Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 383 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

So, at 10-1 rand to US$, R 20000 is $2,000 US and a R $8000 would be $800 US.
    Is this math correct?

Roughly.

The conversion rate was around 12 : 1 this morning.
    Try .083 x rand to get dollars.

Yes closer to R12-00 to the 1 USD. Instead of allowing businesses to choose their own racial targets, the BEE generic codes put pressure on firms to increase black representation to 60% at senior management level, 75% at middle management level and 80% among junior managers. The problem is that you cannot find suitable qualified blacks so you have to employ them regardless of their skills. The skills deficit is really a problem. In government department it is even worse. According to economist Iraj Abedian (note not white) said: At least 95% of our black executive cannot run the show and the one place where this is concentrated is in our parastatals. They have the title, get the salary and it seems employment equity has been achieved but they do not know how to do the job. 120 000 white civil servants have left the public service since 1998. In practice, the ANC’s determination to bring the public service under state control has severely weakened the states ability to deliver goods and services to especially the poor. New BEE are intended to give black South Africans significant control over the ownership and management of existing businesses. Firms must seek by 2017 to transfer 25% of their equity to black South Africans and you must by 70% of your goods and services from empowered (black) firms. Small enterprises (turnover between 5 million and 35 million Rand). What small business can run on having a black partner who cannot contribute? Now the students at University of Cape Town is demanding that the statue of Cecil John Rhodes be taken down because of his colonial history. But deeper than that runs the fact that these students struggle at University because government schooling is so poor (in 1996 15500 experienced white teachers were asked to take packages to make way for black teachers) and then they have to compete with the cleverest white students (only 2% of medical students at UCT can be white) – now they say there is white arrogance at University. They also want black lecturers because they perceive white lecturers to mark them too strictly and failing them. So how to you keep standards at an acceptable level for all if they require standards to drop? (A lot of white children cannot get into university but the blacks that do get in do not finish – huge drop-out rate). They are now talking that 50% of the farms must go to the farm workers. So I cannot see any of this ending well, however, reading an interesting article by the Institute of Race Relations this morning whereby the South African Communist Party in its “PATH TO POWER” document is calling for totally getting rid of overseas investment to break its dominance over the economy. Also that local private business will have to be destroyed in order to get control of sectors of the economy. So as you can see they are busy with planned destruction, even of their own peoples futures in order to bring communism in. This morning in the newspaper it said that the government has decided that Mandarin must be taught at schools from next year. Cuban engineers and mechanics are being flown in at huge cost to fix army vehicles and municipal sewerage and water plants, however, you have white engineers who can easily do the job but they would not employ them. So there is an agenda to impoverish and push the white man out of the country. Reverse Apartheid and no one is taking notice what is happening.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Eskom is preparing a national blackout – conducted a national exercise

The scale of unplanned outages is so extreme that doing the planned maintenance would necessitate load shedding on a scale that would endanger the whole network, says an engineer involved in Eskom’s maintenance.

http://www.citypress.co.za/business/eskom-to-lose-more-power/

http://ewn.co.za/2015/03/30/Eskom-dismisses-claims-of-two-week-long-blackout

http://ewn.co.za/2015/03/29/Eskom-denies-planning-a-national-blackout

Eskom confirms that the price increase to be implemented on April 1 2015 to Eskom direct customers is still 12.69% and for municipalities will be 14.25% from July 1 2015

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Wow. Thanks for the explanation Dorette. It is worse than I thought and it seems that those in charge don’t care if the economy fails. That the grid is failing and the water situation is precarious makes more sense. I can’t speak for the rest of the world, but the media in the US pays no attention to SA at all. Nelson Mandela always got coverage but now that he is gone they don’t pay attention to SA at all. I make it a point to try and be informed about what is happening in the world and given virtually no coverage anywhere else, I have learned more about what is happening in SA on this forum than from any other source.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Leopard, I know that many individuals and businesses have generators for when the power goes out but how much fuel is kept on hand to keep them running? A two week outage is quite a long time and if the power is out everywhere it could prove rather difficult to resupply.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Mountainbiker, it is like a decease. If you know you are sick you can get your affairs in order. Maybe it is better than being run over by a vehicle. In a way we are getting used to living without electricity with all this electricity outages. But being in the city I think it will take only two days for things to spiral out of control. Even with big generators running, some of my clients are battling. The generators get hot running continuously. They probably have fuel for two three days only in general.
    Even if we are prepared – the masses are not prepared. The stress levels are building up – the economy is falling apart. With increases monthly on fuel that affects everybody really hard.
    I had to really look at my budget this month. The bussiness sectors are being sucked dry – hyerinflation next.

I live in a security estate, so I asked one of the guys in charge of Security if they have contingency plan in place in case of a black-out. His answer to me: I don’t believe much in doom and gloom or sensational journalism. They only have diesel for 36 hours to keep the electric fence on. Houses in estates are often open without burglar bars etc. because you have the increased security for the estate. You have to wonder how a guy like this can be in charge of over 1000 households? No comprehension at all of what would happen if people start going hungry and start looting. I’ll have to get out of this estate as fast as possible when this happens. If I had to be a looter I would target these estates first.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

My head is spinning. You have neighborhoods of 1,000 households surrounded by electric fence for security? And inside the fence many homes have additional layers of security such as burglar bars? I am at a loss for words.

Yes, that is correct. However, inside these estates the houses do have additional electric fences and has often not got walls around the house. The estate is surrounded with palisade fencing that is electrified and we have about 15 armed guards that patrol the estate. The vehicles are equipped with infra-red night vision and we have cameras on the perimeter of the fence. We still do not sleep with our doors open. We also have boom gates through which you enter with your finger print. The security company has now got a helicopter in case of an unlawful entry through the fence. Having the helicopter is new, however, that is if you have fuel to run it on. In the case of a grid collapse, no electricity to run the electric fence with, no fuel for the helicopter etc etc. So not having electricity is putting you at a very big disadvantage.

Sorry, do NOT have electric fences around the individual houses. So you have a far more open atmosphere. No burglar bars. However, we do have alarm systems which operate while you have electricity and your back-up battery last.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

What is the law on owning handguns, rifles or shotguns?
    Robin

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

dorette. I don’t doubt but that it is very pleasant living within the estate and that it is a highly desired place to live but in my mind I am envisioning something out of some futuristic movie. That or a war zone. You are right that it would be a target if the defenses were shut down due to a grid failure. Assuming there is some sort of homeowners association, it might be wise to advocate for more fuel storage. If there are limits on personal gun ownership in SA, it would be good for the security people to have extra’s that could be used by residents in an emergency.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

My head is spinning. You have neighborhoods of 1,000 households surrounded by electric fence for security? And inside the fence many homes have additional layers of security such as burglar bars? I am at a loss for words.

It certainly is beyond the blue light system with alarms for the students to activate on the college campus where my daughter goes to school in Ny. Swipe cards for room and dorm entry but no fingerprint ID yet. Security cams all over the place. Only 20,000 students arranged in quads with towers and inner courtyards. We’re catching up.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Maybe we are catching up Brulen, but for me it if far beyond anything I’ve imagined. My town doesn’t have its own police. Our coverage by the County Sheriff’s Dept. consists of 1 person assigned to patrol 7 towns. The VT State police don’t even have cruisers out on patrol 24/7. I’m just recently getting in the habit of locking the doors when we’re home and inside the house. It’s always unlocked if I’m outside. My detached garage is never locked even if we’re away on vacation. I know this is not the way it is in urban areas but what Dorette described was beyond anything I had heard of before. I like life in my little bubble.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It sounds like Paterson N.J. although economicly the two are not similar. In Paterson lots of buildings have razor wire on the edge of roofs. Additionally chain link fence is installed out to the street enclosing the sidewalks to keep anyone from accessing the front of the buildings. It’s the kind of place you walk down the middle of the street to keep from being jumped. Ya and it’s New Jersey.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.