Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 383 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tzizh, are you also from SA then? I presume you left long ago then?

You are right that our stuff often owns us. It is hard to walk away from that which you have built or made productive, especially if walking away means starting over with nothing. I think in a situation such as we have in SA where the decline has been going on for decades, folks have had time to continually adjust to the new normal again and again. It is probably easier to know it is time to go when there is an abrupt change. There is probably also something about human nature that make us think that “it won’t happen to me” even when you see it happening to many others.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

How many South Africans have left the country? I will not be able to say if this is correct. There is about 4 554 800 white people left in South Africa. About 544 298 white people have left in the last 20 years. Black, Asian and Indian are pouring into the country. Gauteng and Western Cape received the highest number of migrants. I found this article written in 2012 (note before Malemma was voted into parliament) http://www.thesouthafrican.com/how-many-south-africans-live-overseas/ “UK still leads the way when it comes to the number of South African-born individuals living within the country’s borders; figures from the past few years have revealed that the number of South African-born people in Australia stood at 155, 690 whilst there were 227,000 in the UK. This does not include the number of children born to South African parents in Britain. The next few countries topping the list were the United States with 78 ,616, New Zealand with 41,676 and Canada with 38,310″ —-2012

But if you could ask how many people are there in SA– About 70 million. The country’s last census, conducted in 2011, estimated that there were 51.8 million people in the country. The latest population estimates put the number at 54 million. But the population could be as high as 70 million according to Unisa.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The population where I live is very stable and has been that way for decades. In fact its so unchanging the state would love to put in low income housing. You know how that goes over. Not.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The population of my State (Vermont) is also very stable, but with only a single Congressional seat, it doesn’t matter in the electoral game. One is as low as you can go. Most folks are OK with things as they are here, but some do-gooders in Burlington (the largest city at 42,000 people) keep wanting to bring in more refugees. Some Americanize very well, my wife is friends with one such family, but some do not (but they like all the entitlement benefits).

Leopard, I’m not sure it matters whether the population is 54 million or 70 million. 4.5 million whites is way too small a minority in a country with a govt. and general populace hostile to whites, and in a scenario of a faltering infrastructure and economy. Whatever % of the total whites represent, it will continue to fall. It is already in the single digits. My fear would be the infrastructure and economic problems triggering a race war if the govt.leaders need someone to blame and to distract the populous with. Minority populations have been singled out in that manner throughout history.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I totally agree with MtB’s comments. I think the danger will go way up for minorities.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Yip, we have been blamed for many many years. Some news on the infrastructure in Gauteng. This one comes with advance warning at least. No water in big parts of Johannesburg from 24 January for at least 25 hours. http://roodepoortrecord.co.za/2015/01/16/25-hour-water-outage/#at_pco=cfd-1.0&at_ab=per-13&at_pos=0&at_tot=6&at_si=54bd5ce3149f8a4c

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Nothing new – but still good advice
    — Load shedding threats are looming and being prepared can make life easier.
    With the threat of load shedding looming over us, being prepared for the upcoming weeks of possible blackouts can ease living conditions.Keep a checklist of the daily tasks which need to be done to ensure smooth sailing during the next few months.
    Lighting -Keep torches, candles, energy saving lamps, gas lamps or anything that will provide a decent amount of light nearby.Although candles are good, they pose a bigger fire threat and battery powered torches are recommended. Also make sure you have sufficient batteries to power all your lighting equipment.
    Medical supplies In the case of an emergency, keep your first aid kit or any medical supplies close by. Hunting for supplies in the dark when you’re in a hurry can lead to further injuries.
    Food Prepare meals well in advance and cook food that does not need to be immediately refrigerated. If you decide to opt for a takeaway evening, purchase your meals ahead of time and head home before the power is out to avoid security risks.
    Keep ‘em charged Phones and batteries are top priority. Keep your phone battery fully charged in case you need to use it for an emergency. Remember that phone lines also go down during a power outage, limiting you to cellphones only.
    Daylight Use the last bit of daylight to the best of your ability. Bring washing inside, put the cars away, pack away your gardening tools and hoses and ensure all important items are kept inside. Be aware of any items that could be used by intruders to gain access to your home, such as furniture, braai equipment or loose bricks.
    Transport With most petrol stations not equipped with back-up generators, ensuring your car has sufficient fuel is a must. With ATMs going down as well, keep some cash at hand or in a safe place at home.
    Gates and motors The battery life in most automated gates does not last long after the power has gone off. Release automatic electric garage door mechanisms and switch electric security gates to manual to allow access to your home and garage without hassle. As some gate motors require keys to gain access, keep them with you at all times. http://zululandobserver.co.za/56779/be-prepared-for-load-shedding/

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Johannesburg – The Parkhurst Residents’ and Business Owners’ Association (PRABOA) have now embarked on another project which aims to get over 2000 homes in Parkhurst off the Eskom grid and totally self-sustainable

Beech explained that the project was extremely futuristic and included recycling, water management, solar power, vegetable gardens, biofuel, and electric charge stations for cars.

http://rosebankkillarneygazette.co.za/150871/parkhurst-goes-off-the-eskom-grid/#at_pco=cfd-1.0&at_ab=-&at_pos=4&at_tot=6&at_si=54c7818cf77cb220

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Every day I try to run my business, I keep an eye on things happening in my area. Try to get as much as possible done before power goes off again. Making decisions about which route to take, it is mind boggling to try and figure out where to buy fresh fish – you need to know which shop really keep things going while electricity goes off. When will the electricity be back this time..?
    You need to know when it is TIME to go. When the whole grid goes down. Three days – that’s how long it will take for people to start losing it all together (not 14 days like in civilised countries)
    So – we will keep on working until there is no more electricity…MMmmm??

And then…then a strong man, apparently he used to be a station commander (ex-police), gets shot through the heart in front of his wife and child. He then gets hacked to death with axes by the three armed robbers. . inside his house not so far from ours.
    Days later his child still in hospital being treated for shock.
    You read the news and go on with your daily work. But now I make sure nobody is even in the street before I open the gate. I do everything outside before the sun sets. Will simply not allow anybody into my property. My big dog is also spending more time inside.
    Been two days of “simply keep on working” But somehow I realised that they will come for me and my child. He asked me yesterday- Why they attacked him after he has been shot in the chest. And today my child asked me “Why would somebody throw away a baby?” A coloured baby survived after being put in a plastic black bag. Ants covered the small baby that was found by a security officer. I looked at my child. They are just very cruel people.. with no moral values.
    I know you love your school and friends but that is why we need to leave. He looked at me, and said. “We can home school. It’s ok. I will work hard and we can save money. We must go now.”

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

In the relatively short time that I have been part of this forum following your posts it seems to me that things have just slowly but steadily gotten worse. Trust your instincts Leopard. If you think it is time to go, then go. No amount of money is worth harm coming to you or you son.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Africa has always been a place of polar opposites, the beauty of the landscape versus the savagery of the inhabitants.

Ian D. Smith made a comment that haunted him to his dying day, about Africans not being ready for majority rule for a thousand years. Some 40 years later we are still finding out just how right he was. The depths of the savagery of some of the natives is mind numbing in its violence and pointlessness.

It’s not a black/white thing, it’s a more ignorant than the stone they are using to beat a goat to death with thing.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

“He had a very helpless feeling during the attack, especially when he was tied up lying on the ground and the attackers disappeared with his wife in to the house.
    He did not know whether they will torture or rape her.”

http://southafricatoday.net/south-africa-news/farm-workers-help-apprehend-two-farm-attack-suspects/

http://southafricatoday.net/africa-news/southern-africa/namibia/farm-attacks-are-getting-more-frequent-in-namibia/

Farm attacks are getting more frequent in Namibia

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Is 20:00 still daylight where they were assaulted? its almost like they should have had house sitters even if it was only a short time they were away. The 4 thugs took possession of the property and waited. But how did they know the schedule. It would seem like one of the farm workers is not so friendly.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Brulen, in Namibie in summer it just start getting dark at 20h00. Towards Gauteng it is dalk by 19h00 in summer. Yes, some small farmers do not employ black farm workers anymore. And the theft/ murders goes down by about 90%

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.