Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 383 total)
  • Author
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Johannesburg – The full might of the drought has hit Joburg with a vengeance.
    Three water towers have run dry leaving entire suburbs in the north-western areas without water for almost three days.
    To add to the crisis, major retail stores are running out of bottled drinking water.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/people-going-crazy-over-water-1.1943863

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/mass-culling-as-drought-worsens-1.1943986

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard,
    Where could emergency water supplies come from? Is the government going to set up water tankers filled from somewhere else? Are they asking for international aid yet?

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Southern Africa also very dry – http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g293761-d477382-i115668029-Mosi_oa_Tunya_Victoria_Falls_National_Park-Victoria_Falls_Matabeleland_No.html
    The Southern parts of South Africa had good rain – and I think we will be able to have drinking water for a few months in Gauteng, Limpopo and Mpumalanga. But without summer rain and so many heat waves, we are going to or are running into no food for animals – very quickly. It is after 22h00 and 30 degrees Celsius (86 F) at the moment. Were 39 today (102 F)

People cannot afford higher food prices.. Look at our Rand – http://www.fin24.com/Markets/Currencies/breaking-rand-falls-to-weakest-level-ever-20151106 If we need to import food…?!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

That is just gut wrenching, Leopard. My first, immediate thought was wondering if a handful of international organizations could put together a relief effort in the form of large transports filled with water, since large trucks probably wouldn’t work in that area. In the US, a large convoy of trucks could bring water from less than 1000 miles easily, because we’ve got well developed highway systems, areas with plentiful water in direct reach of drought-stricken areas by highway, a huge trucking system, etc. But in your case, despite “mother nature” not being on your side right now especially, if the government hasn’t long ago planned for alternate sources and/or routing of water, even large shipments would still only be figurative band-aids on gaping wounds. It’s as much a systemic issue as it is a climate issue, at least from this person’s view from halfway around the world. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I suspect that the ruling government pre-Mandela would never have let it get this bad. South Africa, again from a very distant perspective with highly incomplete and distorted media coverage, appears to have gone into a downward spiral ever since it was forced into changes that put even more corrupt people in power – people that were not competent to run that sort of structure, and who were even intent on destroying much of what existed. Regardless – and this is not just soothing words on a computer screen – you are in our prayers (meaning my wife and me), both politically and safety-wise, but also for the absolute essential of water. [Rhetorical question/ON ]Where is the planning that should have seen this coming and made sure that water supplies were going to be available from elsewhere?!? [Rhetorical question/OFF] I simply cannot wrap my head around the concept that human beings suffer, and power brokers playing gigantic political games live high.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

In Africa you need to look after yourself. You need to be self-sufficient. Driving along some streets I see green water tanks on some corners and some trailer water tanks from local government. But after three day without water in some areas most people started to panic. With no water to buy in close by shops.. I took 5 litre water bottles and was driving around late at night making sure everybody that works for me had water. Almost all of my clients got new water tanks in the last two months – as part of their system. But that too was not enough and they were shocked when I informed them they had no water left.

Some areas received water; others in Pretoria run dry without any notification. I’ve been without water for four days earlier this year. I am glad now – sometimes you learn much faster in hard times

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

We are so spoiled over here. We call the water and sewer company, and a true blockage is usually addressed same day or within 24 hours. If it’s a septic tank system, then the owner has to find someone to come out and dig, but usually there is someone to call. Americans too often forget how blessed we are, partly because we don’t know anything about what’s going on in so many other places. I just went to Google News and these are the six “most important” headlines of stories they think we should all know from around the “World” :

Myanmar army, president endorse Suu Kyi victory, vow stable transition

Court move deepens Spanish standoff over Catalan secession

European and African Leaders Near Deal on Returning Migrants

France won’t dine without wine, cancels dinner with Iran over menu dispute

EU Move to Label Israeli Settlement Goods Strains Ties

Taiwan and China: a handshake more symbolic than constructive?

I went 12 more stories into the “World” news before they ran out of “important” headlines, and not a single mention of the drought crisis in South Africa. I guess the liberal “climate change” narrative is not as important as the beautiful success in South Africa since Nelson Mandela was released from prison and turned the country into paradise. We cannot damage THAT narrative, now can we?

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

So far, KwaZulu-Natal (KwaZulu-Natal was ”extreme” with Hazelmere Dam sitting at 25% full, which affected supplies to Durban), Free State (water shortage problem since October when the Smithfield dam went dry. Currently drawing water from our second water source… Caledon River, which will soon dry out from the lack of rain) , Limpopo, North West declared drought disaster areas. Mpumalanga is about to be declared a disaster zone

…the drought currently affected some 173 of the 1 628 water supply schemes nationally, serving approximately 2.7 million households.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/free-state-water-shortage-intensifies-20151111

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

“We are so spoiled over here,” only because Zero & Co haven’t completely succeeded in wrecking society and our economy yet, and formalizing the dictatorship they’re straining to perfect. I’d rather be “spoiled” by a modicum of civilization than be forced to begin the Dark Ages next week, though I am hedging my bet.

In the USA, you need to look out for yourself, too, though it might be more effective to snake out the sewers of DC, Statehouses, and City Halls, than just the manhole down the block.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

By spoiled, I didn’t mean we should not value what we’ve got – only that we (collectively) look at it without much regard to what it took to build it, or what it takes to maintain it now. People just “expect” all those services, through temper tantrums of their lights go out for 30 minutes during a severe thunderstorm, etc. Spoiled in the sense of “expectation,” with no appreciation for how much more we’ve got than so many others around the world. We’re privileged (NOT in the guilt-trip sense that word has come to mean these days) to have what we have, and deserve to have it because we built it all for ourselves as a nation (collectively speaking). Barack Hussein Obama and his evil minions did not build it, but far too (increasingly) many believe the government just magically provides all these things for “us” – and “we” don’t have to do anything to keep it – it’s all owed to “us” starting with a $15/hour starting wage when we drop out of high school and bag burgers, with 50% increases each month, with a no-fire clause in the contract.

In the meantime, we have no clue what’s being experienced in Europe or Scandanavia by original Europeans and Scandanavians, or what’s happening in South Africa, etc. We’ve got it so very good, comparatively, and don’t have a clue…. The rest of everybody else can just drink soda and call a plumber. [sarc/OFF]

Meanwhile, Roto-Rooter wouldn’t be sufficient in DC or the collective statehouses. The big portabella (as Dennis Miller once called it) would seem more useful.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

So much that I want to say about all the above.. but no time. Just thought I will share this link. – I should be sad, but somehow I just shook my head…. http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/water-tankers-stolen-in-joburg-1.1944283

http://businesstech.co.za/news/general/103645/nearly-6000-water-related-jobs-at-sa-municipalities-are-unfilled/

Part of the reason why we are running out of water. Lack of infrastructure and leaking pipes.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

FINALLY! Though there’s still not a single story on Google News about the drought in SA (I just scrolled through all of them, not just the first few that came up in the “World” news section), Fox News, a US cable network, finally aired a story about conditions in Africa. Why it’s not showing up in Google News as an “important” or “top” story, I have no idea. But at least one network is reporting it. It’ll be too little, too late for many, I would guess, but perhaps some help can come now with attention.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

dup deleted. Not sure what I did to post it twice.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

dorette, Leopard, and our other SA members, the deterioration of conditions seems to continue slow but sure. Has the pace of whites leaving the country picked up?

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.