Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 383 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Dorette.Forrester,

I’m glad you and the others are here as well. I’m gaining a perspective on the world that I never had before – simply because the information was not available. Our “news” media are certainly not providing it. I think you point out a very important preparedness item that few people can easily do without – some kind of social interaction both pre- and post-SHTF. As things are now (pretty deep into the pre-SHTF phase in many if not most developed places in the world), it’s good to have a perspective on things, bounce ideas off others, gain from others’ knowledge and experience, etc. And just knowing that somebody knows who we are and cares, can mean a lot to most people. While there are exceptions (we even have a handful here in the Forum), I think in one way or another the ability to communicate with others is more important than mere physical support. From my perspective, I consider myself better off for having learned from you, Leopard, Dutch_Viking, Proteus55, and others outside the US (just off the top of my head – not intending to leave anyone off the list), about what it’s like elsewhere, the various histories, etc.

And having the rather varied input from the US-based people is also a great uplift because of the challenges at times which force “out-ot-the-box” thought, and also the varied regional circumstances and viewpoints. People in the far northeast US (New England states) generally have a different mindset in some ways than those in the south, midwest, desert southwest, northwest mountain states, etc. There are distinct cultural differences even within the nation, despite a sense of being “American” at the same time. All those varied perspectives along with the collective experience and knowledge from everyone is invaluable – you can’t get it in a classroom or from a canned TV program. I appreciate the “community.” Thanks to all.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/sa-faces-food-price-shock-as-rand-adds-to-drought-woes-20151126

South Africa is sitting on a food price time bomb.

The effect of the worst drought in more than two decades is being compounded by the rand’s 18% plunge against the dollar this year to a record, boosting the cost of imports of corn, a staple food in the country that’s also used in animal feed.

Food inflation is set to accelerate… crime..

And then there were the aliens! Checking out Cape town http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/twitter-abuzz-after-ufo-sighting-above-cape-town-20151128
    Private hospitals in SA – news

http://www.health24.com/Medical/Kidney-and-bladder/About-Kidney-and-bladder/south-african-returns-from-the-us-for-life-saving-surgery-20151127

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

And yet the govt. isn’t likely to start protecting the farmers trying to produce food.

Whether the aliens are welcome in SA or not will likely depend upon what color they are.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Leopard,

So, the American doctor wouldn’t operate on the man because he didn’t want to take a risk and spoil his own alleged reputation? That ought to be headlines in the US. Glad to hear that at least something is still going right in SA (private medical care) – until the doctors either die off or leave the country.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

GeorgiaSaint, I’ve learned so much from this forum and its people. I know people over the world can read every word – but somehow I do feel safe sharing my thoughts. Communication and knowing someone out there cares… very important. You are alone – but knowing someone cares, helps. You will keep fighting the elements and the daily problems. And if you’ve got no communication…? You must also know that you yourself are strong and clever enough. Believe in yourself and be proud. You might be tired and just need a few hours good sleep to tackle a lot of work and get things done.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

http://www.news24.com/Live/SouthAfrica/News/watch-incredible-first-person-footage-shows-high-speed-police-motorbike-chase-and-shootour-20151203 high speed police motorbike chase shootout
    While chasing the vehicle, the officer opens fire on the vehicle that is eventually forced to come to a standstill. The driver is arrested; at the end of the video police appear to begin their search for a suspect that managed to flee the scene.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

PLEASE NOTE: NOT for sensitive viewers / readers. I do not want to upset people. I just need people to understand that we are up against animals, people that’s got no morals or love
    Link https://stopwhitegenocideinsa.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/nightmare-on-a-farm-11-of-the-thousands-gruesome-farm-attacks-in-south-africa/

5 December 2015 Farmer, 63 years old, shot Rustenburg area. Wife still in hospital. Attacked by six men
    4 December 2015 Farmer, 75 years old, shot 6 times. Aberdeen, Eastern Cape. He phoned for help before he died.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

For a quick daily look at SA, on Facebook there’s ‘Intelligence Bureau SA’,

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Whirlibird, sadly one cannot look at that page unless one is a Facebook member or at least allows them to track who’s looking at the site (I tried anonymously, and nothing comes up on the screen at all). I’m tracked on plenty enough sites already – this one included, obviously – but Facebook is not one I’ve chosen to share my unique computer credentials or IP address with. Ol’ Mark Z is just in much too tight since 2009 with our friends in NoSuchAgency for my comfort (hat tip to Edward Snowden – love him or hate him – for the attachment).

[attachment file=”prism-program.jpg”]

(My wife and I were remarking the other day just how prophetic Steppenwolf with “Monster,” Buffalo Springfield with “For What It’s Worth,” and Barry McGuire with “Eve of Destruction,” were all those years ago. For those not from the US or old enough to remember, those were 1960s protest songs that were way ahead of their times while being current AT their times.)

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry, I’ll copy the links and post them in a new thread.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

This is how some people live in the city… Your vehicle tyres get stolen..

http://www.honeydewcpf.org.za/files/Crime%20Brief%2003.11.05.pdf

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Leopard, for some reason this link is not working – maybe temporarily down, or possibly something wrong in the URL. Any ideas? (Multiple tries over the past few minutes, will try again later.)

For what it’s worth, please know that others “out here” are at least aware of your circumstances, and are hoping and praying for your safety and good fortune (and for the safety of your child).

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

The link above simply goes to a news letter of a police station. Not all police stations has got websites. It is good to read what is happening in areas around you. (I am sorry that it does not work for you there) It is not that important information. It is becoming a bit ridiculous for me that they are stealing the tyres. – Copy paste

WARNING TO PARENTS
    A warning is issued to all parents/guardians of learners who are presently writing exams and are at home alone studying. Kindly ensure that the learners keep doors and security gates locked at all times and that they do not open gates to strangers. The learners should also be briefed on all procedures in the event of emergency. All emergency numbers should be readily available which should include the Honeydew SAPS numbers as well as
    your security company etc. They should also be aware of the nearest corner to the street in which you live so that this can be conveyed to emergency workers should the need arise.
    THEFT OF AND FROM MOTOR VEHICLES
    Due to an increase in the number of parties at present, a number of vehicles have been parked on verges outside of the property and this has resulted in an increase in the theft of motor vehicles, as well as the wheels being stolen off parked motor vehicles. Residents are requested to park vehicles inside the premises behind closed gates and if this is not possible residents need to arrange extra security for vehicles parked on the verges.
    STREET ROBBERIES
    Residents who walk/jog/cycle in the early mornings and late afternoon have been asked not to wear valuable jewellery or carry expensive cellphones, as this makes them soft targets for criminals. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
    RESIDENTIAL ROBBERIES
    Residential robberies continue to be a problem especially in Sector 3 mainly at the Townhouse Complexes and this crime is most occurring in the early hours of the morning. Residents are once again requested to ensure that all doors, security gates are locked and the keys removed from the locks.
    Preferably do not leave windows open and make use of fans during this hot weather.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

It is good that people are being warned in this manner. Hopefully people listen.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I’m the email contact point for our unofficial neighborhood watch, and no one has let me know of an alleged recent break in right on my street. Our pest control technician mentioned that he heard on his police scanner about a home break in on our street last week, yet I’d never have known if he had not told me. I wish we had a police crime list printed in the local paper, or on a police web site as I’ve seen in some areas, but no such luck here. What’s concerning is the lack of involvement of so many neighbors. They live in la-la land, happily uninvolved and unconcerned – until they get hit! Then they want immediate safety and protection.

That’s what started our unofficial group a couple of years ago – a sudden string of burglaries and other incidents in a previously very safe, quiet neighborhood. One neighbor organized a big meeting at a nearby church, and a member of law enforcement came out to explain how Neighborhood Watch works. In order to get active cooperation from law enforcement, a certain percentage of the residents in a given area must participate. We weren’t up to that level, but everyone left very motivated to recruit their neighbors. I volunteered to be the email list coordinator, and new “members” were sent to me regularly – at first. All that attended the meeting got a great booklet with all kinds of helpful information about self-protection (including home lighting, how to report, what to report, etc.). I sent out alerts whenever the was a new incident, and we became aware of two particular vehicles (no one could get license numbers however), and one particular named addict that was going around asking for work and then stealing, etc. Great start!!! I sent out additional emails with more tips on protection, alarm systems, lighting tips, properly locking double driveway gates that are easily bypassed by pulling up the vertical bar that goes into the ground, etc. People were excited. The streets became better and better lit up in front by security lights. Sides of houses were no longer dark for anyone to go between houses and access the backs of the houses, etc.

And a year went by, one group of criminals was taken off the streets, and crime went down. And the lights gradually started being left off at night (an open invitation to criminals, saying to them, “We aren’t an aware, active community here. Hit us!” Reminder emails have brought a few lights back on – for a while. And now we’ve had a break in and no one has even reported it. We never did meet the threshold to become an official Neighborhood Watch community to gain more active law enforcement support.

Apathy/ignorance is a dangerous thing. But it also tells me who I can count on (which isn’t very many) in our area, when the SHTF. It’s been very instructive (and sad). It has also pointed out more significantly, just how valuable this Forum is. As was pointed out in another thread, the awareness it brings can either produce paranoia, or it can bring peace and preparedness. I choose peace and preparedness. I can’t control everything, and we may in fact get “hit” at some point. But at least we’re better prepared if we do, and we’ve minimized the likelihood of OUR house being seen as a good target, compared to the dark, unprotected houses in the area. Some of us will be left alone more than others. And if the really “big one” hits (society disruption and chaos), I have a better idea of the very few I can likely count on as allies.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.