Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 383 total)
  • Author
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank you, Malgus. That will certainly work. By adding some features to normal security doors, I might just start a new trend ! Mmm We really are thinking more towards middle ages ‘The word portcullis comes from the Old French porte-coleice, meaning sliding door.’ We need to take our friends and family, buy a piece of land and build a castle
    Castle Defences
    – got a son in primary school. hehe

Robin, I do have one adjustable door brace. Good idea ! It works with a key. We’ve got to many doors leading outside. So it its permanently guarding one door. Have not seen it in shops on this side -should try and get more. I know people use broomsticks to prevent sliding doors from being opened. Placing them horizontally in the ridge on the floor, between the wall and the closed door. A rubber door stopper or even thick loose carpet does a good job as well.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

What do you think about this bit about private security? Is this accurate?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Just like the doctors in South Africa gain a lot of experience in very short time- the police and private security get a lot of experience. Being shot at and shooting at suspects very very often. There is a few very good police men left in various units, like the dog unit. But unfortunately the overall police are not very good or effective. The criminal has got more rights than the police. They are not trained or equipped very well – sorry to say. Sometimes their heart is in the right place. The dog units struggle with dogs that want to attack the black officers or the other way around. Or black police woman that points firearms straight into their partners back while searching for a suspect.
    Without private security there will be anarchy in South Africa. The smaller security companies are more effective. You always need to get a local opinion for a good company in that specific area.
    Apartheid laws has been gone for 20 years. The white people in South Africa work very hard for what they’ve got. Paying up to 45% tax on their salaries. Most cultures stay together – that will not change, simply because it is natural. Indian people stay and work together. There are Chinese neighborhoods. And all the indigenous groups like Zulu, Xhosa as well. Farms that has been taken from whites has been destroyed within a year or two. They will take the corrugated iron from the roof and built a shack instead. Not simply staying in the house. Black people have been given houses in our area. The windows are now broken, the area littered. Nigerians are selling drugs and the neighbouring houses being broken into. Homeless Zimbabwean people pour into the country on daily basis. They are willing to work hard and in the process take the jobs from local people that tend to belong to unions that strike twice a year. Limpopo and Gauteng is just below Zimbabwe. (Cape Town is at the very bottom of the continent)

The Western Cape is safer than Gauteng. In that You Tube video they say Cape is most dangerous – not true. I’ve stayed there for 5 years without fear to go jogging on the beach or riding horse in the mountains. My friends still lives there. They do not go into black or colored areas. White people from Gauteng is moving to the Cape province because there is less crime. Again – nobody prevents black or colored people from buying in areas where white people stay. It is actually the opposite. Banks are not allowed to give house loans for white people to buy houses in neighborhoods where mostly white people live. There are less than 10% white people left in South Africa. White people now tend to have one or two children. Black people have about four children. (They’ve got more than one wife) The schools in this area has recently been forced by law to have certain percentage black scholars. The government does not even support the schools financially. Many parents simply took their children to private schools that we ourselves started. In South Africa you need to do things yourself – and white people tend to make a plan and adjust. You cannot afford to have your child stabbed with a knife or going to school feeling unsafe. Black children in an Afrikaans speaking school? They simply force the school to change the language to English.
    Till today black people like eating their mielie pap (maize meal) with their hands. People do not realize that African black people have their own unique culture. Less than 200 years ago, they were running in the grasslands with animal skins tied around their waist. Hunting for their food with assegaai – stick with pointy knife. They did not know how to write or read. Had no books or boats. Were not even riding the zebra’s. They killed each other by hand – looking the other in the eye while doing it.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Leopard,

I was thinking about that swinging bar idea. Unless the cage door is as wide as it is tall, it will be able to be moved a bit. Let me think a bit. I can probably come up with something just as simple and effective.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank you, Malgus ! Can you imagine, we start a new effective way of delivering criminals to police..

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSaZx0oZ_LM#t=104 A Hijacking 13 May Gauteng. Victim was shot twice. (Safe to look – no blood)

Best to reverse park and leave property facing the road. My dog would have attacked up to the point where shots get fired. Get vehicle bulletproofed.. only about R250 000 : (

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Leopard – Thanks so much for posting.  I’ve been in countries and New Orleans that required fences with glass on top and such, but only for the low level burglaries, not the persistent thugs you are talking about.  What a shame that you’re uber switched on senses has become the “new norm” for you.  I hope that you situation improves or you get the chance to move for the protection of your family – realizing it’s a difficult decision to make.  I can’t leave my doors unlocked in So. California, but we don’t have fences or bars or any of that and I’ve only lost one speaker from my Jeep (that I left unlocked by accident) in the past 10 years so I suppose we are fairly safe.  Regardless, still have a big dog and lock doors because I think it’s a mistake to be too trusting of anyone regardless of past “safe” time frames.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

The South African Special Task Force
    Some old video’s of many years ago
    They will always be part of our history. Please note Not for Sensitive Viewers
    Episode 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwGQ91R5rk
    Episode 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eiznoQW6Gg
    Episode 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Wnm0yIwyU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Task_Force_(SAPS)

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Leopard, I only had time enough right now to watch a portion of the videos but I did get a good sense for the Special Task Force and what they do, and the situation on the ground that they must work in. It is good that you have them. That people live their lives needing the level of security and precautions that you take in your everyday life astounds me. I am 61 years old and I don’t personally know anybody who has ever had their home broken into nor do I know anyone who has had their car stolen or who has ever been the victim of a violent crime. I do know people who had things stolen from their cars, several who had their credit card #’s stolen (one being my wife and in her case it happened more than once), and someone who had a bicycle stolen from his garage, but nothing worse than that. Serious crime does happen everywhere and anywhere of course including the communities I’ve lived in but the issue is whether the level of crime is at a level that one has to live defensively. We all should always be aware of our surroundings but that is different than living with an expectation that something might happen.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

One thing to note, the STF videos are from 1993”ish, anyone involved is long retired and either hiding or emigrated most likely.

That level of service and sacrifice is long gone from what I can determine through the grapevine.

A beautiful country, too bad its turned out like it has.

flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2

I’ve got 8 mil security film on my windows and several Buddybar door jammers. It’s an improvement on security and allows me a few extra seconds to respond.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Most of my family members has been shot at; houses has been broken into. Some car jacked. My employees have had weapons pointed at their heads during robberies. Yip, its a different world.

Yes, Whirlibird. I do know some of the older guys personally – most have left the country many years ago. (where they are still working and doing what they do best) STF as far as I know, does still operate. We do not hear from or of them often. We have got a Tactical Response Unit now, that we see often.

The qualities I would like to have :
    Physical strength and ability
    A sense of responsibility
    Mental Endurance
    Maturity
    Leadership skills
    Sound judgement
    Perseverance
    Rational and methodical thinking
    Handling stress
    Observation and orientation skills

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Flatlander, the windows make a big difference. Especially on vehicles. If they can not see how many people is inside , they might just not attack you. To dark windows attract to much attention. I’ve got buddybar jammer as well – I think it works better on a carpet. The normal rubber (door stopper) kicked nice and tight under the closed door, also does the job. But it is best to have a security door made from strong iron. It depends on the person looking after the keys, how safe that locked door is.

If they want to come in, they will simply break both doors down. But it gives you time to wake up and prepare yourself, if you are inside.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Those qualities are greatly lacking in most LE candidates.

You speak to any of those gents, give them my highest regards, from one ex-LEO to another.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Spoke to one few hours ago via internet : ) Will do

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.