys is discipline.

Of course there were guys who just happen to get sniper rifle and they shoot, but I do not find the anything like real sharpshooters.
    Since it was pretty chaotic time most of them were simply amateurs, or highly skilled hunters in peace time.

But there were few of them who were professionals, mostly strangers, mercenaries. People who do that for money, for living.
    And one of the best was guy from UK, real mercenary, he did not looked like real soldier, story was that he was ex SAS but who knows.

Interesting for us in that time was that he used to carry whole package of small chocolate bars, and when he took position he could be there without any movement for hours, checking and looking destroying people and those candies in same time.
    Nothing like real warrior that people would imagine, but one of the best (or most dangerous).

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Saw NBC bit where they went into the Syrian town that was under siege by ISIS. Most of the snipers were women. One said that if a Muslim was shot by a woman, that was the ultimate dishonor. Guess I’ll have to get the wife working on her long range shooting.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The funny thing about most of the Nagant sniper guns, they weren’t that accurate.
    About half I’ve played with were hard pressed to beat a 3″ group at 100y. But then again, much of the eastern front sniping was in town and under 100y, so pinpoint accuracy wasn’t needed.

The standard Mauser, not a sniper gun had to beat 2″ to pass muster. The sniper guns were often chosen for their accuracy.

I have in the cabinet a Mauser ZF41 that with junk ammo will still shoot into 2.5″ from a rest and open sights, the scope being lost somewhere in the last 70 years.

One reason so many women were Soviet snipers, was that the men were often off at the front lines, leaving the women and the young and old to fill in other positions that were less physically demanding.
    You use the resources you have.

One famous female sniper, Dr Ruth.
    Yup her.
    Granted it was with the pre- IDF, but still.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

74 ,
    its like a lot of propaganda , depends on the spin you put on it .
    Whirl ,
    you also have to remember that the ones you shot had some age to them , probably some neglect as well . The accuracy was probably better when they were brand new . One of my favorite guns to shoot is a Win 1895 Army carbine in 30-40 Krag , it was made in 1915 , and still shoots fairly well ……………..but I bet it would be a world of difference , when it was brand new and tight .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Tolik, actually several were like new.
    Collector of military guns I know has a penchant for top grade, preferably new specimens. I got to use a number of his ‘seconds’.

Bore diameters varied greatly, optical quality on the original scopes was not up to 1950s standards let alone todays.

Ammo quality varies from decent through dreadful. Much of the military stuff varies heavily depending on storage and quality of the original manufacture.

And let’s face it, commie quality control has never been the highest.
    Guns or ammo.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

That is very true , especially with an oppressed and unmotivated workforce . I guess motivated by fear .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.